optical and digital zoom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Linus

Jan 31, 2002
Visit site
I know how each work...but can someone tell me what is the significant difference in picture quality taken with each type of zoom

i think optical zoom is much better rite?

Hi Linus,

Welcome to Clubsnap!

This issue has been handled before on other threads, although possibly not under the specific heading.

An optical zoom is one which is accomplished using optical means, as the name implies. That is, the zoom is accomplished using the glass elements within the lens. Lens design is advanced in this day and age and designing good lenses is getting easier and easier, so yes, this is the preferred method of the two.

Digital zoom is a marketing gimmick, and is nothing more than "zooming in" to the picture like a magnifying glass, and cropping out the other areas. This can be accomplished better in photo editing applications like Photoshop, using the crop tool, and then resizing. You are essentially cropping the 2.1 megapixels to the middle 0.5 megapixels approximately with a 2x digital zoom for example. I think I've got those numbers right anyway...

Originally posted by Jed
Hi Linus,

Welcome to Clubsnap!

This issue has been handled before on other threads, although possibly not under the specific heading.

An optical zoom is one which is accomplished using optical means, as the name implies. That is, the zoom is accomplished using the glass elements within the lens. Lens design is advanced in this day and age and designing good lenses is getting easier and easier, so yes, this is the preferred method of the two.

Digital zoom is a marketing gimmick, and is nothing more than "zooming in" to the picture like a magnifying glass, and cropping out the other areas. This can be accomplished better in photo editing applications like Photoshop, using the crop tool, and then resizing. You are essentially cropping the 2.1 megapixels to the middle 0.5 megapixels approximately with a 2x digital zoom for example. I think I've got those numbers right anyway...

thank you for your help. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.