Orchid

RayLa82

Feb 7, 2010
Singapore, Singapore, Singapor

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
Critique sought on the composition and setting used for this photo.

2.what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
This photo is to allow viewer to appreciate the beauty of the orchid.

3.under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
This photo was taken just after shower at botanical garden. Went there to try out my new lens (EF 50mm f/1.8 II).

4.what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
I personally like this picture alot because it shows the natural and beauty of the orchid.

5.post processing
Using ZooomBrowser EX to increase the contrast to darken the background to minimize the distraction of the background from the main subject.

Equipment and settings:
Canon 500D with EF 50mm f/1.8 II
Shooting mode: Aperture-Priority
Shutter Speed: 1/400
Aperture: 1.8
ISO: 400
Metering Mode: Evaluation Metering
Exposure Compensation: 0
White Balance: Daylight

Last edited:
nice flower, I hope the lighting can be improve.

If there are some natural lights available, try to divert them to the subject. Or you can use flash to enhance the lighting on the subject.

well done.
Billy.

photo under expose, need to watch out for histogram, shawdow/highlight; especially when you do the pp.

Too dark.

Can't tell what is supposed to be in focus cos nothing is sharp.

Awkward composition.

looks soft to me. yep composition is a little strange - the petals are facing down rather up.

I do not agree with this, I thought the composition is good.
Just a personal preference.

Billy

The bud (?) in the foreground doesn't work for me. :confused:

composition looks fine to me, but the photo looks underexposed. nothing seems to be in focus as well, if you can put the middle few petals in focus, i think it will look much better.

just my 2cents worth.

I do not agree with this, I thought the composition is good.
Just a personal preference.

Billy

:bsmilie: now you understand the meaning of "各花入各眼".

Hi all,

Thanks viewing and all your valuable comments. As I'm still a newbie so there is alot of things for me to learn from all the shifu here.

nice flower, I hope the lighting can be improve.

If there are some natural lights available, try to divert them to the subject. Or you can use flash to enhance the lighting on the subject.

well done.
Billy.

Hi Billy,

Thanks. I shoot this under a shelter so there is minimal light available. I'm afraid the flash will be to harsh towads the subject so I never use it. Will take note next time I shoot.

photo under expose, need to watch out for histogram, shawdow/highlight; especially when you do the pp.

Composition wise is fine..did u check ur histogram?

Hi Kutten & ovaltinemilo,

As I'm still a newbie. So I do not understand the histogram.

composition looks fine to me, but the photo looks underexposed. nothing seems to be in focus as well, if you can put the middle few petals in focus, i think it will look much better.

just my 2cents worth.

Hi JohnZee,

My focus point is on the flower above the bud. But it seems out of focus too. Don't know what went wrong.

looks soft to me. yep composition is a little strange - the petals are facing down rather up.

This is an orchid that's probably hung from a side of a tree or a hanging pot. The flowers are heavy thus they'll face down. Not unless he took the shot while he's hanging upside down.

Other than that, composition is great, just needs some more sharpness and exposure :)

RayLa82

Well, the background seems a little bit boring, but bottom line is the good exposure and composition. If you have a student friend, they can get the full package of Adobe for less than $100, this should give you more PP power as compare to Zoombrowser. A little bit of PP works should change the look of this Orchid flower.

img22141a.jpg

I am not sure whether you are using the single servo mode with single focus point; hard to focus when you have a shaky hands. Check your manual.

Last edited: