[Opinions] Singapore's Temasek loses $39 billion in 8 months

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reportage

Nov 24, 2008
SINGAPORE: Singapore state investment company Temasek lost about $39 billion, or 31 percent of its holdings, in eight months last year as big bets in the financial sector went sour.

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2009/02/10/business/AS-Singapore-Temasek.php

:eek:

*Could be one of the reasons why need to dip into Reserves. To lose $39 Billions!!!!! and all that has happened we know of is the Temasek CEO steps down. wah like that anyone can lose billions or even trillions and all that happens is they give up the CEO position. power sia.

at least not as bad as the forecasted possible $200 Billions loss of GIC. http://nationmultimedia.com/2009/02/09/headlines/headlines_30095260.php

Last edited:
wonder where all that money come from...:dunno:

I thought the 930 news said it was 58 billion.

SINGAPORE: Singapore state investment company Temasek lost about $39 billion, or 31 percent of its holdings, in eight months last year as big bets in the financial sector went sour.

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2009/02/10/business/AS-Singapore-Temasek.php

:eek:

*Could be one of the reasons why need to dip into Reserves. To lose $39 Billions!!!!! and all that has happened we know of is the Temasek CEO steps down. wah like that anyone can lose billions or even trillions and all that happens is they give up the CEO position. power sia.

at least not as bad as the forecasted possible $200 Billions loss of GIC. http://nationmultimedia.com/2009/02/09/headlines/headlines_30095260.php

for me a 16yr old child with simple politics and inside-info

singapore temasek holdings

65% on US
10% on China/other small parts
25% on sg this 25% also is considered emergency money

now that sg has lost most of #1 &#2
you know why singapores in recession right now ^^

for me a 16yr old child with simple politics and inside-info

singapore temasek holdings

65% on US
10% on China/other small parts
25% on sg this 25% also is considered emergency money

now that sg has lost most of #1 
you know why singapores in recession right now ^^

very very extremely simple minded indeed.

I always told my friends that during the good years like the past 2-3 years, cost fund manager with funds on China and India can make money for you. Right now is the reverse. But investment is a forward looking activity, cannot judge after things happened.

wonder where all that money come from...:dunno:

Our CPF lah bro.......... u think they keep our CPF money doing nothing meh? They using our tax payer money lah.....hoping to grow loh. Like the bank lah, they will redeposit or even invest it out. Otherwise, how they make money leh....

thats a lot of dough.

now that the chef calls it quits, i just hope the new tire can steer the ship back.

strange is, why are all the good leaders quitting on this tired world? big banks top guns, great leaders, etc, all are dumping the their jobs for quick retirement.

if only there is a savior to reverse direction the world economy is heading into. thats all we need. we dont need no phd, harvard or anything. just a few creative individuals to make this world spin again.

In case some members here do not know how much is 60 billion ....

$60,000,000,000

In effect, if there are 3,000,000 Singaporeans, we have each contributed only about $20,000 .....

or only 15,000,000 5D MKII :bsmilie::sweatsm:

But guys, don't worry too much, we still have enough reserves to suffer another 2 such "one-in-a lifetime" badluck :dunno: .... cannot be soooooo badluck 3 times, right?:think:

Last edited:
In case some members here do not know how much is 60 million ....

$60,000,000,000

In effect, if there are 3,000,000 Singaporeans, we have each contributed only about $20,000 .....

or only 15,000,000 5D MKII :bsmilie::sweatsm:

But guys, don't worry too much, we still have enough reserves to suffer another 2 such "one-in-a lifetime" badluck :dunno: .... cannot be soooooo badluck 3 times, right?:think:

woot, thats a lot of cameras. i believe you meant b and not m as above.

was told spore is aiming at revovery by 2010. if not, even a macdonals auntie may have trouble keeping her job in the wake of cost trimming.

i would think that we all learn to see the big picture

i believe that all investors were burnt by this crisis
there is nothing that we can say to improve the situation
they only need to concentrate on the recovery or how to make the best of the upturn when it arrives

so to prevent this thread to degenerate to something else
i will close the thread

read the news for updates and official statements

Status
Not open for further replies.