Equipment Type: Other

Brand: Other

Short Description: Sellers - beware of this scam

Price (S$): 0

Condition of Item(s): 8

Detailed Description:
Dear All (especially anyone selling stuff on this forum),

Please be aware of the following scam!

I was recently contacted by email about an item I had listed for sale (1st clue this was a scam - the listing was from a long time ago). When I replied the item was sold, they asked if I had any other items for sale. I sent links to the items I was currently selling and they said they wanted to buy an item (2nd clue - wanted to buy without seeing photos, didn't have any questions and didn't want to negotiate on price).

All sounded suspicious but played along. They said they were in US at the moment and wanted me to ship it to someone in Malaysia (3rd clue!). Asked me to get shipping quote and agreed to buy without questioning price at all (4th clue!). Said they didn't have PayNow / PayLah but would send by bank transfer or PayPal (5th clue!).

Got an email today to say they have paid me by bank transfer, but nothing in my bank (how many more clues needed?!?). But in spam folder, an email from their 'bank' saying that they had sent me the money but I needed to provide them shipping confirmation before they released the funds to my account.

Couldn't be more obvious it's a scam! I will paste all the messages I was sent below for reference.
So sellers, maybe stating the obvious I know, but please don't send anything to anyone by post until you are completely sure that you have the money in your account for real.

Regards, James

@Mods - any chance of making this sticky please?

Name: James

Them: Hi,Is it still avail?

Me: Sorry, sold long time ago.

Them: Oh ok! In case you have other items for sale! Let me know,might be interested

Me: I have a Nikon SB-24 flash that I’m probably going to sell, if that’s of any interest?

Hi,

Ok...Will take the SB 24 flash! Im currently in the US but want to send it to someone in malaysia,Could you let me know how much i'll need to pay including shipping & bank to bank or Paypal should be ok for for me to pay!

Rgds!
Jason

Ok! You can check shipping prices on www.singpost.com as well...i don’t have the paynow app but should be able to do a direct bank transfer or paypal payment!

Name : Sabrina Nadel
Address : B-2-8,Verde Ara Damansara,Jalan PJU 1a/3,PJ
Zip Code : 47301
State : Selangor

City : Petaling Jaya

Do confirm & let me know the total price...

Thanks

--------------

Ok this is fine with me! You can send me your details to pay the 69.90sgd

Ok got it! Will email you once payment is done!

Jason

Hello ,

I've made the payment...Do check your email for the confirmation email from the bank (Citi bank)...Kindly do the shipment as soon as you can & send the shipment receipt to them for their verifications so they can process and credit your account just as the normal procedure & also you can check your junk mail folder in case the confirmation mail is there.

Rgds
Jason

Dear Valued Customer,

This acknowledgement sets forth certain terms upon which Mr Nadel is interested in acquiring some item(s) or services from you,And transferred the total amount of SG:$69.90 to your details stated below.

Account Holder's Name​
Bank Name​
Account Number
Description
Transfer Status
JamesCitiBank

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Auctions
In progress (Awaits Shipment Receipt/Tracking Number)​

Buyer's Shipping Address -

Name : Sabrina Nadel
Address : B-2-8,Verde Ara Damansara,Jalan PJU 1a/3,PJ
Zip Code : 47301
State : Selangor
City : Petaling Jaya

Your payment has been processed successfully,But before the amount is credited,We will need the 'Shipment Tracking Number/Receipt' of the item purchased before we can activate your bank account with the transferred amount,
We do hope you will understand us & our form of payment to secure both the buyer and seller's interest from any type of risk and fraudulent practices that is very rampant via online transactions.

To complete the transfer,We urge you to kindly proceed and ship the purchased item and send us the shipment receipt/tracking number.

*THE SCANNED RECIEPT*
This scanned receipt must be digitally taken and sent to the customer care department of the bank as a reply to this confirmation email.

*DATE OF TRANSFER*
The bank completes and transfer payments under 6 - 12 hours counting from the hour the shipment receipt/tracking number is submitted.

Thank you for using Colony Bank
Colony Bank Intl Team

Yes I've experienced this before. I think there's another guy by the name Alex Rivera who's planning to scam me as we speak. Thinking if sending him a parcel then put a middle finger cut out.

it is another type even more tricky, buyer will tell u they have sent extra money for some one to pick the item from your home...

Can admin pin this post?

Just send a photoshopped air waybill and fake tracking number....

This is what Alex Rivera wrote:

Actually I want to buy it for a very close associate of mine that was posted overseas to work for the Afro-Asia oil & gas conglomerate.

I want you to deliver it via a reputable courier firm.

Written under is the info and address for the delivery;

Recipient: Raymond Egie
Address: 39 Olatilewa Street, Lawanson
City: Surulere
State: Lagos
zip code: 23401
Contact phone number: +2348121710659

I want it delivered with 4 to 5 days express service, since you know the exact weight and size of the items, please call Speedpost service on 1800 222 5777 and also visit www.speedpost.com.sg for inquiries about the delivery cost and timing

You can also reach DHL express service by dialing 1800-285 8888 and visit their website www.dhl.com.sg

Do get back to me with the total cost for the item and the delivery charges

How do I get payment through to you?

I prefer paying via bank transfer because it is convenient, easy and very reliable.

Please get back to me with the total cost for the items and the delivery charge and also send me your bank account details as it is written under;

Account name:
Account number:
Bank name:
swift code:

I will be waiting to read from you.

Thanks,

Alex

exactly what Alex Rivera said to me. and this was my reply:

Hi Alex,

So let me get this straight, your friend Raymond Egie was posted to work for an O&G company and you're being such a good friend to send it to him, in Nigeria? Oh my goodness, you're really one of the bestest friend someone can ever have, wanting to buy a $700 lens for your friend in Nigeria. I should tell all my friends about you and tell them to step the hell up.

Anyway, the total cost will be $700 plus $5000 to send to Nigeria. I want to see the money first because in this world and age, we were taught of scammers who want to prey on the innocent and the desperate. So, to protect myself from these lowlives, I need to check whether you are legitimate. So please wire the money to this account detail.

Account Name: Alex "The Ameteur Scammer" Rivera
Account Number: G02H-3LLY-0U4U-CK3R
Bank Name: UpYours International Bank
Swift Code: erm... Taylor Swift?

Read this you grade A a-hole.

Thank you.

I just got an email from Alex Rivera too..asking to courier the camera to his friend for his birthday. Not even bothering to negotiate, highly suspicious..

Moderation Note: Moving this thread into the Consumer Corner.

I just got an email from Alex Rivera too..asking to courier the camera to his friend for his birthday. Not even bothering to negotiate, highly suspicious..
Me too, email message from him:

"Thanks for getting back to me. I am okay with the price, and 100% optimistic it is in perfect condition.

I want this item as a gift for a friend of mine. We both graduated as students from the same varsity, recently we met during an alumni meeting but for now he has traveled overseas for a very important appointment.

His birthday is around the corner and I want you to deliver it to him via a reliable courier service.

Please respond and let me know if this is possible and I will provide you with details for the delivery."

i hope all my friends will buy me such gift.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kipdrordy
Yep received exactly same but he's from America but friend in Malaysia. Same old trick: bank transferred, etc need your to send parcel ID to release the money.
I did research online, got the exact scammers bank and tactic. Ignored the scammer totally. Wasting time.