Oranges and water

Status
Not open for further replies.

darakusan

Oct 30, 2007
East
flickr.com
Saw quite alot of dunking photos and splashes lately. Always like such pics so decided to give it a try. What a way to clear the leftover oranges from CNY too. haha

First time trying so pardon some mistakes i have made =).
C&C are welcomed.

# trying out some cold tone.

#2 guess i still like the clean high key version

#3 a closer look of the dunking

#4 a composite

#5 last but nt least, my helper haha

Lesson learnt:
1) now i know why ppl put black cards/boards beside their cups, that would really help greatly in capturing the details of the splash which i failed...

2) my splash is not high.. as i don't want to mess up my desk. Next time want to splash, splash all the way, don't be a coward.

Nov 30, 2008
Singapore
#1 is nice, except for the white spot the right. I feel the background should be more constant. #2 is sharp, clean and simple, I like. #3 and #4 are very interesting close-ups! #5 is just too cute lah.

2) my splash is not high.. as i don't want to mess up my desk. Next time want to splash, splash all the way, don't be a coward.
Hahah, tell me about it. Had to spend some time in wiping up and drying my table after my own shoot. :bsmilie: But it was fun! You should try it eventually!

darakusan

Oct 30, 2007
East
flickr.com
#1 is nice, except for the white spot the right. I feel the background should be more constant. #2 is sharp, clean and simple, I like. #3 and #4 are very interesting close-ups! #5 is just too cute lah.

Hahah, tell me about it. Had to spend some time in wiping up and drying my table after my own shoot. :bsmilie: But it was fun! You should try it eventually!
Thank you for your comments. For #1 guess that i did not lite up the background properly hehe.

Yeah saw your thread... you are really garang in the splashing :bsmilie: Will try more when i got the time

Jul 14, 2007
Hey hey brader; welcome to the splashing world!
I'm still trying to figure out getting the backdrop clean w/o shadows, how arh?
I've been only limited myself to the kitchen sink hehe, I think i'm more coward haha...

Congrats for having clean shots there, #2 is superb, and yes #5 is my fav!

Jun 20, 2007
me too! i am figuring out how to create one without background shadows..

darakusan

Oct 30, 2007
East
flickr.com
Hey hey brader; welcome to the splashing world!
I'm still trying to figure out getting the backdrop clean w/o shadows, how arh?
I've been only limited myself to the kitchen sink hehe, I think i'm more coward haha...

Congrats for having clean shots there, #2 is superb, and yes #5 is my fav!
me too! i am figuring out how to create one without background shadows..

Thanks and glad that you like the pics!

hmmm i forgot to take a picture of the setup.. else i can share it here. Anyway my setup is very weird... not the common setup. My background is actually my projector screen, the base is a transparent acrylic with white paper below to create the reflection effect.

To make the background nice and clean you would have to use a flash/strong light to lite the background. There i am using 2 lights for these shots. 1 key light from front-left and another right side pointing towards the background. That would give you a pretty decent white background. With some tweaking in lightroom, it would look nice and white

Hope that helps! :)

Jun 20, 2007
thanks for sharing with us!

are u using lamps or flash for ur light? cos i guess i would need to use my camera like a GPMG, keep my finger on the trigger and let it shoot non stop, in order to capture the splash.. i do suppose a flash wun be strong enough for that multiple shots..

darakusan

Oct 30, 2007
East
flickr.com
thanks for sharing with us!

are u using lamps or flash for ur light? cos i guess i would need to use my camera like a GPMG, keep my finger on the trigger and let it shoot non stop, in order to capture the splash.. i do suppose a flash wun be strong enough for that multiple shots..
You are welcomed. I am using strobes, Jinbei 180W Delicacy (which i bought here from clubsnap hehe). Most affordable form of strobe studio lights for ppl with shallow pocket like me :sweat:

Actually i trigger the camera using remote, i set to manual focus and get it focus first and with f16 it is not too hard to get a reasonably sharp image. It is pretty easy to time the splash for orange as it is quite big, so i normally press only when the orange enter the water as there is a lag time for the splash to come up and go back down. No need to machine gun ur camera ;)

Jul 14, 2007
You're right about the machine gun snapping. No need actually, just to get the momentum right, and anticipate the fall / drop / moment when its in contact with water.

darakusan - so 2 flash / lamps for the backdrop PLUS in-flash unit to fire, issit?

darakusan

Oct 30, 2007
East
flickr.com
You're right about the machine gun snapping. No need actually, just to get the momentum right, and anticipate the fall / drop / moment when its in contact with water.

darakusan - so 2 flash / lamps for the backdrop PLUS in-flash unit to fire, issit?
I didn't use the popup flash, i am using sync cable to trigger the strobes. as the popup will create reflection on the glass which won't look too nice 2 flash is all your need ;)

Jul 14, 2007
I didn't use the popup flash, i am using sync cable to trigger the strobes. as the popup will create reflection on the glass which won't look too nice 2 flash is all your need ;)
Thank you!
Now my fingers are itching haha!

darakusan

Oct 30, 2007
East
flickr.com
Did a high contrast followed by color blending, kind of like how it turns out. Pretty clean and classy. Hope you all like it too.

Please pardon my "black" orange but i like how it bring the contrast out =)

#6 Splash (cyan - green)

#7 Splash (magenta - yellow)

Jan 10, 2009
Tin Hill
Interesting, thanks for sharing...maybe better cut than peeled orange because in some of the shots not easy to see that it is orange. And I feel that there is not enough contrast....

Jul 14, 2007
Hey whatelahhappened???
Looks like some giant rotting grubs you got there! Haha

darakusan

Oct 30, 2007
East
flickr.com
Interesting, thanks for sharing...maybe better cut than peeled orange because in some of the shots not easy to see that it is orange. And I feel that there is not enough contrast....
Points noted! Thanks!
Wanted to try slice orange.. but my glass is too small :sweat:

Hey whatelahhappened???
Looks like some giant rotting grubs you got there! Haha
Isit tat scary?:bigeyes:

my hands are itching le wahaha!
Time to do something about it ;)

Jun 20, 2007
i only got 2 study lamps.. now trying to figure out how to place it to reduce background shadows.. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom