Our Weatherman Competency

Old Boy

Dec 16, 2007
IMH
Any area having thunderstorm between 6.00 am to 8.00 am ? Woke up thinking of going for a ride and check out the weather. Our S'pore weatherman said thunderstorm all over Singapore ! Didn't see any of it this morning. Is it plain laziness to update or that incompetent to provide accurate forecast ? :angry:

Could be thunderstorm is a day too late......watch out tomorrow morning :D

Issue is I don't cycle in neighbourhood. But seeing there's no thunderstorm, I feel frustrated with the weatherman's prediction ! Must make friends, preferably cyclists in the east side but can't call them early in the morning to check out.:bsmilie:

Any area having thunderstorm between 6.00 am to 8.00 am ? Woke up thinking of going for a ride and check out the weather. Our S'pore weatherman said thunderstorm all over Singapore ! Didn't see any of it this morning. Is it plain laziness to update or that incompetent to provide accurate forecast ? :angry:

They have post an article in Straits Times reversing their earlier prediction :D

Like you said, forecast.
How accurate can it be.

If i can forecast accurately, i'll pick the correct numbers and be a millionaire...

Last edited:
Like you said, forecast.
How accurate can it be.

If i can forecast, i'll pick the correct numbers and be a millionaire...

I normally know about the next day's weather by my dreams. I can say it's pretty accurate for me.

Drowning in water = rain
Burnt in fire = hot day
Flying in the air = windy day
Walking around with a sheet of newspaper over head = grey and overcast day.

:bsmilie:

I normally know about the next day's weather by my dreams. I can say it's pretty accurate for me.

Drowning in water = rain
Burnt in fire = hot day
Flying in the air = windy day
Walking around with a sheet of newspaper over head = grey and overcast day.

:bsmilie:
What if you have a wet dream?

Our S'pore weatherman said thunderstorm all over Singapore ! Didn't see any of it this morning. Is it plain laziness to update or that incompetent to provide accurate forecast ? :angry:

singapore one not accurate then US Army or CIA or FBI one will be most accurate?

Like you said, forecast.
How accurate can it be.

If i can forecast, i'll pick the correct numbers and be a millionaire...

exactly..................

Last edited:

I've been up since 6:30. Very windy with strong gusts, cold, with drizzles. No thunderstorm, but not exactly cycling weather. Looked like a rain band from the reservoir area to town.

Weather forcasting and meteorology as a whole isn't the simplest form of science around, as the weather is rarely 100% constant, and in tropical regions such as where Singapore is located, the weather is even more unstable. Add to that the recent changes in climate, you get a very complicated system.

Mayhaps you should at least think about the things they have to look through to give you any form of forcast, before thinking that they're just incompetent.

Walao...why flame the weather man? They're just trying to do their job. Predicting heavy thunder storms and making people prepare sandbag is better than people waking up with their carparks flooded or half their living rooms under water. After the recent floods, i'm not surprised that they're becoming a bit more 'cautious'(not sure if its the right word') in their forecasts.

Well 8 out of 10 search were inaccurate and trying to figure out if the areas affected within that day is accurate, just curios as well. On a second thought, might be a good career to be in :bsmilie:probably harder to predict in Singapore, such a small island. Just a gust of wind will sway the rain off course:bsmilie: I have my own premonition as well, if fart too much, it's going to be a very windy day and aerodynamics wheel are out l ;p

s-PAUL-THE-OCTOPUS-large.jpg

this little fellow is more accurate

IMHO, I just have to put my 2 cents on this... just bear with me...

I felt that we have to look at this on another perspective. We have enjoyed passive weather updates and blessed with nice tropical weather for as long as I can remember even up till National Service in SAF whilst checking for CAT status (updates were like every 2hrs or so?). For example look at the current website of our official weather portal: http://www.weather.gov.sg/wip/web/home/further_outlook and compare to my usual favourite weather website: http://www.wunderground.com/global/stations/48698.html and http://www.weathercity.com/sg/singapore/ which I get my weather fixes of local and some other countries in case I have to go there for assignments. Hey, some of these external sites even have weather satellites pics of up to 24hrs. Take for example the recent volcanic eruption in Iceland and this website giving instant hour-by-hour RSS feeds, charts, aviation advisories (http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/aviation/vaac/features.html) so that we can plan our travel itinerary better.

Probably the only updated info is the haze situation. I guess the passiveness of our weather agencies and it's current mode of "engaging" and disseminating information is just not what we expect it to be. Indeed we are a small island nation surrounded by land masses which have provided natural shelter to adverse severe weather changes up till now. However, everyone knows how climate change can affect even the smallest species.

Hence, I do empathize with fellow forum contributors here on the tempo of information as being "passive". I suppose it will be some time that our "weatherman" gets upgraded via SDF to "climatologists" and embrace public feedback and be able to engage the public confidently on providing useful climate info?

Anyway, anyone has any idea how come it does not rain during the festivities on almost on every SG National Day as far as I can remember -- although there were always some showers before the show starts or super light rain during; but not raining cats and dogs kinda thing - other than the black-and-white TV show of that heavy downpour of National Day celebrations way back then in 1960s. Maybe the weatherman is doing something right about this after all ;-) ? kudos to them on that if so. I'll overlook the lousy local weather station website for this.

IMHO, I just have to put my 2 cents on this... just bear with me...

I felt that we have to look at this on another perspective. We have enjoyed passive weather updates and blessed with nice tropical weather for as long as I can remember even up till National Service in SAF whilst checking for CAT status (updates were like every 2hrs or so?). For example look at the current website of our official weather portal: http://www.weather.gov.sg/wip/web/home/further_outlook and compare to my usual favourite weather website: http://www.wunderground.com/global/stations/48698.html and http://www.weathercity.com/sg/singapore/ which I get my weather fixes of local and some other countries in case I have to go there for assignments. Hey, some of these external sites even have weather satellites pics of up to 24hrs. Take for example the recent volcanic eruption in Iceland and this website giving instant hour-by-hour RSS feeds, charts, aviation advisories (http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/aviation/vaac/features.html) so that we can plan our travel itinerary better.

Probably the only updated info is the haze situation. I guess the passiveness of our weather agencies and it's current mode of "engaging" and disseminating information is just not what we expect it to be. Indeed we are a small island nation surrounded by land masses which have provided natural shelter to adverse severe weather changes up till now. However, everyone knows how climate change can affect even the smallest species.

Hence, I do empathize with fellow forum contributors here on the tempo of information as being "passive". I suppose it will be some time that our "weatherman" gets upgraded via SDF to "climatologists" and embrace public feedback and be able to engage the public confidently on providing useful climate info?

Anyway, anyone has any idea how come it does not rain during the festivities on almost on every SG National Day as far as I can remember -- although there were always some showers before the show starts or super light rain during; but not raining cats and dogs kinda thing - other than the black-and-white TV show of that heavy downpour of National Day celebrations way back then in 1960s. Maybe the weatherman is doing something right about this after all ;-) ? kudos to them on that if so. I'll overlook the lousy local weather station website for this.

I don't need the weatherman to tell me it is going to rain or not. I get my own hygrometer, wet and dry thermometer and I can predict with 95% accuracy the weather for the day. Other than that when I'm going overseas, I rely on the same websites that you mention.

Singapore weatherman seems to be reactive in their prediction. Singapore is so small and they can't even predict a more accurate forecast. :what:

[vid]XTMGx7kC6Lk[/vid]

start at 3:05

I've never doubted the accuracy of our weathermen/women... it's always a 50% chance of rain and 50% chance of sunshine - never fails!