Opss!! Accidentally touch the lens!

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

chewy

Accidentally touch the lens of my DC Panasonic Lumix LC20.
Now my Leicas lens is abit smudge with a fingerprint.

How to clean it?? can clean it with a piece of tissue?? or a soft cloth??

Help!!

Take soft focus portraits lor...

Seriously, get a good microfibre cloth (you can get from optician shop or camera shop). Gently breathe on the lens, and before the condensation evaporates, quickly wipe lightly with a circular motion, with as little pressure as possible. Repeat as often as necessary.

Did I get that right, Ian?

:D !!Thanks for the advice!

Originally posted by StreetShooter
Take soft focus portraits lor...

Seriously, get a good microfibre cloth (you can get from optician shop or camera shop). Gently breathe on the lens, and before the condensation evaporates, quickly wipe lightly with a circular motion, with as little pressure as possible. Repeat as often as necessary.

Did I get that right, Ian?

Almost. Before huffing and wiping, blow with a blower ( or blow very hard on it with your lung power, but don't get saliva on it ). Dust with a soft brush, then huff on lens and wipe in circular motion from center OUT towards the perimeter of the lens.

Easy.

Is it really safe to blow on the lens with microbe-tinged water vapor regularly? I'm a bit apprehensive, so so far I've been cleaning my lenses and filters with the cloth opticians give us to clean specs with. I guess I should invest in those bulb-type blowers instead, right?

Originally posted by Sausage
Is it really safe to blow on the lens with microbe-tinged water vapor regularly? I'm a bit apprehensive, so so far I've been cleaning my lenses and filters with the cloth opticians give us to clean specs with. I guess I should invest in those bulb-type blowers instead, right?

Everytime you clean the lens, you're actually rubbing away the expensive lens coating. :devil:

Exactly. Actually I'm only rubbing the UV filter, but I'm wondering what's the safest way to do it. Obviously, it would be best if nothing even touches the lens.

Dumb qn but what happens when the coating of the lens gets rubbed off?
Can the lens be used/salvaged/repaired?

hmm...i am still curious..so cleaning the lens each time is actually removing the top surface?
Then what happpens after the top surface is removed?

Degrading happens, the quality degrades, that's why I put a UV filter over the lens, so that I only have to clean the UV filter and not the lens itself other then the wondrous time my lady fren went to imprint her index fingerprint on my lens.

Originally posted by shuy
just got a kinetronics cloth from CP at $7, the $3 one NS... darn.

Shuy, you mean MScolour right??

Originally posted by espn
Degrading happens, the quality degrades, that's why I put a UV filter over the lens, so that I only have to clean the UV filter and not the lens itself other then the wondrous time my lady fren went to imprint her index fingerprint on my lens.

How about protecting tele and wideangle lenses? These are big and I haven't seen any UV filters that can fit over them.

Originally posted by sohzai
hmm...i am still curious..so cleaning the lens each time is actually removing the top surface?
Then what happpens after the top surface is removed?

Then your lens becomes an uncoated lens.
It becomes more prone to flare and reflections, reducing contrast and possibly color saturation.

In other words, don't wipe the lens too often. Wipe it once, put a high quality filter on it, and never touch it again.

Yes, after you rub away the coating: the next is rubbing away the glass and you can change the shape of the front element, thereby changing the focal length of the lens!!!

Hong Sien

Originally posted by chriszzz
Then your lens becomes an uncoated lens.
It becomes more prone to flare and reflections, reducing contrast and possibly color saturation.

In other words, don't wipe the lens too often. Wipe it once, put a high quality filter on it, and never touch it again.

My Dc cheap Low end Panasonic Lumix Lc20. Cannot fix a filter onto it.

Lumix using Leica lens and heart pain if can't keep the lens in tip top condition.

Status
Not open for further replies.