Other Alternatives beside Lightroom

wm910

Oct 20, 2010
Hi i am a hobbyist and currently do not have spare cash for photo editing software like lightroom. Can i find out if there are any free software(legal) for download and can work to edit raw files like lightroom for PC?

Thanks

Last edited:
If you are using Nikon, you can use its software: Capture NX-d to do simple editing.

Oh I am using Sony.

Hi i am a hobbyist and currently do not have spare cash for photo editing software like lightroom. Can i find out if there are any free software(legal) for download and can work to edit raw files like lightroom?

Thanks

Try this: https://www.gimp.org/

Ok will research. Thanks

Someone in the forum recommended DxO Optics Pro 11. Tried that, it's great.

A7. Thanks

Cool!!

You can check out this article: https://havecamerawilltravel.com/photographer/lightroom-alternatives/

Do note that Lightroom is a Cataloguing Program (digital asset management) + RAW Developer + some Image Processing. Check out the article for replacements for the various functions
I haven't tried any of the alternatives as Lightroom fits most of my needs, however may be checking out the free ones as backup

Thanks! Does Lightroom have a software version now or it’s purely via monthly subscription?

You can check out this article: https://havecamerawilltravel.com/photographer/lightroom-alternatives/

Do note that Lightroom is a Cataloguing Program (digital asset management) + RAW Developer + some Image Processing. Check out the article for replacements for the various functions
I haven't tried any of the alternatives as Lightroom fits most of my needs, however may be checking out the free ones as backup

Thanks! Does Lightroom have a software version now or it’s purely via monthly subscription?
Lightroom is moving towards a subscription based model so you may not want to build your workflow around it. I, for one, is looking for an alternative as I don't like subscription models.

You did not mention what camera you are using. Most cameras models comes packaged with some processing s/w.

If you do have some spare cash, maybe consider buying a low cost processing software. I do have Affinity Photo. It is pretty powerful and is a Photoshop (not Photoshop Element) competitor. It cost less than S$70. The only disadvantage is that it does not have a cataloguing function.

I am using rawtherapee (still learning) :p

another more user friendly is PhotoScape X....

Thanks! I mentioned in my earlier post I’m using Sony A7.

Lightroom is moving towards a subscription based model so you may not want to build your workflow around it. I, for one, is looking for an alternative as I don't like subscription models.

You did not mention what camera you are using. Most cameras models comes packaged with some processing s/w.

If you do have some spare cash, maybe consider buying a low cost processing software. I do have Affinity Photo. It is pretty powerful and is a Photoshop (not Photoshop Element) competitor. It cost less than S$70. The only disadvantage is that it does not have a cataloguing function.

I went to download Capture One for Sony and realised that they are also using be monthly and yearly subscription model.

Any other alternatives very similar to Adobe Lightroom without subscription model?

Photoshop Elements is a one-time purchase. I've been using it all this while.