Optimal lens set up w GX7

juzluvpink75

Dec 8, 2013
Singapore
I know there is no real "best" or "optimal" set up as it largely depends on one's needs. But still would like to gather some feedback to help my decision making.

I just bot a GX7 (w 20mm f1.7) recently. In addition, I also have the 14mm f2.5 and the 45-150mm tele-zoom lens.

When I first bot the GX7 I was quite fixated to sell away the 20mm f1.7. I had the 20mm MK1 version which I used on my old EPL5 for abt a year. I love the wide open aperture when I want to isolate my subject, but at the same time have always find that the focal length is too tight, hence I went out to purchase the 14mm which seemed to serve me fine so far.

So my golden question is should I:

(1) keep this original set up and live with no mid-range zoom;
(2) sell away the 20mm MK2 to fund a mid-range zoom lens like 14-45 or 14-42 MK2; OR
(3) sell away the 20mm MK2 AND 45-150mm and purchase the 14-140mm MK2 or Oly 14-150mm

Typically my use is on my kids, parties, gatherings and travel. Esp for travel, to minimise the need to swap lens is definitely a plus point but I don't normally have any need for tele-zoom lens.

For option 2 & 3, please also give me some recommendations which lens is better? I'm no PRO so pro lens are not required :)

TIA!

I know there is no real "best" or "optimal" set up as it largely depends on one's needs. But still would like to gather some feedback to help my decision making. I just bot a GX7 (w 20mm f1.7) recently. In addition, I also have the 14mm f2.5 and the 45-150mm tele-zoom lens. When I first bot the GX7 I was quite fixated to sell away the 20mm f1.7. I had the 20mm MK1 version which I used on my old EPL5 for abt a year. I love the wide open aperture when I want to isolate my subject, but at the same time have always find that the focal length is too tight, hence I went out to purchase the 14mm which seemed to serve me fine so far. So my golden question is should I: (1) keep this original set up and live with no mid-range zoom; (2) sell away the 20mm MK2 to fund a mid-range zoom lens like 14-45 or 14-42 MK2; OR (3) sell away the 20mm MK2 AND 45-150mm and purchase the 14-140mm MK2 or Oly 14-150mm Typically my use is on my kids, parties, gatherings and travel. Esp for travel, to minimise the need to swap lens is definitely a plus point but I don't normally have any need for tele-zoom lens. For option 2 & 3, please also give me some recommendations which lens is better? I'm no PRO so pro lens are not required :) TIA!

I'll go a (2.5)

Sell away the 45-150mm and get a once and for all 14-140 or 14-150. U mentioned u don't like to change lenses so convenience is impt for u, u also like the performance of the 20/1.7.
If u prefer a mid range zoom, get the 14-45mm, , not the 14-42IIR.

So u will end up with a 14/2.5 , 20/1.7 and a 14-140 or 14-150. More the enough

For days when u wana travel light : 14/2.5.

For trips ; 14-140/150 and a 20/1.7 for the duper low light situations. Keep the 14/2.5 at home.

I'm not recommending other lenses since u've already stated u r looking at these choices

If 20mm is too tight for you, I don't know what is wide anymore. Haha.

Then again, it's your preference.

But if I were you, if I were to consider a one-lens setup, I will actually sell all and get the 25mm summilux, or the cheaper olympus f/1.8 variant. 50mm equivalent ftw.

IMHO your current lenses are enough and you probably almost always never use the 45-150 mm lens and if so, no point getting any focal length beyond 45 mm. Hence no need to consider the 14-1xx lens. Since u have a great duo, the 14&20mm that covers a lot of your shooting conditions.

As for selling the 20 mm for a slower 14-42/45, I feel is a backward move. You will need a bright lens like a f1.7 or brighter to achieve faster shutter speed in dimmer / indoors condition especially with kids running around. Those lenses are much slower.

IMHO your current lenses are enough and you probably almost always never use the 45-150 mm lens and if so, no point getting any focal length beyond 45 mm. Hence no need to consider the 14-1xx lens. Since u have a great duo, the 14&20mm that covers a lot of your shooting conditions.

As for selling the 20 mm for a slower 14-42/45, I feel is a backward move. You will need a bright lens like a f1.7 or brighter to achieve faster shutter speed in dimmer / indoors condition especially with kids running around. Those lenses are much slower.

You are quite right that the 45-150 is mostly unused. Since May last year I have only used it 3 times. And I do fancy prime over zoom though I do wish for flexibility in times of limited roaming space. ;p

If 20mm is too tight for you, I don't know what is wide anymore. Haha.

Then again, it's your preference.

But if I were you, if I were to consider a one-lens setup, I will actually sell all and get the 25mm summilux, or the cheaper olympus f/1.8 variant. 50mm equivalent ftw.

The 20mm works fine with my kids but not so when travelling as most of the time I am unable to frame in the building or group pic without standing too far away.

I'll go a (2.5)

Sell away the 45-150mm and get a once and for all 14-140 or 14-150. U mentioned u don't like to change lenses so convenience is impt for u, u also like the performance of the 20/1.7.
If u prefer a mid range zoom, get the 14-45mm, , not the 14-42IIR.

So u will end up with a 14/2.5 , 20/1.7 and a 14-140 or 14-150. More the enough

For days when u wana travel light : 14/2.5.

For trips ; 14-140/150 and a 20/1.7 for the duper low light situations. Keep the 14/2.5 at home.

I'm not recommending other lenses since u've already stated u r looking at these choices

Thanks. Your recommendation does makes alot of sense.