outdoor shoot: flash?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pangzzz

Jul 14, 2004
Bishan
hi there,

newbie here.....will be going for an outdoor shoot soon and i was wondering whether i would need a flash to take some decent pics?

i'm currently using Nikon F80 with SIGMA 28-70.... was worried tat cloud cover might cause the photos to be underexposed if there's no flash?

thanks very much for your help

Why not? I've deployed up to 1~3 SB-800s for flash usage when doing outdoor portraits.

If you know your exposure, you will not worry about shooting portraits when it is cloudy, sunny or under shade.

You can use flash for outdoor, mostly people is use flash as fill light, you can set your flash minus compensation -1 ~-2 for more natural effects, do some test to find out which ways suit you.

Hope this helps.

hellooo there...

thanks to the pros for their insights... what is Qflash?

Long time ago I thought ppl who uses flash outdor in bright daylight are silly. Only after coming to the hobby i realized one may still need flash to take away ugly shadows even outdoors; unless you can oriented your subject such that they are in basked in direct sun on their face.

ianpaice said:
Long time ago I thought ppl who uses flash outdor in bright daylight are silly. Only after coming to the hobby i realized one may still need flash to take away ugly shadows even outdoors; unless you can oriented your subject such that they are in basked in direct sun on their face.

Interesting concepts!

do you need flash to take decent photos ?anwer is yes and no. It depends how you handle the light that is there and what is the look you want. Flash is not a die die must and not to step on toes - the more flashes you have does not necessarily mean the photo will be better; its in the control of rather than the quantity of that is the crux. That is to say if you know how and what to do using many flashes will give you a better picture otherwise ....If you cannot get a correct exposure, it could mean you need to research more how a meter works and how to meter correctly. It also means using manual metering mode more than A or S or P mode. This is something that you will have to practice to understand, getting tips how to does not teach you understanding, it teachs a limited reponse range reaction pattern.

ianpaice said:
horrible concepts!!! let's face it, pun intended, face all washed out, eyes squinting, damn nice picture!!!

ianpaice said:
even it is under direct sunlight, you still have many ways to photograph your subject, with or without flash.

hey ppl!

many thanks for your valuable insights.. have began experimenting and i must say its quite a challenge getting the flash to be of the correct strength and bouncing it off the proper way...getting the fill flash to work etc..... looks like i will be need more practice! :)

cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.