Orchard Christmas shooting

Status
Not open for further replies.

KerKerK

Nov 9, 2009
Hi, i am planing to go Orchard for some Christmas shooting during night time. Can someone teach me what setting is the best for the shooting? I am using a Nikon D90 with 18-105mm kit lens. Thank you very much.:)

Hi, i am planing to go Orchard for some Christmas shooting during night time. Can someone teach me what setting is the best for the shooting? I am using a Nikon D90 with 18-105mm kit lens. Thank you very much.:)

Settings are dependent on when/what you are shooting? If night time a tripod would be a good item to bring.

bring a tripod, find a spot, set up.
try ISO200, shutter speed 10-20secs, aperture above f9 use remote if have.
should be decent.

with digital, feel free to break all rules

try all different...

time exposures
white balance
use large instead of small apertures

break more rules... for some pics, dispense with tripod... 1-2 sec exposures handheld at christmas lightings while slightly moving your dslr up-down, andor, left right to create streaks

best is to go shoot and discover what are the best settings for urself :)

The settings as you can see from the replies here are all up to your individual taste.

More DOF or less, you decide. The shutter speed is then dependent on this choice and also the ISO you have decided to use.

Just remember some important details. Setting up a good steady tripod for usage is very important. There may be some vibrations from the traffic if you are near the road. And use a remote shutter release if possible to reduce camera movement when taking such long exposure pics.

there is no one setting fits all. so simply take the same picture but as many settings as you want.

da7e3a38.jpg

Here is one of my practice shots. :)

i don't believe in asking for what settings to use for a particular shot.
Once you know how ISO speed, Shutter Speed, Aperture, White Balance, etc affect the final picture, you can think on the spot and decide how to set it.

I emphasize the importance of:
1) Knowing the basics of photography
2) Knowing your camera well (operating all the functions quickly)
3) Practice, to build familiarity with your camera's "quirks"

Thank you everyone for your reply. Will give it a try this coming long weekend.
Happy holiday.;)

Hi TS, I also went to orchard to shoot as a newbie. Shot more than 300 in a night, tried out many different settings, then came home to view them on computer. Some were really bad, some looked good to me. That's only the start, I think there's more to be learned. :)

I might be shooting round orchard, clarke q this few days or weekend, though my theme will be some x'mas angel standing v still in the midst of the moving crowds :bsmilie: who happens to be round there wants to say hi or wants some crappy pointers may pm me.

next week... my turn to hit orchard for some christmas shootings.... now still stuck with exams... gawd...

with digital, feel free to break all rules

break more rules... for some pics, dispense with tripod... 1-2 sec exposures handheld at christmas lightings while slightly moving your dslr up-down, andor, left right to create streaks

:thumbsup:
TS: It's your photos man. Do whatever you want!

... or wants some crappy pointers may pm me.

:eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.