organise photo shoots?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eadwine

Jan 17, 2002
east side
Hey, I think we should organise photo shoots...
i mean like hire models, set up stage,like what photo-art is doing.

what do u guys think? good bad idea?:D

And... who shall pay? Who shall organise?

err.. there was this thread that was running. think it's been inactive for quite a while.

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1700

Don't think organising this would be a problem. We would just need some contacts and some willing parties. Costs can be shared amonst all photographers present - perhaps it might be necessary even pay a deposit of sorts - just to confirm your attendance.

Need one chap to suggest and book a location and date/time.

One/or a couple chaps to get them models.

One to collect them deposits.

Any volunteers?

The reason why I raised it up was because ClubSNAP does not have proper accounts. Neither are we willing to have it at this moment in time.

It's not just so simple as hiring the models, finding a place, and that's it. The setting has to be staged, and all. Reflectors, lighting, etc have to be brought in. How about props?

How many of you are willing to sacrifice your time, week in week out, to do stuff like these? Not to mention that the organisers probably would not be able to have time to shoot but would have to spend time monitoring the staging. Are YOU willing to do it? To spend all your time on administration work, setting up work, and yet not having the chance to shoot?

And one more thing to add, it's not a "NO" to it. If you're willing to come out with a plan on how to do this right, we'll be more than willing to hear your suggestion. Being a member of Photo-Art myself, I'm just giivng you an idea of the amount of work that goes into every photo-shoot.

Well, the way i figured, Clubsnap doesn't need to keep such accounts at all. It's a forum. Should the folks in the forum decide to organise the abovementioned activity, so be it. Clubsnap need not officially organise one. It's like deciding to meet up at Lido for a movie and using Clubsnap's forums to decide on which movie to see.

Would it be possible to get/rent/book a fully furnished photo studio? Is it difficult to get/rent/book one? Is it expensive? I'm new to organising photographic events, so perhaps there're things that do not realise and appreciate.

:)

all guidance is warmly welcomed. I honestly wouldn't mind organising such an event if i knew what is involved. it'll be a good learning experience no?

Fundee got lobang. Studio in Geylang for $250 per day. A bit expensive for one person, and tiring to shoot the whole day.

May I suggest those who want to try studio shoot, get together and split the studio time. Each one gets a slot, maybe 2 hours each, BYOM (bring your own model), or share model also can. If cannot get model, well, it IS located in Geylang.... This way it becomes quite affordable.

Originally posted by rochkoh
Well, the way i figured, Clubsnap doesn't need to keep such accounts at all. It's a forum. Should the folks in the forum decide to organise the abovementioned activity, so be it. Clubsnap need not officially organise one. It's like deciding to meet up at Lido for a movie and using Clubsnap's forums to decide on which movie to see.

Would it be possible to get/rent/book a fully furnished photo studio? Is it difficult to get/rent/book one? Is it expensive? I'm new to organising photographic events, so perhaps there're things that do not realise and appreciate.

all guidance is warmly welcomed. I honestly wouldn't mind organising such an event if i knew what is involved. it'll be a good learning experience no?

It depends on what sort of photoshoot you want to organise. If you're talking about studio, generally the equipment is all there. However, it's advisable to have someone there who's familiar with the equipment, which might incur additional costs. There's also makeup, clothing, etc etc.

If it's outdoors... it's quite a different story already. Reflectors are a must... Why? Cos' if you're shooting in a group, i.e. more than 10, setting off fill flash will get you killed by the others. :p And also, it helps get rid of the shadows oft-seen, like under the chin, etc. Also... positioning of reflectors. Will there be stands? Or do you require people to hold it up. How about the background? Sometimes, if you're shooting in the open... the background can be very distracting... hence black cloth or camo cloth needs to be brought... not to mention the equipment to be brought along to hang the cloth. Additional equipment needs to be brought along according to the theme of the day. You want to create rain... where are you gonna cart the water in from, and pump it using what? :p

People neglect this very important fact. But there should only be one person controlling the poses at any one time, or even better all the time (Shouting at the model to turn to face you not included).

Very importantly, someone to coordinate the entire thing, ticking off what's to be brought, who's the model to be hired, etc. It quite defeats the purpose, if all the equipment is there but the person hiring the model turns up and says the model backed out at the last minute. How about wet weather plans?

I'm not too sure about this, but I believe there are some forms to be signed by the model.

Feel free to add in other things I've left out.

Originally posted by StreetShooter
Fundee got lobang. Studio in Geylang for $250 per day. A bit expensive for one person, and tiring to shoot the whole day.

May I suggest those who want to try studio shoot, get together and split the studio time. Each one gets a slot, maybe 2 hours each, BYOM (bring your own model), or share model also can. If cannot get model, well, it IS located in Geylang.... This way it becomes quite affordable.

One thing, if you're planning to hire amateur models, it's not a good idea to have only one model for the whole day. The first few photographers would get smiles... the last few would probably get scowls. :p

Originally posted by Richard
And... who shall pay? Who shall organise?

i mean we could each chip in a little?

thanks for the info guys..
sorry but i really didn't know it could be such a hassel to organise such things.ignorant lah me.

hmm...but i believe maybe one day it might happen =)

Originally posted by eadwine
thanks for the info guys..
sorry but i really didn't know it could be such a hassel to organise such things.ignorant lah me.

hmm...but i believe maybe one day it might happen =)
Well it that the effort of one man to get to what we are today.

It may take you, yes you, Eadwine, to get it done! So go ahead and plan it!
hhehehehheee

Wow! I'm certainly learning a lot here. And who says the quality of posts here ain't up to standard.

Didn't know that organising such events would be a potential logistical nightmare! :what:

Thanks Richard for showing me some light. Humbled. :embrass:

Perhaps till that day we're stuck with:
a) Fashion shows
b) Sneaking behind couples taking their wedding shots
c) Friends and relatives

But surely we could down-scale the event. Keep it small.
a) A fully furnished studio - indoors. In Geylang or whatever.
b) BYOM or pay some part-timers for a max of 4 hours each (to keep them fresh). Or rotate them. Say maximum of 4 models at only one time (or BYO), and have 2-3 sessions of 4 hours each.
c) Fixed costs (studio and equipment rental) spilt equally depending on the number of sessions.
d) Recurring costs (models) spilt by usage.
e) Have a maxmium number of photographers per session. We don't wanna overwhelm the models or scare them.
f) Maybe engage a student/part-time make-up artise to help out.
g) Have a theme for each session. First session say sporting wear, second session say casual wear, third say formal wear or whatever. We can vote or decide.

Suggest, gauge members response and react accordingly. It's afterall a 'suggestion' forum. Lets be flexible.

And hopefully it'll be a good learning experience. :) For all of us.

Yes, please keep the suggestions coming in! Hopefully, someone would stand right out and organise one!

I think quite many people here, like me, are not familiar with studio photography but surely intersted in learning. If u need someone to help, count me in. The proposal itself sounds great to me. If we don't try then never know how.

Looking forward to making it happen, hehe :rbounce:

Originally posted by AdamGoi

The arrows @ Clubsnap fly fast and accurate! ;)

wah .... so fast tio arrow...
if buy toto or 4d got this "zhun" or not

me??? one man show?
can meh...only newbie here leh..feel pretty inadequate to do it

Status
Not open for further replies.