Other than buying the camera and lens, what other stuff need to buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sjackal

Jul 9, 2008
Dry box?

Lens cleaning kit?

UV filter?

Is it a good idea to request to exchange the free bag during buying to some UV filters or lens cleaning kit?

Then buy a good bag that really suits the needs?

bag, filters, dri cabi.... the list goes on... soon, you will feel that you need more of these, better that... the BBB virus shall spread.
get the cam with the kit first, dry cabi and maybe a uv filter. just get a microfibre cloth to clean smudges on lens and lcd.

bag, filters, dri cabi.... the list goes on... soon, you will feel that you need more of these, better that... the BBB virus shall spread

Hmm, but no reason spending Ks on camera and lens but never buy dry cab right?

BTW how big a dry cabinet need to be?

A D80 with kit lens, plus SB600, plus 2 to 3 wide angle prime lens. 30litre enough?

30 litre enough for now... maybe if you feel that you will get more stuff later, get 50 litre first so later got more space and dont need to change. for me, 30 litres is enough... 30 litres should be good for you

Thank you, you think need to get more lens cover? or get more UV filter?

i get 1 filter for every lens. I dont get extra lens cap as i am quite careful with them. make sure you dont loose yours and it should be ok

Bags never end :D
Get a bag for each configuration/combination of gear you can take out. :D

Ok.. you need

1) Camera + batt grip
2) Prime lens for portraits/bokeh/low light condition e.g 35mm, 50mm, 85mm 135mm, 100mm macro
3) Zoom lens for walkaround 10-200mm perferred 10-22, 17-55, 24-105, 70-200
4) UV filter for each of the lens
5) Lens hood for lens without hoods bundled
6) Dri cabinet 30 - 50L
7) 2 camera bags - one for walk around and one to store everything you got
8) Flash
9) At least 8 x Rechargeable batteries + charger
10) Extra batteries for the camera
11) 2 x 4GB CF cards
12) Tripod
13) Cpl filters, GND filters + filter holders
14) Off shoe remote trigger
15) Flash difusser
16) Graffer tapes
17) Blower
18) Lens pen
19) Micro fibre cloth
20) A fast PC with lots of RAM + card reader
21) Ext. HDD to store all your RAW files
22) A flickr account
23) Photoshop + Lightroom
24) Monitor calibrator

Exhaustive list by m3lv1nh0. i only got one to add -

25) Buy some time to shoot

Might be the hardest to buy

Ryan

You all out of control, I only need essential things lah. :)

Yeah, tomorrow going shopping again.

U might wanna consider a tripod or a comf bag to lug all ya stuffs!

You all out of control, I only need essential things lah. :)

No lah... they not out of control... what is essential to you because of how you shoot and what you need may be lacking to another person. ;)

Some would say 50mm lens as essential, but some photographers don't even own a 50mm lens... so what is essential is based on what you want to shoot... and buy things along the way when you do find it "essential".

I never thought a dry cabinet was essential as I was frying silica gel for sometime now... but because of inconvenience... the need for a dry cabinet moved to my "essential" category... :bsmilie:

So don't worry about what is essential... just buy along the way when you need it... and soon you may find that what you have and is essential is like the list above... BBB :devil:

Thanx guys, I really appreciate your help! I bought a dry cab liao. Tripod, cleaning kit and bag is bundled (Nikon bag dont feel great but usable first lah).

I now lack UV filters.

where did u bought ur dry cabinet from? i just bought my D40 and looking for 1 to store the camers...

Got it at Lords when I bought my camera, TK quote me $105.

if u r lazy to carry it home, get it from carrefour. They offer free delivery.

Status
Not open for further replies.