OT: Singular for lens is still LENS, not LEN!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been studying at a British school for 7 years and I can definitely point out that my accent has completely changed from a singlish accent to a british/american accent. Everytime I go back to Singapore and stop by a McDonalds and order some food, I still speak in that english/american accent. Sometimes I find it hilarious when people continuously stare at me, as if 'Wha, this kid can speak ang moh way ah...' I also gain much respect with the McDonald's cashier. Even the old aunties call me sir! :bigeyes:

I think Singlish is the simple way to get ideas across within S'pore and its how most people speak it there. Sometimes I get extremely offended by the language there, not in the sense of the language used, but the way the person has said it. I don't know if you guys find it offensive, but sometimes when I go to a shop, the sales people just ask 'What you want?' I get rather taken aback. I sometimes call that rather rude behaviour. My dad keeps telling me its the S'porean way... that I had forgotten some 7-8 years back.

espn: len? What the heck is a len? :blah:

Astin :kok:

Atin Atin Atin Atin Atin Atin Atin Atin Atin

:bsmilie:

nickmak said:
I've been studying at a British school for 7 years and I can definitely point out that my accent has completely changed from a singlish accent to a british/american accent. Everytime I go back to Singapore and stop by a McDonalds and order some food, I still speak in that english/american accent. Sometimes I find it hilarious when people continuously stare at me, as if 'Wha, this kid can speak ang moh way ah...' I also gain much respect with the McDonald's cashier. Even the old aunties call me sir! :bigeyes:

:blah:

They dont stare at you thinking,'wah, this kid can speak ang moh way ah...'
They stare at you thinking,'bl**dy ching lost his roots and think so highly of himself...'

One can speak PROPER english, be it american or british, WITHOUT the slang.
Doesn't mean that with the slang, 'your england become more powderful'...

But since you reside outside of Singapore, I forgive you... :blah:

Hmm..."Lens" or "Lense" is actually a layman reference (not that there's anything wrong with it)
"Objective" would be a more traditional description (cf "eyepiece", "magnifier", etc).

For example, in a compound microscope, we would say it has a 100x objective and a 12x eyepiece. Both of them would of course comprise many lenses.

stingraytan said:
They dont stare at you thinking,'wah, this kid can speak ang moh way ah...'
They stare at you thinking,'bl**dy ching lost his roots and think so highly of himself...'

One can speak PROPER english, be it american or british, WITHOUT the slang.
Doesn't mean that with the slang, 'your england become more powderful'...

But since you reside outside of Singapore, I forgive you... :blah:

er... do you mean 'accent' instead of 'slang'? ;)

By the way, correct me if I'm wrong here, BrE and AmE differ in more ways than just choice of words. The grammar used differ slightly too:

AmE:
Do you have a pencil?

BrE:
Have you a pencil?

That may sound weird to many, but I guess it's partly due to influence from the mass media.

nickmak said:
I think Singlish is the simple way to get ideas across within S'pore and its how most people speak it there. Sometimes I get extremely offended by the language there, not in the sense of the language used, but the way the person has said it. I don't know if you guys find it offensive, but sometimes when I go to a shop, the sales people just ask 'What you want?' I get rather taken aback. I sometimes call that rather rude behaviour. My dad keeps telling me its the S'porean way... that I had forgotten some 7-8 years back.

espn: len? What the heck is a len? :blah:
This is I think due to the way people think when they speak english: they think in chinese or malay and then translate that directly into english, this is why you get something like you mentioned (which I also found initially quiet offending,also the tone they use to speak it out): what you want? (translated from mandarin: Wei she me?).........same happens with Dutch people when they think in dutch and then translate that into english, pretty comical when you hear it....but there is an explanation to everything

I haven't seen 'len' before, but lense pretty often, always thought it was a typo...my friend also says flim instead of film....don't know where this originates from (he is Indian)

HS

yaoxing said:
By the way, correct me if I'm wrong here, BrE and AmE differ in more ways than just choice of words. The grammar used differ slightly too:

AmE:
Do you have a pencil?

BrE:
Have you a pencil?

That may sound weird to many, but I guess it's partly due to influence from the mass media.

SgE:
Got pencil?

My version: "pencil????!?!?!?!?!?"

can't bear when ppl say "open" the switch.. :sweat:

espn said:
Len len len len len len len len len len.

And what can you do about it? :)

Buy buy buy lor.......... :bsmilie:

zeith said:
can't bear when ppl say "open" the switch.. :sweat:

"on"/"off" the switch is also cringeworthy!

sorry OT abit...

It's: need advice NOT need advise

Filum
Leemax printer
Hewlett and Packard
I brung this along
Will you learn me
Memory Stick (used for CF,SD,XD etc)
Arpeture
Plixels
How far can it bring in the picture
Black and White ink

I get at least one of these per day :angry:

Do you use Win XP compatible paper :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

frcfyp said:
ya, the marco is disturbing, been tempted to mention that too.

Scandisk brand cf card

camara

Cannon camera
Thankfully it's still misspelt as "Cannon" and not something like "Kannon" or wad.

Ppl will think dat clubsnap is a Japanese religious movement!

Status
Not open for further replies.