ORKIO Urban DSLR Bag & Icode Straps

Dream Merchant

Staff member
Jan 11, 2007
A lot of new, fashionable bagz are available these days, and here's a good quality offering (IMO).

Orkio Urban DSLP Bagz.

A Belgium company, Orkio, produces a whole series of Urban Bagz (company's spelling) such as Mobile Bagz, Smartphone Bagz, Digi Bagz, SLR Bagz, Laptop Bagz, Laptop Sleevez, Multicase and Accessory straps.

In this mini-review, the 'WAVE' DSLR Bag is featured.

Orkio's newest, small size semi professional DSLR case is fashionable, coolly understated , great to see and carry. But it's also a serious piece of equipment which will allow you to work or play hard. Superior shock protection and double protection against rain. High end materials inside and out, adjustable shoulder strap with trendy shoulder pad and an extra handgrip, adjustable and removable dividers.

The material is simply stated as 'Nylon', not sure what denier, but it appears to be quite thick.

Dimensions:

Inside: 300 x 210 x 140mm
Outside: 320 x 220 x 160mm

The nicely padded shoulder pad is removable by velcro fasteners.

5967171765_cbbbbe18a2_z.jpg

Opened up... the inner cover provides a generous zippered compartment for batteries, cards or other small accessories.
The cover flap can be fastened by velcro, as well as a buckle snap-lock. There is another zippered compartment on the front of the bag as well.
This has three compartments - 2 x flat elasticize slots and one mini-main compartment (not shown)

5967168983_0922947653_z.jpg

From the top... while the orange flap does not provide a seal, this should not be a problem in daily casual usage ... unless you need to submerge your camera bag.
In which case, you'll need an entirely different category of cases like the Dokosil or Pelican.

5967722142_3d6eb3996a_z.jpg

The well-cushioned, luxuriant interior... partitions are provided for 6 compartments and can be moved anywhere inside the main compartment.

5967719902_be28e9daf2_z.jpg

Last edited:
How much stuff can you put inside ...

1 prosumer DSLP with a large 24-105 lens attached, a medium large 70-210mm lens (larger then the 70-200 f/4 L),
1 entire box of triggers and flash accessories, 2 x flash, and back in the end are two boxes which could easily be chargers etc.

5967717366_1b3e32e892_z.jpg

Different needs ...

1 x pro DSLR, 1 x prosumer DSLR, 2 x medium lenses, 2 flash.

5967715212_4f77066f42_z.jpg

The Wave DSLR Bag exudes quality throughout ... look at the 'bullet-proof' stitching and attention to detail!

5967712954_c86c4e9d25_z.jpg

5967154787_80da6ec8e8_z.jpg

5967706512_b5b8b18361_z.jpg

If you look carefully at the inside top of the zipper flap, you'll see a small magnet. This magnet HAS to be lifter up to reach the zipper.

5967708500_fa0e676d08_z.jpg

One last shot of the workmanship ... cute looking logo thrown in!

5967148647_457dc08c0b_z.jpg

ICODE CAMERA STRAPS

Rumoured to be a sizzling seller in the region (unverified), you have to admit that these camera straps from Korea sure look pretty!
I can forsee many pairings with m43 and prosumer cameras!

5967145671_8f3c841c5a_z.jpg

The ends are leather, finely stitched with a logo embossed.

5967700202_aa2851d2c5_z.jpg

The underside is a soft, luxuriant suede material dyed in a color matching the front of the strap.

5967140783_f0c71255c7_z.jpg

Last edited:
The company's European site

http://www.orkio.com/about.aspx

From its homepage

"The company behind Orkio was originally a design studio specialized in bag design, sampling and production placement. It was established in 2003 as a joint venture between a Belgium and a Taiwanese design company.

The HQ was in Taipei for a better control of sampling and production. In 2004, the first bag collection was made and sold to mobile phone accessories distributors in Europe

Orkio, the brand, was established and registered in 2006 as a high quality brand of original fashion bags for mobile electronics.

