Oriental Spoon Restaurant Food Photography

Status
Not open for further replies.

heartpatrick

Oct 25, 2007
Hi All,

Not sure where else to post food photography stuff. Did the following shoot for Oriental Spoon restaurant in Kuala Lumpur for some of their new menu items:

Pic 1:
pic03.jpg

Pic 2:
pic04.jpg

Pic 3:
pic05.jpg

Pic 4:
pic06.jpg

Pic 5:
pic07.jpg

The full album is available here:
http://www.heartpatrick.com/orientalspoon2/index.html

Thanks all.

Regards,
Patrick
http://www.heartpatrick.com

3 more pics here. Thanks! :)

Pic 6:
pic08.jpg

Pic 7:
pic10.jpg

PIc 8:
pic11.jpg

Just my personal opinion: It might be nice from a technical point of view to create a shallow DOF and a nice bokeh ... but as a guest I'd like to see the food fully and sharp. If more than 50% of the dish 'disappears' in background blur then this it not appealing to me. A bit more DOF would be helpful here so that at least the dish itself is sharp.

The layout's nice!

But Octarine has a point.

Most important question: Did the client pay you in full, and were the clients happy? :cool:

The layout's nice!

But Octarine has a point.

Most important question: Did the client pay you in full, and were the clients happy? :cool:
thanks for the feedback! yes, i agree with i should have stopped down aperture to give more details to the food hehe. the food arrangement overall is not very sexy actually, so i had to use this method to only highlight the areas that look nice :)

erm no cash rewards actually, but got food vouchers that should last me a few visits i hope.:D

Is this the final photo? It seems the white balance is a bit yellowish.
I also agree with octarine.. or if you really want shallow DOF, make sure the objective is sharp (i.e. pic 3 siew mai did not show enough detail).
For some, I might want to cut 1 piece to show what is inside (i.e. pic4.. cannot see the kani). The small pic6 shows what is inside, but if big pic show this, it will temp me more to order it.
Anyway, my point is more on the customer POV. The photo must convince me that I want to order it. :)

For Food Photography, always try not avoid a tight framing. Having some spaces is actually good and it brings attention to the food. It is not about the food itself but the overall presentation that attracts diners.

Unlike Portraits, food should generally be sharp.

I also noticed a yellow tinge and did you use flash for it? It seems to be under and color aint too attractive either.

Then again, since it aint a paid job, take it as a learning opportunity.

Cheers

You have got a nice layout design here. As for the photo, maybe u can try to adjust color temperature as most of it appears to be warm. And a little prop styling will also help :)

Love the clean layout of the album:)

Layout is ok.

Technically colour temp too yellowish, the way the food is presented does not look appealing, some look oily or too dry, "no light" in the shots.

Ask yourself would you eat it if you see such picture? Well, at least you got free vouchers for your taste buds.

Never mind, try again next time. :thumbsup:

a job, is a job
have to take pride in your own work too.

do you really like what you shot for this client?

before you seek your client's approval for the shot taken, ask yourself if you're ok with the shot: the composition, the lighting, the colour

personally, i think it's bad in general

1. too warm/yellowish, if you shoot raw, try adjusting the white balance and add some warm touch in photoshop at post processing

2. too close up, can't even figure out what are the food that you shot, pull out a little bit, see more things, and use bigger aperture to blur all the ugly parts if you need to

3. bad lighting, underexposed and the whole image actually look very flat. actually you could've just brought the food the somewhere near the window or along the corridor of the restaurant to shoot with natural lights, might work much better for you

last but not least, your foods look very dry, especially those steamed ones. add some oil to it for some shines will make it look much better.

if you find my comments too offensive, please let me know
i will remove them

Status
Not open for further replies.