originality.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tammyt

I recently watch a singing contest show, and the judge commented on one of the contestant way of singing, as he is mimicking other singer voice.

and it got me thinking on the issues of originality....
you may copy others voice/style at the beginning as a stepping stone for the learning stage, but frm there, you must explore your own style,else, slowly you will become a "copy cat."

yes, a copy cat.... living behind others shadow..
and i am to relate it to design / styling / photography or creativity, the conceptual part.

i am in doubt of the "originality" issues too..
its now the 21st century, most of the ideas and concept has been done by others..
even for my own work, i cant even guarantee if it has been done before..
and cant deny the facts that, sometime it is just a coincidence that you thought of something that other ppl has been done before....
but to purposely copy it and make it your own work, i think that is very unforgivable..you may take the inspiration, how the work inspired you to form another piece of art, or to add in a different style of yours, but not to direct copy it.

i have seen some work, which i ADORE and ADMIRE... a piece of art, i must say, from styling, to composition...however, lately i found out that, it was a "DIRECT" copy from other photographers' achieves...you may be famous, and be recognized by ppl who didn't know of the original creator, but sooner or later, with the help of the advance internet, ppl will find out you are just a copy cat...

yes a copy cat.....

i am not a pro, nor i am very good in this field.. i am just to vent my disappointment over this issues. you may disagree with my point, but again, it is just my p.o.v.....

t.

just take it as the saying goes: mimicry is the best form of flattery
and your life will be simpler :bsmilie:

'There is no original ideas left'
This is not a new argument and has been discussed n debated to death.

Even our very sense of beauty and all things is not original but shaped by everything from our history, culture and surroundings. And thus we use words like personal 'interpretations'.

Perhaps if there appear a whole new 'Emotion' or 'Feeling' in the human race, I'll say all avenues has already been explored in varying degrees. Its just all different interpretations.

Lets say if tomorrow I shoot
1. wedding photos of couple looking like they died in a warzone..
2. whole series of Cars with beautifully lit undercarriages..
3. fashion models who are all missing one arm..
4. food photography where all food are served on broken plates.
etc etc..I think the above are all just interpretations of various ideas.

Is there anyone who dare say his work is a truly original work in terms of concept?I do not tink so.
If so, its just because we're too used to loosely using the word 'originality'
In fact, they more we 'learn' and so call 'improve',the further we are moving away from any hope of originality.

Last edited:
I recently watch a singing contest show, and the judge commented on one of the contestant way of singing, as he is mimicking other singer voice.

and it got me thinking on the issues of originality....
you may copy others voice/style at the beginning as a stepping stone for the learning stage, but frm there, you must explore your own style,else, slowly you will become a "copy cat."

yes, a copy cat.... living behind others shadow..
and i am to relate it to design / styling / photography or creativity, the conceptual part.

i am in doubt of the "originality" issues too..
its now the 21st century, most of the ideas and concept has been done by others..
even for my own work, i cant even guarantee if it has been done before..
and cant deny the facts that, sometime it is just a coincidence that you thought of something that other ppl has been done before....
but to purposely copy it and make it your own work, i think that is very unforgivable..you may take the inspiration, how the work inspired you to form another piece of art, or to add in a different style of yours, but not to direct copy it.

i have seen some work, which i ADORE and ADMIRE... a piece of art, i must say, from styling, to composition...however, lately i found out that, it was a "DIRECT" copy from other photographers' achieves...you may be famous, and be recognized by ppl who didn't know of the original creator, but sooner or later, with the help of the advance internet, ppl will find out you are just a copy cat...

yes a copy cat.....

i am not a pro, nor i am very good in this field.. i am just to vent my disappointment over this issues. you may disagree with my point, but again, it is just my p.o.v.....

t.

Chill, girl.... strive on ..looking fwd to see more works from you

Our local FASHION photographer, Geoff shared this as a parting quote in one of his recent talks:

Nothing is original. Steal from anywhere that resonates with inspiration or fuels your imagination. Devour old films, new films, music, books, paintings, photographs, poems, dreams, random conversations, architecture, bridges, street signs, trees, clouds, bodies of water, light and shadows. Select only things to steal from that speak directly to your soul. If you do this, your work (and theft) will be authentic. Authenticity is invaluable; originality is non-existent. And don’t bother concealing your thievery — celebrate it if you feel like it.

In any case, always remember what Jean-Luc Godard said: “It’s not where you take things from — it’s where you take them to".

Jim Jarmush

BUT, as to how I view it..
I appreciate beauty in all its various forms,eg. a lady may be asian, caucasian,etc, but still, I know a stunning lady when I see one.

