Our News reports are one dimensional, so are our thoughts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silence Sky

Deregistered
Sep 5, 2006
Allow me to put up three cases for discussion.

Bus commuters to get real time travel info.
So what are values here? Is it going to cut down the waiting time or traveling time for the commuters? Is the information useful at all when it tells you the next arrival time is 30mins. Still LL have to wait. Will you be happier with this information when you know it is not going to be free information after all?

NTUC will donate 30cents for every paper heart collected. Target $300,000.
Getting people to fold paper heart is itself wasting resources. Who is paying for the paper, collecting and counting the 300,000 hearts? At the end, what can the 300,000 paper heart do for charity? I think it is more meaningful to support local products, say NTUC will donate 30cents for each local product bought by you. I think the $300,000 is just the marketing budget for their super mart in Ang Mo Kio.

NS cycle over? Some opt to bear arms longer.
About 360 have gone beyond call of duty by serving past 20- year training cycle.
I am wondering how many 84 and MG gunners opt to bear arms longer.
Out of these 360 soldiers, how many of them are key personnel and what their annual NS allowances are. I hear it is 5k for a NS Major and more for Lt Col. Attend in Camp, march your battalion up and down for two weeks and you get 5k on top of your civilian pay plus NS tax relief. If I am a Major and above, I will definitely opt to bear the arm chair longer.

what? u mean NS colonel all get extra $$ over their private sector pay? knn. :bigeyes: ;(

what? u mean NS colonel all get extra $$ over their private sector pay? knn. :bigeyes: ;(

Confirmed got extra $$, just dont know got 10k or not..

i heard high ranking NS-officers got no incentive to pass IPPT.. cos RT will be paid and it will get them more than what IPPT Gold can offer. :bsmilie: so why pass?

hmm... where to complain ah. i do same job as officers in my unit.. i oso want allowance!

i heard high ranking NS-officers got no incentive to pass IPPT.. cos RT will be paid and it will get them more than what IPPT Gold can offer. :bsmilie: so why pass?

Forget it, they can't pass anyway. Look at those Generals, most of them from obese company.

Getting people to fold paper heart is itself wasting resources. Who is paying for the paper, collecting and counting the 300,000 hearts? At the end, what can the 300,000 paper heart do for charity? I think it is more meaningful to support local products, say NTUC will donate 30cents for each local product bought by you. I think the $300,000 is just the marketing budget for their super mart in Ang Mo Kio.

Not a news report.

Wa, want to nitpick like that, I go and get the whole world's newspapers to show you all the individual "one-dimensional" news reports la. :bsmilie:

Seriously though, since when is news not one-dimensional?

Allow me to put up three cases for discussion.

Bus commuters to get real time travel info.
So what are values here? Is it going to cut down the waiting time or traveling time for the commuters? Is the information useful at all when it tells you the next arrival time is 30mins. Still LL have to wait. Will you be happier with this information when you know it is not going to be free information after all?

I would rather they spend the $ to buy more buses & hire more bus drivers. Firstly it can help to create jobs. Secondly, it'll definitely please the commuters as their waiting time will be shorten with teh increase in the bus frequency. Like you've said, what's the point of letting me know how long I have to wait when what I want is the bus to come quickly. Needs and wants are not satisfied and money ahs been wasted. :angry:

Why bother to do such thing. If NTUC wants to donate just go ahead and donate. It's not as if they cannot afford that little bit of $. What's $300K to them. Why waste resources (paper and people's effort) to fold some stupid paper hearts. At the end of the day, besides counting them, what are they going to do with these paper hearts? Where and how are they going to store them? :nono: Wonder which smart alec came out with this idea.

NS cycle over? Some opt to bear arms longer.
About 360 have gone beyond call of duty by serving past 20- year training cycle.
I am wondering how many 84 and MG gunners opt to bear arms longer.
Out of these 360 soldiers, how many of them are key personnel and what their annual NS allowances are. I hear it is 5k for a NS Major and more for Lt Col. Attend in Camp, march your battalion up and down for two weeks and you get 5k on top of your civilian pay plus NS tax relief. If I am a Major and above, I will definitely opt to bear the arm chair longer.

