Optio WP comments request

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluz

May 3, 2003
Singapore
homepage.mac.com
Appreciate (owners') comments and opinions on the WP. Am interested to get one to shoot waterplay and swimming activities.
Many thx.

bluz said:
Appreciate (owners') comments and opinions on the WP. Am interested to get one to shoot waterplay and swimming activities.
Many thx.

Got WR for rainy day shots of street life or treks into tropical forests.
For me personally, waterproof cameras in swimming pools is a NO NO. Don't even think of it.

Do not have WP. And no need for it.

Don't try shooting waterplay and swimming in public or even private swimming pools.
It is a matter of record that someone was sued in court for doing so.
A lady thought someone was outraging her modesty with an underwater camera in public pool.
It can be a civil suit taken up by her or a criminal proceeding, if she makes a police report.
Even if you are acquitted, the publicity is enough to damage your social life or career.

Well, if it is for shooting your own children on a swimming outing once in a while, it may be OK.

But you won't have a good reputation if you are always found snapping away underwater shots of other swimmers, especially ladies in a pool. It may not even be allowed.
People may think that a person who always does so is a psycho. (I think they are right)

Well , the real thing is in other forum. The pro underwater cameras and casings used by scuba divers and they go say, 50 meters deep in the open sea, to snap fishes, corals, underwater lifeforms.

i was thinking about getting a water proof case ($300+?) for my Ixus and then learnt out about the Optio WP which is about $450. So clearly the WP makes more sense (for me).
Now i read on the Pentax web that there is a new WPi which is 6 MP. However I will have to settle for the WP as i need it for a poolside party this weekend.
Will hope to share my views on this cam after using it. I'm sure some parents are thinking of this versatile cam. Apart from shooting my kid swimming, I can't wait to take this out during my next jetski vacation.

bluz said:
i was thinking about getting a water proof case ($300+?) for my Ixus and then learnt out about the Optio WP which is about $450. So clearly the WP makes more sense (for me).
Now i read on the Pentax web that there is a new WPi which is 6 MP. However I will have to settle for the WP as i need it for a poolside party this weekend.
Will hope to share my views on this cam after using it. I'm sure some parents are thinking of this versatile cam. Apart from shooting my kid swimming, I can't wait to take this out during my next jetski vacation.

Pentax Japan (http://www.pentax.co.jp) has got sample photos and a video clip of this camera's performance. For something this size, I think the photos are quite good. I've also got an impulse to buy something like this after I came back from Nepal. It's a real pity I don't have any decent photographs of my canyoning and white water rafting trips.

Before my next trip I'll probably get one of these, but I may slant towards the WR series instead of the WP series because the WR series takes AA batteries.

owned a optio WP(5megaPix) myself.

its a great camera for my paddling trips and to places that I might get thrown into the water.:thumbsup:

it comes 2" screen. good good...
the waterproof casing is good, I do keep a regular coating of the silicon gel for the O-ring for the camera.

Cons:
Pictures tend to have shallow depth of field :dunno:
Pentax local distributor service center is too far in the west(lakeside):sweat:

Thx for your comments Seawatermark.

I had loads of fun with the WP at a swimming pool party. The cam almost stole the "show" from the party entertainer. There was a perpetual line (of mostly kids) to borrow the cam and use it in the pool. The best thing was when i finally got it back it was smeared with food/sauce/ice cream etc--all i had ot do was run it under a tap with some soap (yes need soap).

In my opinion/impression i feel that the Ixus 50 (one of my other cam) shoots better pics--better AF, better color/contrast. But i'm not complaining. I would not hesitate to recommend this cam especially to parents who spend a lot of time with their kids in the pool/beach. Best $450 i ever spent on a cam!

Depth of field--usually like that for mini P & S.

how about the macro?

*i'm drooling

the marco distance is 1cm...
depth of field very shallow... still practising to get a sharp picture of the point I want...
keep getting out of focus shoots... its the person not the camera...

gernie said:
how about the macro?

*i'm drooling

my opinion: the macro is not bad. will see if i can motivate myself to do a (layman/non-scientific/flame-able) comparo with the ixus50 later...

By the way i found this to be an excellent camera for a young child to begin taking photos. Food and dirt resistance--can clean/wash! My 4 year old child has been shooting and having fun.

just curious.. it can do movie with sound... So the water won't 'enter' the camera ?? hmm

btw, malaysia selling at RM1.1k ( forgot to ask isit a package or not)

Status
Not open for further replies.