Opteka 500mm Mirror

EF50mm

Sep 1, 2009
I have read a lot about mirror lens and understand the advantages and disadvantages. Just thinking of buying one to play with. Anyone tried this?

I found one on eBay.sg. The price seems reasonable: 500mm Mirror Lens f/8 T-mount Canon EF | eBay

Thanks!

Circular bokeh, low contrast, mf only (only the sony/Minolta mirror lens has af) and not too good sharpness. Up to you lor

You might want try Tamron's mirror lens.

The Opteka 500mm mirror lens was a rebranded Samyang mirror lens. I have the f6.3 version of it. It had donut bokeh... which kind of make the overall blur a bit messy... depend on individual, some people like it, some hated it to core.

Did a very amateur review on this lens once.

Rhino123 Photography: A quick review of a poor man 500mm lens... the Opteka 500mm f6.3 mirror lens

It is the f6.3 version of the lens, and I believe it should be quite alike in term of sharpness and contrast.

Very good review, rhino123.
I also have a copy of opteka 500mm f/8.0. Very happy with the image, given the low price. Good for those who want to learn more about photography...

Thanks guys. I think this lens is meant for fun.

Just place an order @ $169.99 and hopefully it will arrive soon. I will post the results when I have tried it out.

EF50mm said:
Thanks guys. I think this lens is meant for fun.

Just place an order @ $169.99 and hopefully it will arrive soon. I will post the results when I have tried it out.

What not go the extra mile and get the 800mm?

Agree...if is for birding you need all the focal length you can dig...but the advantage of 500mm is the slightly faster aperture (if you order the one with f6.3). Do share with us the IQ.

I saw on ebay someone selling Canon's 800mm f3.8 mirror lens! But is more than 10k with the mount missing though.

Lens arrived yesterday- only 2 days after placing the order! Super fast shipment.
Build quality is not bad at all, considering it is only $170. Will definitely share some images when I have the opportunity to shot outdoor.
Thanks for all the comments!

Lens arrived yesterday- only 2 days after placing the order! Super fast shipment.
Build quality is not bad at all, considering it is only $170. Will definitely share some images when I have the opportunity to shot outdoor.
Thanks for all the comments!

Congrats! Yes, would love to see the IQ...

Thanks all.
Managed to try out the mirror lens over the weekend and it is something different and absolutely FUN! Require quite a bit of patience for the autofocus though.
Highly recommended to anyone who like to try something different.
There's a few pictures to share:

7716208536_3a5a8ba798_c.jpg

1.) Picture taken using my Canon EF 50mm f1.8 on EOS 550D

7716203088_48f3348142_c.jpg

2.) Picture taken using Opteka 500mm f8.0 on EOS 550D

7716203680_d1ba04997b_c.jpg

3.) Picture to show the characteristic donut shape bokeh

Thanks for sharing! The results are not too bad at all. Much better than I thought.

Thanks. Encouraging. May just try the 800mm :)

wow nice Photo, Now I'm thinking to buy 800mm lens too

index.jpg

This lens look value for the price, anyone own an used one and want to sell let me know haha, I want to try it too

This lens look value for the price, anyone own an used one and want to sell let me know haha, I want to try it too

Try not to dig thread and if u looking for 2nd hand. You can proceed to the Buy and sell forum. :)