Ordinary night view

Wan Ling

Nov 8, 2010
endwork2.jpg

1.In what area is critique to be sought?

As a beginner, I would like to know critiques on how the whole picture presents.

2.What one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?

To capture a very ordinary night scenery in a creative way.

3.Under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)

A usual night view I'll get from my room's window.

4.What the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture

I like how the glass stands out in this picture.

I would say that the spots of lights stand out way more than the glass. The glass is pretty dark. The spots of lights are way too big. The eyes can't seem to decide on a focal point, lights, glass, or overturned HDBs?

endwork2.jpg

1.In what area is critique to be sought?

As a beginner, I would like to know critiques on how the whole picture presents.

2.What one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?

To capture a very ordinary night scenery in a creative way.

3.Under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)

A usual night view I'll get from my room's window.

4.What the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture

I like how the glass stands out in this picture.

Unique, but the glass seeem OoF and slightly distorted (Or isit just me?)~
If the glass was brighter and the aforementioned were corrected, I think it would make a pretty nice shot~ ;)

cool idea, the glass could be sharper/in focus more though, but yeah pretty unique way you have here :)

I think this is quite an interesting idea. Although I first notice the spots of light, once i noticed the building in the water, and it is upside down, i felt refreshed. The problem I feel is the glass was too near the edge of the frame to make an impact on me. This meant I have to search for the reflection. My eyes started from the center because that is where the light spot was and the lights are rather colourful.

I would say that the spots of lights stand out way more than the glass. The glass is pretty dark. The spots of lights are way too big. The eyes can't seem to decide on a focal point, lights, glass, or overturned HDBs?

Noted. So i'm lack with a main focus point? got it! :)

Unique, but the glass seeem OoF and slightly distorted (Or isit just me?)~
If the glass was brighter and the aforementioned were corrected, I think it would make a pretty nice shot~ ;)

I'll take note of it. Thanks :)

cool idea, the glass could be sharper/in focus more though, but yeah pretty unique way you have here :)

Thanks for your comments. Regarding on the focus part, is either I choose to get the buildings in focus or glass. If I want both in focus, I would have to use a larger aperture and the background would be visible. :)

I think this is quite an interesting idea. Although I first notice the spots of light, once i noticed the building in the water, and it is upside down, i felt refreshed. The problem I feel is the glass was too near the edge of the frame to make an impact on me. This meant I have to search for the reflection. My eyes started from the center because that is where the light spot was and the lights are rather colourful.

I think I had a habit to always place my object on the side of the frame. If I got the time, I shall try re-compose it. Exams are round the corner ^^.

Thanks for your comments and shall apply it the next time.

I think I had a habit to always place my object on the side of the frame. If I got the time, I shall try re-compose it. Exams are round the corner ^^.

Thanks for your comments and shall apply it the next time.

I see, just that i felt it might be a bit too close lah.

actually. if the glass is more of your subject, then you might want to consider having the glass occupy more of the frame. composition wise, you can dump the rule of thirds because your focus is now on the interesting-ness of the upside-down buildings in the wine glass.

you can also experiment with having a smaller aperture, but longer zoom. background blur is not only dependent on the aperture, but also on the focal length

pretty nice picture.. very creative.. :)

not a bad try. i notice u got sensor dust, u might want to send to your service center for cleaning. :)

innovative... keep shooting.

interesting...
wondering how the building is inverted considering the filled wine glass is a lens only in one plane.

I feel it will be a much stronger photo when subject is the glass onli.. With the buildings inside.. Just a my noobish comment.. No hard feelings.. :)

Thank you guys for all your advice, comments and feedbacks. They are all being deeply appreciated be it negative or positive. I sure did learned lots of things out of this critique thread.

Once again would like to thank you guys for taking out the time and effort to critique on my work. Thanks. :D

not a bad try. i notice u got sensor dust, u might want to send to your service center for cleaning. :)

wow you are right. Sharp eyes.

To the TS:
Prefer the glass to be more exposed. You may have to introduce some light onto the glass.