Optio e40

Status
Not open for further replies.

smtan24

Dec 21, 2005
Tampines
Anyone using the Optio e40? Just bought it recently.

Hi
Welcome to the rebellion, Pentaxian! While the Pentax P&S cameras are good (I've seen many bought by consumers in Harvey Norman, Best, etc), most people here tend to be focussed on DSLR, so you need to be a little more patient...
:)

There seem to be quite a lot of noise in the images even at low ISO.

Most model of P&S are usually noisy. Of course there are some which have got good noise control.

My L10 which I used for projects in sch are also noisy in low ISO when I upload into the PC and review. Well, I guess maybe because I am shooting in the low light condition such as chiller plant room and the building services area where only a few florescent light are bring used.

I guess we pay the $ for the compactness of the camera rather the other features such as IQ and noise control.

Just my little opinion :)

I agree with you on the price. But I don't expect to see noise at ISO below 200.

I agree with you on the price. But I don't expect to see noise at ISO below 200.

You should if you are taking in relatively low light such as in the evening.
All those megapixels into such a small CCD has to pay the price.
Most company manage this by processing the noise away.
If you process too much, no noise but the image quality becomes flat. If you process too little, image is good but noise higher. I think Pentax is one of those who prefer to leave the image intact and let you decide if you want to process the noise away (eg. using Neat). You see once the camera removes the noise and degrade the image, you cannot retrieve the original data. I know Panasonic is very aggressive with this...

That is why I advocate choosing the lowest MP camera that you can find that suits your needs. If you print up to A4, I don't see any need for more than 6MP. If you print the normal 3R or 4R sizes, 4MP will do actually....

You should if you are taking in relatively low light such as in the evening.
All those megapixels into such a small CCD has to pay the price.
Most company manage this by processing the noise away.
If you process too much, no noise but the image quality becomes flat. If you process too little, image is good but noise higher. I think Pentax is one of those who prefer to leave the image intact and let you decide if you want to process the noise away (eg. using Neat). You see once the camera removes the noise and degrade the image, you cannot retrieve the original data. I know Panasonic is very aggressive with this...

That is why I advocate choosing the lowest MP camera that you can find that suits your needs. If you print up to A4, I don't see any need for more than 6MP. If you print the normal 3R or 4R sizes, 4MP will do actually....

Gave neat a try. Have to say very good even for the demo.

Status
Not open for further replies.