Otters at P.Ubin

Status
Not open for further replies.

mphil

Jan 23, 2002
Visit site
My second time encountering Otters at P.Ubin. Spent the first part of the morning chasing a family of 4 otters around the mangrove. At first lost sight of them and just when I settled down to have a break they sprang across the mud from one bank, swam across the river and came towards me! In fact they came right up to where I was sitting and sniffed at me before disappearing into the mangrove again.

Just some record shots to show ...
DSCF8174alr.jpg

Camera was set to manual, lost many shots due to oof :cry: :cry:
DSCF8181alr.jpg

A bit to far away.
DSCF8201alr.jpg

:thumbsup: very exciting find, thanks for sharing

There's always a sense of excitement seeing wild otters among the mangroves in Singapore.

It is good to know that they are doing well. Thanks for sharing. ;)

Your search for the otters remind me of NG photog. :thumbsup:

Persistence paid off

Very precious capture :thumbsup: :thumbsup: . Our Singapore "otterman" will be very happy to see these pics.

Hey good catch there. At least there is some wild otters living in Ubin.

it must be your lucky day :thumbsup:

:thumbsup: Wow~! Otters in Ubin! Nice catch~! :thumbsup:

Wow-weeee!!! 2nd one's awfully cute!

Thanks for the feedback y'all. Wish you all luck finding them on P.Ubin too. I think there are more than just those 4 on the island as I had first sighted some others in a separate part of the island several months ago.

One tip I can give you is to make as little noise as possible and not make any sudden movements that might scare them away. Most of the time, I have heard people coming my way long before I see them. If I can do that, the animals (and birds) can certainly do much better than me and will be long gone before they can be seen.

Rather than open a new thread, I'll just post some of this week's shots here. Managed to reach my hideout earlier than last week, and just as I settled down, out came the four otters. They were out for a swim in the mudpools at low tide.

1. Family of four
DSCF8298alr.jpg

2. Up close and personal
DSCF8307alr.jpg

3. Family portrait
DSCF8309alr.jpg

I like the "family portrait" shot.

It reminds me of the wild otters at Sungei Buloh Wetland Reserve and the bone crunching sound when they feed on fishes........yummy!

skfoo said:
I like the "family portrait" shot.

Hey, good choice, that is also going to be my candidate for an 8R enlargement unless I get lucky again in the next few weeks to get an even better shot of them. I have been lucky for 2 weeks now, but not lucky enough to strike 4D/Big Sweep/Toto yet. ;) :(

They have very sensitive ears and could actually hear the shutter clicking. That's why they were looking in my direction. Soon after they jumped out of the pool and disappeared into the mangrove.

Nicely done mphil, very well captured and the expressions they gave you is IMO priceless. It is a relief to see that they are still managing in our ever shrinking nature landscape. :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.