Original branded Bags versus clone copies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elizabeth Tan

Deregistered
May 1, 2003
Singapore
Visit site
Is it always that a branded bag will be much more better built compared to imitation copies like Mekko, Safrotto etc which are up to 80% cheaper. From the appearance they do look smiliar. As to how durable the cheaper versions are, I do not know. Anyone care to share with me their experiences with imitation copies?

i have not used the copies, but from what i understand the biggest difference would be the fabrics used, it is akin to buying top of the line haversack vs a budget brand. issues to consider is how heavy a user are you? water proofing for budget brands tend to be lacking as well (again due to fabrics), but hey i always go out with a trash bag in case i am caught in a downpour. just dump the bag in and good to go.

other nitpicking issues includes zippers, overall weight of bag, minute design details

as long as

1.the strap is strong enuff
2.the bag body wont tear easily
3.the bag design (space/slots/compartments/add-ons) suits ur needs
4.the cost is ok

then real brand or fake brand..its still a bag worth buying ;-)

may i share something with you guys, real story

the imitation copies used different canvas, materials and they copy from the orginal to save costs.

that means they do not need to pay designers to design the bag

usually they used the cheapest fabrics to save cost, workmanship will be not in their mind as they want to sell it cheap. QC of the bag is questionable, all these are cost, which is offset when you buy a fake.

if the real stuff suffer poor sales due to 'fakes' they go into red and cannot operate and these ppl will lose their jobs.

everyone will want to make bags will think twice, its easily to copy than to create.

when no new bags are design, the imitation have nothing to copy.

at the end its a lose/lose situation.

why is this real story? cos i'm a designer and there are people ripping off my stuff. sales suffer and and at last i will be unable to design and produce anymore. then the rip-offs have nothing to copy.

for the record, the safrotto bags aren't that much cheaper really. Wish they were though.

I went to have a look at the Camera Workshop Bag #03-01 unit showroom... there are a lot of bags ... mainly Safrotto and Mekko...much more than what Cathay Photo is selling. Looking at the ranges, they look similar to Lowepro and Domke and are a lot cheaper in price than the branded staff. Their quality and built seems comparable to the originals. One thing to take note off is the padding which seems too thin for some of their models. Durability-wise I guess you have to use it to know. I would say that Safrotto and Mekko are value for money for those that do not mind going for non-branded bags.

szekiat said:
for the record, the safrotto bags aren't that much cheaper really. Wish they were though.

I was thinking of getting a Safrotto bag previously, but decided to get a crumpler bag instead. Never regretted my purchase. Was having 2nd thoughts about the Safrotto, as like you mentioned, I found the padding too thin, and was afraid it would not provide adequate protection on the move.

The price could be considered cheap if you compared them to the original, but they don't provide the same level of protection and durability. Since we've already spent so much on the camera, we should spend that bit more to ensure that the camera is well protected. Besides, I don't find Safrotto bag really cheap either, The L100 which I was looking at was about 1/2 the price($45) of the LowePro original($80+), but it does not provide 1/2 the protection and piece of mind. The only thing going for it was a good looking design. At that price range, there're other bags that provide better returns.

Just my 2 cents worth of view. YMMV. Cheers

Can consider the ones from Nikon and Canon, if you can get them cheaply. Standard ones and no frills, my Nikon one is pretty close to one of the models from Lowepro but more than half the price cheaper. :)

padding and waterproof most important....brand....nevermind lo...haha...look i using some china backpac now....like some mini trekekr....but only 50 bucks....no brand....but it works....so far haha

Elizabeth Tan said:
Is it always that a branded bag will be much more better built compared to imitation copies like Mekko, Safrotto etc which are up to 80% cheaper. From the appearance they do look smiliar. As to how durable the cheaper versions are, I do not know. Anyone care to share with me their experiences with imitation copies?

I will not be getting any camera bag in case of thief.
it will be better and cheaper if you can get some other bag that offer protection. eg. diaper bag, etc.
no guy will steal a diaper bag, right?

coldman said:
I will not be getting any camera bag in case of thief.
it will be better and cheaper if you can get some other bag that offer protection. eg. diaper bag, etc.
no guy will steal a diaper bag, right?

you must have read that off somewhere...
so apart from this diaper bag, do you intend to dress as scruffily as possible to ward of thieves too?

how about making your lenses look so worn and used that no thief worth his salt will want it.

Status
Not open for further replies.