Oriental Pied Hornbill (*not* JBP)


Status
Not open for further replies.

harlequin2902

New Member
May 11, 2004
466
0
0
Managed to take a picture of this Hornbill in flight during my walk along one of the local nature trails.

When I first spotted it...it was like :


Can you see it ? If not for it's hysterical laughter-like calls, I wouldn't have noticed !

And after nearly an hour's wait, it decided to do a flyby ! Fortunately for me, I managed to release my camera from the tripod just in time :sweat: and snapped about 6 or 7 shots as it flew past. Thankfully, my AF didn't let me down when I needed it most...whew :sweat: . These 2 were the surviving ones :





Thanks.
 

jbma

Senior Member
Dec 28, 2003
3,287
0
0
Tampines
Great and clean shots harlequin. Hope to be able to see this creature on Sat.
 

harlequin2902

New Member
May 11, 2004
466
0
0
jbma said:
Great and clean shots harlequin. Hope to be able to see this creature on Sat.
Hi,

Thanks jbma. I was really lucky. Imagine if the AF system decided to go 'hunting' at that time, like how it sometimes ruins my shots for Raptors flying by ... :angry:
 

capricorn

New Member
Apr 9, 2004
89
0
0
Beautiful shots. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

U waited for 1 hour for the shot? U are super patient.
Mind sharing the exposure settings? Mind sharing the location too? :bsmilie:
What cam are u using?
 

harlequin2902

New Member
May 11, 2004
466
0
0
Hi,

Thanks ccplim and capricorn. Lucky shots only lah :embrass:

capricorn : using a D70 + 70-300G at maximum zoom. ISO 200. can't really remember the exposure as I've cleared my memory card already, but it was really fast. ~ 1/2000s I think. Location...erm, I think I'd better learn to follow the code of practice for nature shooters here :bsmilie: Those who know where, ok lah, but the answer cannot come out from my mouth :)
 

ccplim

New Member
Jan 6, 2004
1,229
0
0
BN
www.avianwatchasia.org
harlequin2902 said:
Hi,

Thanks ccplim and capricorn. Lucky shots only lah :embrass:

capricorn : using a D70 + 70-300G at maximum zoom. ISO 200. can't really remember the exposure as I've cleared my memory card already, but it was really fast. ~ 1/2000s I think. Location...erm, I think I'd better learn to follow the code of practice for nature shooters here :bsmilie: Those who know where, ok lah, but the answer cannot come out from my mouth :)
You are really lucky! Furthermore, the weather today was real good!
 

harlequin2902

New Member
May 11, 2004
466
0
0
ccplim said:
You are really lucky! Furthermore, the weather today was real good!
Yeah, great weather today. You can see how blue the sky was. I hope we get the same good weather on Saturday too, at least for the entire duration of our tower shoot.
 

ccplim

New Member
Jan 6, 2004
1,229
0
0
BN
www.avianwatchasia.org
harlequin2902 said:
Yeah, great weather today. You can see how blue the sky was. I hope we get the same good weather on Saturday too, at least for the entire duration of our tower shoot.
Hope so man! That sky was really blue and nice.

This was the status shown today.
 

skfoo

Senior Member
Mar 15, 2003
1,312
0
36
Visit site
Nice shots of oriental pied hornbill in flight. Well done and keep it up! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
 

harlequin2902

New Member
May 11, 2004
466
0
0
Thanks for your kind words, skfoo and avatar. :)

I'll keep shooting and practicing whenever I have the chance.
 

Iceman27

New Member
Feb 27, 2004
268
0
0
Very nice... got the background in your favour too...!!!
 

erwinx

Senior Member
Jan 18, 2002
2,427
0
36
Visit site
nice flight series. are you able to brighten the underwing detail?
 

harlequin2902

New Member
May 11, 2004
466
0
0
Thanks for your comments jag, iceman27 and erwinx.

erwinx : hm, yeah, now that you mentioned, it does look flat black eh :think: I'll see what I can do with PS.

Thanks.
 

harlequin2902

New Member
May 11, 2004
466
0
0
Ok, I used PS to brighten the parts under the wing a little.

Slightly better ? :think:

 

Status
Not open for further replies.