.: Optimum temp and humidity? :.

Status
Not open for further replies.

geoffliang

Jun 13, 2004
East
hey guys, what is the optimum temp and humidity to store cameras?
i've a fm10 and a am-pro electric dry box.
and also, the fm10 comes in a leather casing. do i shove that in as well? will it like deteorate the leather?
thnx guys.

This is what I know and do for my dry cabinets:

Temperature: Room temperature (25-30 C)
Humidity: 40 to 50 %.

Itma is right. Room temp cannot control, but set the RH to 40% to 50%. Some argue that 40% or less is too low that will cause rubber to dry and crack. 50% is good enough. You'll have a mold garden if you leave leather in the a cupboard. I tried waxing it and zip-loking it up but does not work. I found out later that you need to air the leather twice a month if you store leather in a cupboard. You can try to oil your leather case then just store it normally and air it often. I'm not sure of the humidity level to store leather in - do a search lor!

thnx guys for the prompt replies.
so that means that i dun put the leather into my am-pro as well?

If the humidity for stroing leather is diff from photo equip, then it may be too dry for leather that will cause cracking in future, or too wet. In the meantime, just condition the case and store in cupboard. Important is to air it often. Watch out for green mold around the buttons!

righto. thnx guys!
so camera in dry box leather in cupboard; air every now and then. gotcha!

hey guys,

one more qtn. do i put in my digicam as well? i've got a A70.
and last nite i realised that i've set my humidity too low and it was at 30% for say a few hours. Won't affect that much right?

thnx!
geoff

geoffliang said:
hey guys,

one more qtn. do i put in my digicam as well? i've got a A70.
and last nite i realised that i've set my humidity too low and it was at 30% for say a few hours. Won't affect that much right?

thnx!
geoff

Throw the A70 in as well.. and no, a few hours won't see fungus growing out from your lenses :) Some people have gone YEARS without a dry cabinet and not have had a fungus problem. It boils down to how often you maintain and use your equipment, the more frequent, the less the chance. For example, after coming back from a shoot, don't just chuck the bag with the camera inside to one corner and leave it there for a few days etc

Status
Not open for further replies.