Outdoor Car Photography

Status
Not open for further replies.

rEv09

Feb 4, 2006
Hellow everyone!

I'm interested to learn more about outdoor car photography. Situation is that my dad will be changing car next month and i hope to help him take a series of good photo of his current car before it leaves us.

Areas which i wish to learn and know:
- Where is the best place to park and take pictures? Nice background etc.
- What is the best time of the day?
- Areas in which I need to take note of ie. angle of car.
- Any more things?

Current gear I possess is D80 + Sigma 18-125 + 50mm f1.8 + SB800.

Hope to hear from those who have experience!

do you watch Top Gear? They have some of the nicest camera angles. You can also check out online.

My opinion is City centre near lunchtime if car is a people carrier, Roadside at twilight if the car is a racer and any place that allows parking on grass in the morning if its an off-road.

Just take note of light source and reflections on the car surface.

i thought there was something about this a while back?

are you the same guy?

I don't think i'm the same guy. Anyway the car is the volkswagen Touareg.

I don't think i'm the same guy. Anyway the car is the volkswagen Touareg.
can you get pictures like below?

20060922-2007-vw-volkswagen-tuareg-front.jpg
0302_14zoom+Volkswagen_Touareg+Interior_View_Steering_Wheel.jpg

0610_z+2007_volkswagen_touareg+FSI_v8_engine.jpg
volkswagen_touareg2_v10tdi_2008_other_trunk_640x480.jpg

Cars can be very difficult to shoot IMHO. Especially if you want commercial grade, they use a lot of equipment & lighting controls but I manage to do some of them under nice natural light & once in a while with a flash unit.

I would do a 4x4 in it's natural surroundings where it's designed for. I would head to a beach, forest or hilly area but of course an urban setting would be perfectly fine too.

Think Lim Chu Kang, Changi coastal area, Upp Thomson etc.

get mount
Take few shots as the car move
and photoshop the mount away...
hahaa

That always has been my dream..but trying to DIY a mount myself...

Hmmm... i'm more keen to know where the suitable and nicest places are for such shots and the timings for them. Hope that's not too much a trouble for you guys. =]

Hmmm... i'm more keen to know where the suitable and nicest places are for such shots and the timings for them. Hope that's not too much a trouble for you guys. =]
engine view and cabin view can do anytime.

20060922-2007-vw-volkswagen-tuareg-front.jpg

perhaps late morning before noon where the sun is not so bright. Location could be wooded area, sandy area or even city centre. Its just how much effort you want to put.

Status
Not open for further replies.