Outdoor shoots: No relfectors, how ah?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lemontree

Sep 23, 2004
Woodlands, Singapore
besides those expensive $200 + dollars reflectors for outdoor shoots, what else can I use to replace that with something cheaper? :dunno:

Erm... those silver thing to put on car windshield to block off sunlight? Think its called sunshade...:bsmilie:

The last time I checked, a simple regular sized reflector cost only about $50? I'm not sure what size a $200 reflector looks like. Anyway, there are always alternatives you can look out for. A simple white paper board/styrofoam board may do the job as well, albeit a little cumbersome. A off-camera flash can also help in such cases, although results may not be as natural. Lastly, nature/buildings offer natural reflection to fill in shadows as well. Sand, water and even walls can help if you take time to place your subjects at appropriate spots. Hope this helps :)

Found a white colour wall, sandy beach, a pool of water, these are natural reflectors.
The $200 reflectors are branded ones, eg Photoflex.
There are other non-branded ones cost abt $50.

And there is something called "the art of reading light", and using harsh light to make dramatic images.

And the best thing is, it is free!

Use a styrofoam board. You can get it for free.

I use fill flash, off camera hotshoe, triggered via IR.

jbma said:
Use a styrofoam board. You can get it for free.

i am wondering... if i use those styrofoam box (use for storing fishes & such) den cut a hole in the middle of it, put a flash in, will it look like a softbox?

use translucent cloth for curtain can oso. can fold during transport & wash if needed!
if need a panel, use 2 bamboo pole & some pegs (borrow from mum). if i got a really big piece can do layers 2 tune how translucent i 1! wah-lah!:bigeyes:

sorry bamboo pole cant fold, buy 2 monopod or anything got telescopic legs!:sweat:

what about white small umbrellas?
so many white umbrellas r available in Hangten show rooms and very cheap .
Easy to carry also...

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
i am wondering... if i use those styrofoam box (use for storing fishes & such) den cut a hole in the middle of it, put a flash in, will it look like a softbox?

:thumbsup: You alway got funning idea ah..:bsmilie: Wonder any one try that.. Got time must try hehehe..:lovegrin:

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
Don't think it will lah bro. The light would still be quite harsh. A softbox soften the light. You will need to play around with the settings to achieve what you want.

jbma said:
Don't think it will lah bro. The light would still be quite harsh. A softbox soften the light. You will need to play around with the settings to achieve what you want.

den can i cut the cover into 4 & act like a barn door? ;)

hmm i think it will need a white cloth as well... maybe its time i make a cheap softbox to try...

amospi said:
:thumbsup: You alway got funning idea ah..:bsmilie: Wonder any one try that.. Got time must try hehehe..:lovegrin:

funning? :bsmilie:

when someone have a problem i normally have about at least 5 ideas, 1 from each square corner... den 1 from the top... haha...

if my dad din name me andrew, i think i would be either called Jack or Frank... :think:

You can buy the compact form from Art Friends to us as reflector. I use a matt sliver sticker sheet paste on one side, it become a sliver reflectors, gold color sticker sheet also available.

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
den can i cut the cover into 4 & act like a barn door? ;)

hmm i think it will need a white cloth as well... maybe its time i make a cheap softbox to try...
Hmmm I guess you could. Yes you will need a white cloth to soften or difussed the light. come to think of it you might just be able to make it. Eh let me try when you finish doing your ok.

DCA if you want make a soft box out of polyform box, best that you place the flesh inside the box and point at the base of the box, so the light is bounce back just like umbrella lighting, and a tracing paper cover up the opening.

This is a great idea, I'm sure it will work, why I never thought of this before?

catchlights said:
DCA if you want make a soft box out of polyform box, best that you place the flesh inside the box and point at the base of the box, so the light is bounce back just like umbrella lighting, and a tracing paper cover up the opening.

This is a great idea, I'm sure it will work, why I never thought of this before?

you pro mah, must use those professional equipment wat, i am those cheapskate kind lor, u see my setup u laugh lor...

btw i won't place my flesh inside lor... i'll place my flash only... i dun wanna keep my flesh there to let others eat...

Status
Not open for further replies.