OMG, $5K above their civilian pay? :bigeyes: I also want leh. Don't mind going back and sit in the air con office and shout here, shout there and get that kind of money without squeezing a drop of sweat. I will want to go back even when i am on my deathbed.

Sigh, people just do not exercise their brains enough these days.

Confirmed got extra $$, just dont know got 10k or not..

You sure it's true or not.

Got sources? I want to see them before I say anything on this. As should any other person. If not I can say Godzilla is giving all of them sweets also. :bsmilie:

You sure it's true or not.

Got sources? I want to see them before I say anything on this. As should any other person. If not I can say Godzilla is giving all of them sweets also. :bsmilie:

I am very sure some of us here are appointment holders and can testify the statements.

Not a news report.

Wa, want to nitpick like that, I go and get the whole world's newspapers to show you all the individual "one-dimensional" news reports la. :bsmilie:

Seriously though, since when is news not one-dimensional?
when you picking other ppl's news. ;p

I am very sure some of us here are appointment holders and can testify the statements.

Proper sources, what appointment holder or what, on the Internet you can be a supermodel, Superman or a beggar I also don't know whether it's true or not.

As far as I'm concerned, you haven't provided any concrete proof. Until you can, then I have the right to dispute this!

i think those from Air Force and Navy are ok. The Army ones... err... ;)
Haha, not sure about the NS ones, but I know for sure that our last COA's 2.4km timing is damn scary.

This one, I no need to vouch, all those who got go for AHM training at Gombak will know.

Haha, not sure about the NS ones, but I know for sure that our last COA's 2.4km timing is damn scary.

This one, I no need to vouch, all those who got go for AHM training at Gombak will know.

Are you refering to General Ng? If you happens to meet him, check with him about the extra pay for appoinment holders, ok?:bsmilie:

Singapore parents are also one kind.

I have heard a few children here complaining about their parent’s guests.
The guests came over for dinner at their parent invitation. They bought nothing expect their chopsticks and hungry stomachs. After dinner, the guests filled their stomach and decided it is time to leave and the children start to show their displeasures.
Why need to feed them at a subsidized rate? They do not need to do the house works and have no duty to defend the home against intruders. The guests will leave us and will never come back once there’s little food on the table. After all I am still your children and will have to look after you when you are old and useless.

The Down Under parents are smarter.
I don’t have to cook them abalone porridge to make people come to my house.
As long there is food on the table, they will come even if I charge them a bit little more for the food. I will squeeze them for sake of my own children.

I am quite ok with the bus thing. It is meant to inform you about the waiting time. Which makes it easier for you to take a decision on hailing alternate mode of travel incase you don't want to wait. Or do some multi tasking while waiting for bus.

Now you would say that the monitors in MRT stations telling you when the train is coming are also waste of money and that the gahmen should just release more trains ;p

I am quite ok with the bus thing. It is meant to inform you about the waiting time. Which makes it easier for you to take a decision on hailing alternate mode of travel incase you don't want to wait. Or do some multi tasking while waiting for bus.

Now you would say that the monitors in MRT stations telling you when the train is coming are also waste of money and that the gahmen should just release more trains ;p

:nono: Waiting time for bus and trains are very different. Trains do arrive at constant intervals (every few minutes a train would be arriving at the station), whereas for buses, you do not know when the bus will come. I've experienced waiting for a bus for 40 minutes and the bus is still not at the bus stop. Can you imagine the crowd when the bus arrives? :eek: With an increase in the fleet, there could be 1 or 2 buses in between the 40 minutes to help serve the commuters first. This will definitely sooth the commuters waiting for that particular bus. (The bus that i'm taking is always very, very crowded. There were so many occasions where the passengers had to stand on the steps of the front door and many couldn't even get on the bus. It's worst when it's during weekends, PH or special events as this bus plys thru Orchard Road & Chinatown.) I've written in to the bus service provider before and after my second reply via email, they totally disregard my email and refuse to reply me. :thumbsd: :angry:

Status
Not open for further replies.