Oriental Pied Hornbill (*not* JBP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

harlequin2902

May 11, 2004
Managed to take a picture of this Hornbill in flight during my walk along one of the local nature trails.

When I first spotted it...it was like :
0508HB.jpg

Can you see it ? If not for it's hysterical laughter-like calls, I wouldn't have noticed !

And after nearly an hour's wait, it decided to do a flyby ! Fortunately for me, I managed to release my camera from the tripod just in time :sweat: and snapped about 6 or 7 shots as it flew past. Thankfully, my AF didn't let me down when I needed it most...whew :sweat: . These 2 were the surviving ones :

0508HB2.jpg

0508HB3.jpg

Thanks.

Great and clean shots harlequin. Hope to be able to see this creature on Sat.

jbma said:
Great and clean shots harlequin. Hope to be able to see this creature on Sat.

Hi,

Thanks jbma. I was really lucky. Imagine if the AF system decided to go 'hunting' at that time, like how it sometimes ruins my shots for Raptors flying by ... :angry:

Beautiful shots. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

U waited for 1 hour for the shot? U are super patient.
Mind sharing the exposure settings? Mind sharing the location too? :bsmilie:
What cam are u using?

Hi,

Thanks ccplim and capricorn. Lucky shots only lah :embrass:

capricorn : using a D70 + 70-300G at maximum zoom. ISO 200. can't really remember the exposure as I've cleared my memory card already, but it was really fast. ~ 1/2000s I think. Location...erm, I think I'd better learn to follow the code of practice for nature shooters here :bsmilie: Those who know where, ok lah, but the answer cannot come out from my mouth :)

harlequin2902 said:
Hi,

Thanks ccplim and capricorn. Lucky shots only lah :embrass:

capricorn : using a D70 + 70-300G at maximum zoom. ISO 200. can't really remember the exposure as I've cleared my memory card already, but it was really fast. ~ 1/2000s I think. Location...erm, I think I'd better learn to follow the code of practice for nature shooters here :bsmilie: Those who know where, ok lah, but the answer cannot come out from my mouth :)

You are really lucky! Furthermore, the weather today was real good!

ccplim said:
You are really lucky! Furthermore, the weather today was real good!

Yeah, great weather today. You can see how blue the sky was. I hope we get the same good weather on Saturday too, at least for the entire duration of our tower shoot.

harlequin2902 said:
Yeah, great weather today. You can see how blue the sky was. I hope we get the same good weather on Saturday too, at least for the entire duration of our tower shoot.

Hope so man! That sky was really blue and nice.

This was the status shown today.

Nice shots of oriental pied hornbill in flight. Well done and keep it up! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thanks for your kind words, skfoo and avatar. :)

I'll keep shooting and practicing whenever I have the chance.

Very nice... got the background in your favour too...!!!

nice flight series. are you able to brighten the underwing detail?

Thanks for your comments jag, iceman27 and erwinx.

erwinx : hm, yeah, now that you mentioned, it does look flat black eh :think: I'll see what I can do with PS.

Thanks.

Ok, I used PS to brighten the parts under the wing a little.

Slightly better ? :think:

0508HB3b.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.