azul123

Dec 4, 2004
Eastern Bloc
Orchids.

DSC_6390.jpg

DSC_6372.jpg

DSC_6373.jpg

DSC_6374.jpg

the flash is hitting straight on and also being too harsh. Notice that make the flowers flat and formless. I can't figure out the lighting conditions, but looks like it's dark or something. I advise you shoot in the day and use either the flash as main (if daylight is diffused) or as fill with bounce card (if daylight is strong). In either case, shoot in the day!

foxtwo said:
the flash is hitting straight on and also being too harsh. Notice that make the flowers flat and formless. I can't figure out the lighting conditions, but looks like it's dark or something. I advise you shoot in the day and use either the flash as main (if daylight is diffused) or as fill with bounce card (if daylight is strong). In either case, shoot in the day!
You are right... I shot the flash straight on at night. What is meant by fill with bounce? have never had a good grasps on using flash.

../azul123

azul123 said:
You are right... I shot the flash straight on at night. What is meant by fill with bounce? have never had a good grasps on using flash.

../azul123

i'm no expert on flash usage either but i'll try a brief explaination. You have heard/seen a bounce-card? It's a white piece of card you stick to the side of the flash. Point the flash at an angle from your subject and the light should "bounce" itself off the card and onto your subject. The larger the card, the more diffused the light. Material also factors, reflective = more light reflected. You can even cover the card with crumpled aluminium foil for a bigger effect.

Fill light should be like 2/3 to 1 stop less than the main light. So meter as usual for the camera, then set the flash aperture output by -1 stop. Use this technique to fill in the shadows. But seriously, practise shooting in the day first. It's bound to be easier.

Oh, if the daylight is strong enough you can use the bounce card to reflect sunlight instead, does not have to be for flash you know.

I see, then I would need a two flash setup, hmmm.. been comtemplating getting an extra flash to fill the shadow. But never use flash often enough, current SB600 is hardly ever used.

Just wonder how would the images be if had a fill flash? anyway, thanks for the feedback, got to make a call on getting a fill flash when I hardly use my primary flash in the first place.

Maybe next time I probably get me a small flash light and shine on where I think the shadow would be, don't know if that would help reduce the shadow...

../azul123

Status
Not open for further replies.