"Our" table tennis team winning gold

UncleFai

Mar 10, 2010
Singapore
Poll: do you prefer locals that have little chance or "foreign talents" that will get us gold?

Last edited:
I prefer an honest effort even if we win no medals .... The actual win in future will be sweeter

If local soccer, no import, in final 16 of wc, I will be proud of their achievement. But on table tennis, can forget it. Not worth a cent from me. Ha ha!

How come STTA and MCCY just don't get it? Too focused on short term KPIs?

Preferred local to compete in International level.
Win or lose doesn't matter.

I still remembered our local swimmers like Patricia Chan, Ang Peng Siong, Joecelin Yeo....etc

They are the true Singaporean that us proud & pride.

Each time, those imported players or athletes won any medals i have no feeling or excitement.

Just curios, why Man U can have players all over the world with England being kicks off in the 1st round, yet still many supported it. Why we can't have foreign players representing us for table tennis leh?

Just curios, why Man U can have players all over the world with England being kicks off in the 1st round, yet still many supported it. Why we can't have foreign players representing us for table tennis leh?

One is a club, one is a country. Singapore used mostly China players to win for us and hardly other countries doing that. Recent WC, Germany got foreign player in their team? :p

If i'm not wrong, lots of other countries use China prayers in the sport of table tennis.

And i find the level of xenophobia in this forum disturbing. They are now our fellow citizens OK! :angry:

One is a club, one is a country. Singapore used mostly China players to win for us and hardly other countries doing that. Recent WC, Germany got foreign player in their team? :p

Actually many of the German players were once foreign nationals. But the matter is that they were very young when they immigrated (less than ten years old), and they developed their talent in the national talent system.

Singapore being the instant-noodle, instant-tree country, we have to buy ready-made from overseas. A real prodigy of table tennis, etc , any sport, from the Mainland, would not be easily released, either. This is why our table tennis team persistently loses to the real mainland Chinese champion teams. We don't even have a China B team, we got the China C team.

One word: Sportsmanship... Something we don't have or lost it to the spirit of kiasu-ness.

Actually many of the German players were once foreign nationals. But the matter is that they were very young when they immigrated (less than ten years old), and they developed their talent in the national talent system.
Exactly :) The talent system was there but got additional funding and improvements after the Euro 2004 disaster (Germany got kicked out in group phase without winning any of the three games). That's the key: government commitment and funding. One cannot find talents if it's an economical decision to do sports in a club.

One word: Sportsmanship... Something we don't have or lost it to the spirit of kiasu-ness.
No.. it's the mindset of "One must make money with everything one does."

Would have been way cheaper to custom make the solid 24k gold medals....no need to train and much more medals for the same money