I do not require her to be an original. In fact, can you imagine how sad the world would be if such a beauty walks the world but once?(originality)

However, I love that beauties appear in their various forms(interpretations). Doesnt matter that there may be copies in the world that I have not seen. :)

Hello redmonsoon,

thanks for the feedback...
and i totally agree with your point with:

"Even our very sense of beauty and all things is not original but shaped by everything from our history, culture and surroundings. And thus we use words like personal 'interpretations'."

perhaps i should change the title...
i am not really taking about "originality"
as i mentioned, i doubt that term too..
like i said, its 21 century now, most of the things has been done before.....
and no one can guarantee their work is original....
for example,when i see a piece of art, and it inspired me to do something similar,
but i m to imply my own style, my own interpretation.. and that's belongs to me.. i did not copy the work... and i am fine with it, even myself did that... some of my design work were inspired by other great designers..

but what i am pointing my finger are to those "copy cat",
who "copy" at least 95% frm the original work.. the concept, the design....
with the 5% left are perhaps the angle, the colour or the model...
below are an example taken from american next top model...
and another photographer....
have you seen something similar? yes, i did, few of them... :S

ANTM%2BStacyAnn.jpg

and this,
22752_1_468.jpeg

:sweat:

t

'There is no original ideas left'
This is not a new argument and has been discussed n debated to death.

Even our very sense of beauty and all things is not original but shaped by everything from our history, culture and surroundings. And thus we use words like personal 'interpretations'.

Perhaps if there appear a whole new 'Emotion' or 'Feeling' in the human race, I'll say all avenues has already been explored in varying degrees. Its just all different interpretations.

Lets say if tomorrow I shoot
1. wedding photos of couple looking like they died in a warzone..
2. whole series of Cars with beautifully lit undercarriages..
3. fashion models who are all missing one arm..
4. food photography where all food are served on broken plates.
etc etc..I think the above are all just interpretations of various ideas.

Is there anyone who dare say his work is a truly original work in terms of concept?I do not tink so.
If so, its just because we're too used to loosely using the word 'originality'
In fact, they more we 'learn' and so call 'improve',the further we are moving away from any hope of originality.

Hey Ah V!

:)
thanks!
yeah, i am aware of that quote too..
and i am totally agree with him........
and i love that phrase
"It’s not where you take things from — it’s where you take them to" :D

go ahead and steal ideas, but complete it with your own interpretation / creativity!!!

t

Chill, girl.... strive on ..looking fwd to see more works from you

Our local FASHION photographer, Geoff shared this as a parting quote in one of his recent talks:

Nothing is original. Steal from anywhere that resonates with inspiration or fuels your imagination. Devour old films, new films, music, books, paintings, photographs, poems, dreams, random conversations, architecture, bridges, street signs, trees, clouds, bodies of water, light and shadows. Select only things to steal from that speak directly to your soul. If you do this, your work (and theft) will be authentic. Authenticity is invaluable; originality is non-existent. And don’t bother concealing your thievery — celebrate it if you feel like it.

In any case, always remember what Jean-Luc Godard said: “It’s not where you take things from — it’s where you take them to".

Jim Jarmush

two quotes:

"it's all been done before"

"originality is overrated"

kthxbai

often, the people who think their work is original.. just haven't seen enough sometimes.

do it purposely and yet do it better
so others will forget about the originality

Haiz,

it's a matter of fact that you did it on purpose or not........

the world is pragmatic.

you can do it on purpose or not, sell it properly one way or another, people will believe.

person a has an original idea but doesn't know how to sell it

person b sees the original idea, notes that person a doesn't know how to sell it, nor how to protect it, he takes it, markets it well, and sells it

person b becomes famous and rich. do you think person a is going to try to do anything, especially if person a remains poor?

it's nice to be idealistic now and then.. but too often, you just become a dreamer

I was just tinking after my bath just now, and standing in front of the mirror..
That it'll be so difficult or possibly, almost next to impossible to simply ' Have an original facial expression!'..:bsmilie:

two people can execute an idea so cliched, and though both aren't original ideas, it doesn't mean that one can't outshine the other.

it's really the way you do it. poor execution of any idea, whether original or not, will still result in a horrible picture.

and if you can make a supposedly unoriginal idea look even better than the original one, why not?

Last edited:
i am cool with the idea of do it better than the original... :)

btw, i can't stop laughing about the "original SMile" thingy!!! lol
i wonder who invented "smile".. besides, for what i have know of,
everyone has their own different kind of smiling face, everyone smile differently isnt it? no?
unless it is a clone? hrmmm.. clone sounds scary!!!!! :dunno:

Last edited:
I was just tinking after my bath just now, and standing in front of the mirror..
That it'll be so difficult or possibly, almost next to impossible to simply ' Have an original facial expression!'..:bsmilie:

Turn your back to the mirro and smile.

That's an original smile. :bsmilie:

...and if you can make a supposedly unoriginal idea look even better than the original one, why not?

Is it original to tranform an unoriginal idea into an original result which is better than the unoriginal one but not worse than an original piece but turns out to be unoriginally original? :)

Is it original to tranform an unoriginal idea into an original result which is better than the unoriginal one but not worse than an original piece but turns out to be unoriginally original? :)

this sounds like something i would have typed..

Originally Posted by Sion View Post

Is it original to tranform an unoriginal idea into an original result which is better than the unoriginal one but not worse than an original piece but turns out to be unoriginally original?

Ohhh.. Go out take my original(to me & my camera) photos loh...:)
*u guys complicates e world too much..lol:sweat:

Status
Not open for further replies.