OT: Singular for lens is still LENS, not LEN!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally, I'm a bigger fan of 1Dses. It's a good thing Canon are using Mk numbers to name each new camera; I much prefer 1D Mk XVII than the 1DphStvNGGu :)

chisiang said:
When I was studing in England, I made a big joke out of myself oneday at the departmental store.

I was approached by the salesgirl if I needed help. I told her my pants were soiled and I needed a pair of new ones immediately. Her face turned red and he immediately bring me to the gents department... where the underwear section is :bsmilie:

Obviously, we ourselves are so hao lian that we believe our English is the best in Asia. Nevertheless, pants means underwear in English, and the proper word to use is TROUSERS!

I believe the salesgirl was not embarrassed because you said pants instead of trousers. As far as I know pants and trousers mean the same thing even in UK. Jed might be able to confirm that.

She was embarrassed becaue you said your pants were soiled..... if a baby pooped in his diaper then the diaper is considered soiled... that's probably why she brought you to the underwear department first! By the way did you notice if she was trying to keep a safe distance from you or was she covering her nose when she was helping you? :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Maybe you have made a bigger joke that you thought you had...what have you actually done to your pants/trousers? ;)

Sion said:
Yes. A hint of sarcasm spiced with respect with a tinge of humility coloured by admiration and a weak shock.

Hey, sorry if I sounded like I was giving a lecture, but honestly it just flowed. Having lived here for five years and integrated, I'm very aware of all these differences so it wasn't like I was trying to dig out as many as I could think of and make people look daft. I just hope it's of use.

Sometimes I overthink too. Like I've never ever pronounced vase the American way but several months ago (after having been here five years...) I out-thought myself and the American pronunciation came out...

I don't understand why people cannot speak in proper and standard english. For example, when someone uses the word 'Len', it just dosen't sound right, does it? In fact, it sounds very awkward. It dosen't even go well with the sentence - 'I just bought a new len!'

On the the other hand - 'I just bought a new lens' sounds much better.

junyang said:
The F5 is the best AF camera Nikon has ever made. But that's not saying much. Nikon AF is a joke.
please pardon my OT post, but your signature gives the impression that you are either living in a bubble, ignorant or a troll.

Something I'd like to clarify...

Is it "benefit of doubt"? Or "benefit of the doubt"?

I think the first one is correct one but more often I hear the latter.

Jango said:
Something I'd like to clarify...

Is it "benefit of doubt"? Or "benefit of the doubt"?

I think the first one is correct one but more often I hear the latter.

Second one, "to give someone the benefit of the doubt" is the correct one.

yes the 2nd one is correct. sometimes singlish confuses the mind as it cuts off a lot of verbs.

Drudkh said:
yes the 2nd one is correct. sometimes singlish confuses the mind as it cuts off a lot of verbs.
Haha, is it:
- sometime
- sometimes
- some time
- some times

Choose 1!

MashiMaro said:
please pardon my OT post, but your signature gives the impression that you are either living in a bubble, ignorant or a troll.

Please pardon my OT post, but your post gives me the impression that you are a Nikon troll. :) :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

By the way, i didn't conjure up what's in my signature. It was a quote from some website. ;) :blah:

Wai said:
hmm, but isn't a lens make up of many lenses inside?

Can you lend somebody one piece of lens from the lenses in the lens?

Must lens be made of Glass? I remember reading such thing as plastic lens :blah:

Jed said:
Most of all of this is really down to regional variations, primarily affected by American and British influences. Like it or not the root of Singapore English is in British vernacular, but the problem is that most of what comes over the box is American. And Singapore, as a result, ends up very confused...

By "Singapore English", would you be refering to english taught in Singapore or Singlish. IMO, there is a whale of a difference between the two.

Both. I refer to general English spoken in Singapore. I know that schools in theory instruct in British English, but you have to realise that when society speaks in a mix of both British and American English, and possibly others mixed in as well, it invariably affects what students pick up, both from teachers and from their education outside the classroom.

Len len len len len len len len len len.

And what can you do about it? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.