Outdoor Flash Problem

LFC25

Mar 20, 2011
Hi guys,

Need your help on this:

I was taking a portrait shot under a bright sky in A-priority mode. The meter reading was f/3.5, 1/1000 secs, ISO 100.

Image taken. The sky was ok but the model was under-exposed.

So I use a fill-in flash but the flash max sync speed can only go upto 1/200 secs. If I use this speed the sky will be over-exposed this time.

I switched to Manual mode and set the camera speed to 1/200 secs. It gives me a aperture of f/11 (large DOF) which I do not want.

Can anyone enlighten me how can I maintain f/3.5 within the flash max sync speed in this kind of situation?

Thanks in advance.

Hi guys,

Need your help on this:

I was taking a portrait shot under a bright sky in A-priority mode. The meter reading was f/3.5, 1/1000 secs, ISO 100.

Image taken. The sky was ok but the model was under-exposed.

So I use a fill-in flash but the flash max sync speed can only go upto 1/200 secs. If I use this speed the sky will be over-exposed this time.

I switched to Manual mode and set the camera speed to 1/200 secs. It gives me a aperture of f/11 (large DOF) which I do not want.

Can anyone enlighten me how can I maintain f/3.5 within the flash max sync speed in this kind of situation?

Thanks in advance.
you can't go beyond max sync speed unless your camera and flash support high speed sync.

another way to work around is use ND filter over your lens, it will bring down shutter speed to max sync speed, but it will also decrease the flash light reaching the sensor, you may need more powerful flash.

hope this help.

Thanks for your reply, catchlights :)

You can also do 2 exposures, one for the sky one for the subject, then use photoshop, stacking the subject exposure over the other, and use layer mask to hide the entire later, then reveal only the subject. May not look as nice as a ND filter shot with flash but at least it won't cost you a cent. (assuming you have the necessary software)

yes, that's a good idea. Will give it a try.

Thanks, Cowseye :)