Orange daisies (Macro)

ursuladeux

Jan 5, 2009
5863184437_df7c106cc6_z.jpg

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
Composition, focus (I focused on the centre of the flower below), exposure.

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
Just some pretty daisies to brighten up your day! :) Do you feel happy?

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
In a garden

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
I like the picture, but I think I could have focus on both flowers by setting a smaller aperture. I would also like to know how I can further improve on this picture with post-processing software.

Any comments/critique welcomed :)

Last edited:
Nice colours! Could be brighter though. And clearer.. Thanks for sharing! :) it did make me smile. :)

Like bonrya says, the colors can be abit brighter (exposure). Cos the feeling of happy is supposed to be "bright" (at least I think so).

There is also a point that I can't really pinpoint out clearly, but somehow the image is abit unbalanced to me...the spacing on the top is lesser than the bottom and there seems to be more space on the left than right. Maybe centralizing the photo may help.

Because for me, If I were to take a shot, with only subjects without fore and background, I will do it straight on, smack it in the middle. Not sure if it works for others, but it works for me.

bonrya said:
Nice colours! Could be brighter though. And clearer.. Thanks for sharing! :) it did make me smile. :)

Thanks :) hmm.. By the way, I noticed images tend to look sharper if I increase the contrast instead of using sharpening... Not sure why and what will I lose if I increase contrast?

SkyStrike said:
Like bonrya says, the colors can be abit brighter (exposure). Cos the feeling of happy is supposed to be "bright" (at least I think so).

There is also a point that I can't really pinpoint out clearly, but somehow the image is abit unbalanced to me...the spacing on the top is lesser than the bottom and there seems to be more space on the left than right. Maybe centralizing the photo may help.

Because for me, If I were to take a shot, with only subjects without fore and background, I will do it straight on, smack it in the middle. Not sure if it works for others, but it works for me.

True, My intention was to put it in the middle, but didn't do it properly when taking the shot. Thanks, I will crop it. Can ask u, if it was you, Would you focus on one flower or both flowers?

True, My intention was to put it in the middle, but didn't do it properly when taking the shot. Thanks, I will crop it. Can ask u, if it was you, Would you focus on one flower or both flowers?

It actually depends on your angle. If you were shooting at a lower angle, let's say 45 degree, you can choose to focus on the flower in front and "blur" out the one behind. But things to take note is the background. Because, for all you know, there may be distractions behind, like some steel poles, other plants of distracting colors etc.

I normally prefer to focus on one. But still, largely depends on the meaning of the shot. E.g. If you are trying to relay a "lover flowers" thought, focusing on one doesn't quite fit right?

But if it's for this particular frame, this composition, I will keep both in focus.

*I'm also still a newbie in training :)*

Oh btw those are gerberas I think. :sweatsm:

I have cropped the photo, increased the exposure and applied sharpening using canon DPP. Hope this one is better. :)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34452337@N02/5868408950/

Posting the edited image on behalf of TS

The photo lacks lights to me, a little fill might work and I guess you can fill the whole image with whole flower or focus one flower instead with the other bg flower.