Optimal Settings For Fireworks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Klose

Feb 15, 2005
I know everyone who shoot's fireworks has their own preference, however I will be shooting my first fireworks on my slr tmr night and I need to double check whether my settings are 'correct' ;)

Fuji Superia 100, 50mm lens, 6 sec exposure @ f/8 :)

i guess its more or less there already,
like u said, everyone has their own preference...
i usually use abt f11 though. :)

~Arcanic~ said:
i guess its more or less there already,
like u said, everyone has their own preference...
i usually use abt f11 though. :)

thanks alot :) is 50mm not wide enough or it's alright

F11, buld mode, use cable release.

For fireworks I prefer a 28 - 105mm zoom len.

sometimes the sky will become very smoking after the first few fireworks so
try not to stand with the wind against you because of the smoke.

if u shoot only the fireworks, a bit boring...try a few framing with the buildings or trees or something...so 50mm might not be wide enough..

ISO 100, f/8, 3 secs, 17mm:

32048603.jpg

Cheers,
Nick

Looks like pearl harbor :D
Just kidding, great shot!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Klose said:
I know everyone who shoot's fireworks has their own preference, however I will be shooting my first fireworks on my slr tmr night and I need to double check whether my settings are 'correct' ;)

Fuji Superia 100, 50mm lens, 6 sec exposure @ f/8 :)
If camera setting is allowed, try go to smaller apreture ex. f/11 ..and use wide angle len 28mm to include backgroud feature much better.
By the way when is the fireworks tonight?

charnco8 said:
If camera setting is allowed, try go to smaller apreture ex. f/11 ..and use wide angle len 28mm to include backgroud feature much better.
By the way when is the fireworks tonight?

Think its 9.30 pm. But to get a good spot u gotta be there hours before to secure your spot.

9.30pm at esplanade

OOT: Saw the NEA weather forecast, next three hours will be shower every where. Before you go for the fireworks bring your weather protection system also, OK? Have a nice fireworks hunting!

Joko1974 said:
OOT: Saw the NEA weather forecast, next three hours will be shower every where. Before you go for the fireworks bring your weather protection system also, OK? Have a nice fireworks hunting!

For the past few days, weather so hot... :sweat:
Today suddenly.... :angry:

donchua said:
For the past few days, weather so hot... :sweat:
Today suddenly.... :angry:

This morning there was a blue sky. Now at 4pm, its getting very cloudy. Think it might even pour later tonight. Thunder storm may be on the way.

Joko1974 said:

If they're lucky, maybe can even shoot lighting. I'll be keeping a look out from my kitchen window. :bigeyes:

chercm said:
how to get the 3sec ?
3 sec is exposure time dude! hehe...

It will only work if your camera has some manual settings... Like Av or Tv or M modes... :)

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Nick

PS: Thanks for your kind comments guys!

Aperature controls the thickness of each trail and that probably also depends on how far away you stand away from the fireworks.. the closer you are, the smaller aperture you'd have to use.

The Shutter speed controls how much fireworks to capture. Generally you'd want to capture the whole sequence from ground to burst completion. Then make sure the shutter speed is long enough to capture the burst completion.

You might want to use the black card technique to fully control which bursts to capture..

Sent my negatives for developing and scanning just now...wil upload them tmr night for comments :D

willyfoo said:
Aperature controls the thickness of each trail and that probably also depends on how far away you stand away from the fireworks.. the closer you are, the smaller aperture you'd have to use.

The Shutter speed controls how much fireworks to capture. Generally you'd want to capture the whole sequence from ground to burst completion. Then make sure the shutter speed is long enough to capture the burst completion.

You might want to use the black card technique to fully control which bursts to capture..
Agreed....

Long time have not met u... since last yr fireworks.

willyfoo said:

may I know what's black card technique?
and its only work for fireworks shots?

thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.