Orient Photo @ Sim Lim Square #06-31/53

Status
Not open for further replies.
not everything is cheap. was quoted $225 fo MB200 for grey set. TKF quoted me $220 local set but got no stock. CP $235 local also no stock. decided to try my luck at song brothers n guess wat, $215 local!!! n got stock. so i bought the last piece fm them. song bro is the last place i'll go as they r usually quite ex compare to the others. but for some reason, they seem to hv quoted me the lowest...:dunno: anyways i happy with the deal...;)
as for oient photo, i must say the lenses r quite cheap. although its grey, lenses seldom spoil. so its ok to go grey but not for cam. i'd rather pay a bit more n go with the local.

Went there today, and I think there were quite a lot of CS-ers popping by into the stores.

Service was actually quite good, and prices for their grey sets are rather attractive in general - definitely comparable to the prices in HK. Definitely gives the other stores a run for their money.

But of course - as always, do your homework before committing.

PS: For those who want to get their stuff from them, do so by the end of this month, as there will be no 5% GST charged till end of this month (their GST registration commences on Apr).

So effectively, everything in the shop has a 5% discount.. :)

generally their lenses and flash are cheaper... was there just now too...

yes it's true... their no 5% GST will last only for 3 more days...

come 1st April (no it's not an April Fool's Day joke), they will charge 5% GST and subsequently 7%

the lady there did say that will also be adjusting their prices... not sure what that meant... either (1) prices may go up to what is comparable to other shops or (2) trying to say that even with the 5% GST they will adjust prices such that it'll still be cheaper...

hopefully it's (2)

anyway, yes not all their products are cheaper...for example their LowerPro RoverPlus AW backpack goes for $230 but at TKF it's only $175!

when I told them that, they were sort of surprised and wanted to know where I got it... so I think they are price sensitive... so if you get something cheaper let them know... maybe they will adjust downwords too!

the service I must say is pretty good... i didn't bring my camera there and they were willing to let me try out a lens with a body in their shop! also let me use thier blower etc etc

apparently they are a wholesaler in Shanghai with a shop about 3 times the size at SL... so that explains why they could charge lower prices...import from HK I think... heck the SB-800 went for $550 (grey) but with a minor hitch (the lady was honest to tell me that without me having to discover it by myself) - manual was in chinese!!! but the lady serving me said they did ask only English version be sent here but unfortunately the chinese ones were sent so she offered to download the English .pdf version of the manual from the internet into my thumb drive, something I could do myself, but man that's pretty good service won't you say? and the other guy even was willing to give me another $5 off the bill for paying in cash!!! they were willing to accept NETS but told me honestly that they will be charged a fee by NETS (abt $13 apparently) and said if I paid cash they will give another $5 off... where can you find such attitude in shops manned by Singaporeans?!?

let's hope they can continue to do good business here in Singapore... we need more of such camera shops around...

so it's a shop to worth visiting and checking out when you want to buy something but yep you still need to do your homework as somethings are more expensive there...

Doggone it! The SB800 is just $550?!?!?!?!

Right, tell me about it. Wonder how much would they be selling the Nikkor 18-70 & SB-600 and wondering if they accept credit card. Dang....

Went to the shop just now...was quoted $1330 nett for Nikkor 18-200 vr international warranty from HK...is it fair enough?

Went to the shop just now...was quoted $1330 nett for Nikkor 18-200 vr international warranty from HK...is it fair enough?

That's very expensive...:sweat:

I bought quite a things from them already because of their service and price. I hope they stay here for good, because no one else in Singapore carry the variety of stuff they have, eg Velbon full range (can order if it's not in store), Giottos, etc.

Was quoted $560 for a Nikon 85mm f/1.8.

The 77mm Kenko Pro1 filter is going for $45. I bought the same from TK for $55 sigh

why all products purchased from them in this thread are all Nikon?

why all products purchased from them in this thread are all Nikon?

I bought BG-E2 and EX15 from them coz can't wait for yours:bsmilie: . No free gift.:cry: I must say their service is good. The nice lady there can speak good english...

So much talk about the good things and experience @ this shop expecially about Lynn. Perhaps CP, AP and MS should employ you ladies to serve the customers. Just kidding.

Serious, one must do his/her homework before deciding where to get the best offer. Not all the items are @ best offer than other established photographic equipment shops in Singapore. Also note that shop warranty and manufacturer warranty is different.

I've purchased few items from them and find the price is better than others. But come to expensive items like body and lens, I will have a 2nd or 3rd thought before the purchase.

I have always been serviced by the man who speaks mandrain. He offers good services too and provided me with good recommendations. My general impression is that the service level is well maintained whether you buy or don't any items from the shop.

As for prices, most items are cheaper (but without local warranty), some are equivalent or slightly more expansive compared to those that are sold by other shops.

Just hope that this shop would raise the service level of other shops.

I've purchased few items from them and find the price is better than others. But come to expensive items like body and lens, I will have a 2nd or 3rd thought before the purchase.
from wat i observe, its seems like the expensive items such as body n lens r cheap. its the cheaper stuff tats a little more ex.:think:

They give best prices for Sigma lenses. I went just now to ask about 105mm, they quote me $560 but they'll need to order first. AP gave me $680. Even when tomorrow comes, $560 + GST = $588. But best of all they gave me sincere service. The guys there may not speak as well-mannered as Lynn, but they are really sincere and honest.:thumbsup:

Just came back from Orient Photo. Good price and service. The guy who attended to me for my 70-200 f/4L IS actually wore a white glove b4 he handled the lens... very impressed.

In the end I got the lens at 1620, plus a Benro A-157, Velbon QHD-51Q and a 67mm Hoya HMC filter. Paid 1800 in total.

Better hurry b4 they really implement gst. Today suppose to be last day, but from what I heard should have a few more days of buffer for them to settle paperwork.

They give best prices for Sigma lenses. I went just now to ask about 105mm, they quote me $560 but they'll need to order first. AP gave me $680. Even when tomorrow comes, $560 + GST = $588. But best of all they gave me sincere service. The guys there may not speak as well-mannered as Lynn, but they are really sincere and honest.:thumbsup:

i think they will reduce the price tag of $560 to compensate for gst. but it'll b more than 560 but less than 588.

Just came back from Orient Photo. Good price and service. The guy who attended to me for my 70-200 f/4L IS actually wore a white glove b4 he handled the lens... very impressed.

In the end I got the lens at 1620, plus a Benro A-157, Velbon QHD-51Q and a 67mm Hoya HMC filter. Paid 1800 in total.

Better hurry b4 they really implement gst. Today suppose to be last day, but from what I heard should have a few more days of buffer for them to settle paperwork.

I was overjoyed to see the shop selling velbon items when I first went past the store! immediately bought a 530A tripod and a 51Q head as well!

I ordered a QR plate for my 51Q as well, and got a bagman bag on my previous trip. I'm quite a regular there now! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.