Oriental Pearl TV Tower

Status
Not open for further replies.

TigerOyster

May 11, 2008
Hi guys. This is my very first night shot. As it is really a typical place of interest shot with not much of a storyline, i am not sure if i have posted in the correct section. However, i am still looking for C&C interms of composition and exposure, or other nitty gritty details a noob like me missed out.

orientpearl.jpg

23mm, ISO100, F18, 15sec

Last edited:
EDIT: seems that you have figured it out..

anyway, its quite a well executed shot.. might want to come earlier to get more colours and details in the skies, the twlight hours just after sunset..

Last edited:
thanks, just figured it out but u were faster :)

1) i feel very uncomfortable with the tower slanting, if its a photo of a bunch of skyscrapers like our cbd, than the keystoning effect is still acceptable.

2) may i suggest to crop the 2 sides, especially the right, crop until near the start of the blue light trail.

3) like others had mentioned, shoot during magic hours.

4) it gives me a feeling that its floating water, never been there. maybe can include abit of land in the foreground?

J-Chan. Thanks for the tip. I haven't actually thought about going early for the details on the sky. now that you have mentioned and i can sort of visualise, I should have done so.

Denniskee. This is actually the equivalent of the Singapore CBD shot. May i know what caused the slanting of the building? Is it the wide angle it was taken? I also think that the slanting of the buildings does not add to the aesthetics but i do not know how to overcome it. As for foreground, it is all water and the first thing that will hit the photo after the water will be railings.

yes it is equ of our cbd, but it looks "empty" if you compare photos of our cbd taken from say esplanade park. so the slanting on the tower becomes very visible.

keystoning effect is when you shoot tall buildings from ground level, so you point the camera upwards. the base looks wider and it taper inwards as it goes up. doesnt matter if it is wide angle or normal lens.

1) can use the function found in photoshop cs2/3, fellow cser night68mare had taken great effort to do a write up on how to do it in cs2
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=358469

2) use a perspective lens ie PC lens or Shift lens or Tilt/Shift lens. use the shift function. but make sure you set to manual mode and set the exposure accordingly before shifting the lens.

Last edited:
Thanks Denniskee! Just tried it on CS2 and it looks better now :D

Status
Not open for further replies.