This was based on the observation that there was a real lack in choice for consumers of European style fashion cases, and evidence that most cases are generic, super large volume, medium to low quality items, where design is limited to a colour and graphic choice, on a standard case.

Today, Orkio is a 100% Belgium owned company. It has its own warehouse in Belgium which holds stock for the European market, it has a design team in Belgium, an administrative and purchasing office in Taiwan and a sampling workshop and QC team in China.

I normally do not think twice about camera bags and have been through Lowepro, Thinktank, Domke and a few others .... however I like the simple clean and smart lines. Closer examination shows obvious top-shelf quality materials used, lots of practical little points incorporated ...... and they make no effort to hide the strong stitchings.

"coolly understated " ........ spot on, I think you nailed it right there DM.

I love it..... that its not Crumpler bike messanger bag 'LOUD' ..... nor does it look like an out-and-out camera bag

I have the slightly larger one that can hold a laptop and more gear. Carried it to the office last week and it blends in with office wear and even with a suit on

I see myself bringing this on business trips on business appointments with camera gear, laptop and files all in one very "cooly understated" package

Will share some pics in this thread over the next couple of days

Last edited:
Ahh, that must have been the bag I saw you with recently Ed!

Great background info about these bags.

Will see if I can 'torture' test the WAVE in the next few days after Clients' work.

Cheers!

We have no indications on the RRP or even where to get these bags ...... we're just testing out these bags and straps

But will keep all infomed if we hear anything

I have been using the larger SLR bag (below pics) which can accomodate a laptop as well

It has a VERY well-built hand-hold strap
Also a VERY VERY NICE zipper located atop for quick access to gear inside..... will show you later how nice
top_of_bag.jpg

There is a pull-out bag insert that you can take out to pack your gear properly or to leave at home if you have other stuff to haul
outside.jpg

One of the many many little things they incorporated into the design ..... a waterproof bottom ..... check out the stitchings..... when manufacturers do stuff like this, they are just asking to be loved
bag_bottom.jpg

I like the zipper. Might actually buy it just coz of the awesome zipper :confused: lol

This is European design's attention to little little details ....... they have built in zipper flaps (my eyes almost popped out)
flap_opened.jpg

zipper.jpg

The stitchings are just .... so clean and strong..... and the material is top-rate ....
material_stitching.jpg

bulletproof.jpg

buckle.jpg

innards.jpg

Just TOTALLY bulletproof workmanship

Last edited:
I just HATE reviews like this ........... where its easier to just let the pics do the talking

The buckle design is sweet and puts a good lock on the selected length when pushed down
strap_lock.jpg

omg .... EVEN the shoulder strap has a holder built in below the buckle
strap_lock_opened.jpg

Inner liner for camera and gear which is removable
inner_liner.jpg

The innards of the inner liner
innards2.jpg

These Korean camera straps passed to us at the same time go well with the bags .... a nice rangefinder or m4/3 camera would go nicely with this attached .... i think they're sold separately
straps3.jpg

Just like DM said and showed above..... the camera straps look very well put together ..... older gentlemen will enjoy the retro feel of these
strap5.jpg

Last edited:
Inner liner for camera and gear which is removable
inner_liner.jpg

The innards of the inner liner
innards2.jpg

These Korean camera straps passed to us at the same time go well with the bags .... a nice rangefinder or m4/3 camera would go nicely with this attached .... i think they're sold separately
straps3.jpg

Just like DM said and showed above..... the camera straps look very well put together ..... older gentlemen will enjoy the retro feel of these
strap5.jpg

hi how much strap icode?
i ask u this strap can use any Dslr? if attach 70-200mm, strap will break??

.......i ask u this strap can use any Dslr? if attach 70-200mm, strap will break??

I just had the office muscleman try to rip the strap apart holding it end to end...... and he benchpress up to 83kg......its still in one piece

Very nicely made bag...

The brand sounds like the old Hokkien name of Balestier (Black Bridge). But this is a very cool bag. Very very tempting.

It looks good !