"Our" table tennis team winning gold

http://www.theage.com.au/commonweal...-with-chineseborn-players-20140802-zzpb1.html

Some aussie is criticizing sg for buying off-the-shelf players.:bsmilie:
Most singaporeans agree with him. :bsmilie:

As proud Singaporeans we must see Singapore winning golds and not PRC players winning for us.

This is the mindset we have to get over before we can stand tall in front of the world as sporting heroes. :)

why is winning gold in sports so important?
might as well spend the same money on poor old folks who can only afford one meal a day and need to collect rubbish to recycle for pocket money?
That's the problem. A truckload of social problems in the backyard and yet shooting for gold.

might as well spend the same money on poor old folks who can only afford one meal a day and need to collect rubbish to recycle for pocket money?
That's the problem. A truckload of social problems in the backyard and yet shooting for gold.

+1 indeed

In future, hopes those sport organizers put a stop to this kind of act. Maybe limits the number (%) that each country allows. Just like bpl, limit n let their local more chance to play.

I used to think lowly of the Singapore government for importing all the foreign sports players. But now I've become immune to their act. Actually, to put myself in the government's shoes, there seems to be no better way. Even other countries do it. But we are too small. And this whole place is a business hub. You can't change our culture here even in decades.

The prospect of being a sports star here is dismal. How many sports people here made it big in the past? I mean, really big, and earn millions in advertisement endorsement or salary? As far as I can recall, none. Would you rather let your son who is interested and good in soccer to be trained as a soccer player or study hard and be a lawyer?

If possible, I would call Singapore a multi-national company more than a state or country for the commoner. So importing of talents is the fastest way to ensure its success. Just like how they have been importing so many foreigners for jobs here.

But the end result is, I don't feel proud or think we are strong in sports. I don't follow cos looking at the China Chinese faces playing ping-pong wearing the red Singapore shirts make me feel uneasy. I don't know them, and I don't know if they know much about Singapore themselves. Most importantly, I think there is a good chance they will leave this country once their jobs here are done, or conversely, once Singapore feels they are not performing well enough to stay on.

So at best, sports here is political, not based on passion.

Doesn't matter who gets the gold, as long as it is Singapore. Frankly speaking, I if Singaporean (born and bred in Singapore) can get gold, good. But I just couldn't see it thus far. Might have a few exception along the way, but as you see, many parents actually don't feel it that way, so we are geared more to other areas and not really towards sports.

Even other countries do it.

Agree. Imagine the entire Spanish team made up of Brazilians. :dunno:

diego-costa.jpg

I think we need to cross breed Singaporeans for the volleyball team. No height advantage if we depend on locals. Get our local boys to court more Russian girls......

Nonsense.

The Japanese are also known to be short people, but they have a 100% Japanese women volleyball for Olympics

It's a matter of talent spot and grooming, and giving adequate incentives and support

You can't really say that.

Every country has its own backyards of social problems. If we go by your logic, no country will qualify for any sports events.

You can't really say that.

Every country has its own backyards of social problems. If we go by your logic, no country will qualify for any sports events.
Exactly. Why is it important to qualify over feeding your own people in your own backyard first? Do u know a lot of old folks don't even have money to see doctor over a simple flu? I have seen some before. They worked so hard for our country but they are now being left fighting to survive.

Olympics and all international sporting events should be abolished and the money should be channelled into the welfare of poor old folks.

We should close all cinemas, night clubs and massage palours etc. too so to make sure poor old folks have a comfortable life.

This is about compassion, logic, the values of Confucianism and respect for elders.

We should close all cinemas, night clubs and massage palours etc. too so to make sure poor old folks have a comfortable life.

But some of these provide jobs for old folks leh.

taxpayers' money should be channelled to help the old sickly first.
cinemas, massage parlours and night clubs do not use taxpayers' money.

Importing foreign sportsmen/women to win for us uses taxpayers' money, and is quite pointless. Not forgetting the bonuses each of them get for winning.

I used to think lowly of the Singapore government for importing all the foreign sports players. But now I've become immune to their act. Actually, to put myself in the government's shoes, there seems to be no better way. Even other countries do it. But we are too small. And this whole place is a business hub. You can't change our culture here even in decades.

The prospect of being a sports star here is dismal. How many sports people here made it big in the past? I mean, really big, and earn millions in advertisement endorsement or salary? As far as I can recall, none. Would you rather let your son who is interested and good in soccer to be trained as a soccer player or study hard and be a lawyer?

If possible, I would call Singapore a multi-national company more than a state or country for the commoner. So importing of talents is the fastest way to ensure its success. Just like how they have been importing so many foreigners for jobs here.

But the end result is, I don't feel proud or think we are strong in sports. I don't follow cos looking at the China Chinese faces playing ping-pong wearing the red Singapore shirts make me feel uneasy. I don't know them, and I don't know if they know much about Singapore themselves. Most importantly, I think there is a good chance they will leave this country once their jobs here are done, or conversely, once Singapore feels they are not performing well enough to stay on.

So at best, sports here is political, not based on passion.

Kiwi2,

New Zealand and Uruguay all have something in common with Singapore. The population are relatively small.
Yet they have certain degree in sport success without import the FT like Singapore.

As Donut88 has mentioned. I quote. "It's a matter of talent spot and grooming, and giving adequate incentives and support"

Look at the Chinapore table tennis team players. Once the Ah Tiong players win the gold medals and see where they will disappear to.

No need to guess who will have the loudest cheer when the Singapore Commonwealth Team is back.

EisMann

Last edited:

Why don't you volunteer to play pingpong for Singapore in Commonwealth Games so that we don't have to import PRC FTs?

You'll save the government heaps. :bsmilie:

Why don't you volunteer to play pingpong for Singapore in Commonwealth Games so that we don't have to import PRC FTs?

You'll save the government heaps. :bsmilie:

...well...... only if you agree to be his coach. :p

To boast his self-confidence first he must play with someone he can beat: :bsmilie:

Coach, can we skip Part 1 and go to Part 2?

Maggie+Q-martial+arts+women.jpg