Optical Principle of Macro mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

lastboltnut

Mar 23, 2006
Where the wind blows...
can someone please enlighten me the optical principle of macro mode? In SLR....why do we need to push that button to engage macro mode?

Thanks.

lastboltnut said:
can someone please enlighten me the optical principle of macro mode? In SLR....why do we need to push that button to engage macro mode?

Thanks.

i dun think u need to press any button for macro in SLR... if a lens is macro, the focusing can go beyond the standard focusing range, up to 1:1 or perhaps more, norm, 1:1 1:2 1:4 but there is a switch, that prevents the lens from going beyond the standard focusing range.

if u talk about prosumer/consumer camera with the button, it might be same as SLR, its just a switch that lets the focusing go beyond.

Yah, it's the switch I am talking about. So, what does the switch do? Or its just there to prevent blur user from going into macro mode without knowing?

Thanks.

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
i dun think u need to press any button for macro in SLR... if a lens is macro, the focusing can go beyond the standard focusing range, up to 1:1 or perhaps more, norm, 1:1 1:2 1:4 but there is a switch, that prevents the lens from going beyond the standard focusing range.

if u talk about prosumer/consumer camera with the button, it might be same as SLR, its just a switch that lets the focusing go beyond.

Ok, so I think it's just a limit switch for the photographer to do a deliberate switch...thanks.

dr34mc4st3r said:
i think the switch limits the focusing distance for close up subjects

the macro mode is there in entry level DSLR to allow for slightly closer subject to lens distance for shooting with non-macro lens. But it isnt that great. ;p Extension tube, reverse 50mm beats this hands down.

I think those are taking advantage of the crop factor, and is close up and not macro....just like the S3 IS with crop factor of 6 can do "Super Macro" at 0cm, it is actually not macro, but just close up....can I say this?

tltan said:
the macro mode is there in entry level DSLR to allow for slightly closer subject to lens distance for shooting with non-macro lens. But it isnt that great. ;p Extension tube, reverse 50mm beats this hands down.

Status
Not open for further replies.