Ornamental cat

Status
Not open for further replies.

munkytrouble

Apr 24, 2007
Tampines
ornamentalcat2.jpg

i posted this in the world of nature section but posting again in the critique section here to get more precise C&C.

i found this lil kitten sitting quite comfortably under that large ornamental pot. he was simply too irresistible for me not to capture that moment. on the onset it seems that the large pot is the focus of the picture. but when the viewer looks, he is immediately drawn to the kitty under it hiding in the shadows. in the original photo, the pot was red. i wanted to simplify it and gave less focus and as such the sepia tone treatment.

i pp-ed the photo to give that sentimental broody look. the kitten had the most soulful eyes. you just had to wonder what was in his mind. the pp i believe gives a dream like state to the picture.

personally i like the juxtaposition of the pot, the wooden bench, the 2 chairs and of course the kitty in it. the pot, bench and chairs give a semblance of structure. what makes the pic interesting i believe is the breaking of that structure by the presence of the cat.

--

im looking out for c&c esp wrt to composition, framing, pp, write up and so on. my first post in here. pls give as much comments as possible. pls be sharp but fair.

thank you.

firdaus

1. can't really see the soulful part of the cat's eyes.
2. even with the pp, the cat doesn't seem to interest. the pot is just too eye-catching
3. love the sepia feel, but watch the light catching the pot on the other side, too dark

just an after tot, how abt u crop away the pot?
if ur focus is the cat of course.

i think the picture is alright..the warm feeling and the symetry..the golden look like from the sunset.. just my noob 2cents..;p we'll see what the pros say..

I like the mood and warm tones of the picture but as tribal snake mentioned I feel that you cant really see the eyes of the kitten as its in the shadows. The 2 main things in the pic competing for attention are the pot and cat as you say and the table its resting on provides a nice framing. However the lines of the benches still tend to lead the eyes out of the frame. The symmetry in this case dosent seem to work becuase of the cat below unbalancing it :)

Its a pretty good attempt though.

hey thanks all who'd replied. they are really good pointers that i could take note.

i thought that the cat would serve as an anomaly in the frame. but i guess the pot was a lil too distracting.

thanks!

the title does suits this picture. The picture is however, overly processed, too contrasted where the blacks have taken away the details especially where the cat is.

well the first thing i saw was the ornament then the cat hence ornamental cat sounds good to me haha!

I like the processing, very new year feel lol. There is a slight distortion, will be good if corrected and if the cat is dead centre below the ornament to balance the whole picture.

nevertheless this picture is quite unique

I like the processing, very new year feel lol. There is a slight distortion, will be good if corrected and if the cat is dead centre below the ornament to balance the whole picture.

nevertheless this picture is quite unique

thanks for the critique sprintist. great pointers u gave there.

for the comment about the cat being in the centre, the kitty wouldn't appreciate much if i'd moved him about. heheheh!

thanks man!

hellos!

i totally like this picture you have taken ... =))

it give me the warm feeling when i look at it...

but too mi i guess the ornamental pot is the focus instead of the cat...

as the cat was abit too dark under there ... 0_O

jus some of my noob comments ... =p

Status
Not open for further replies.