Opinions required: D70 vs E-300

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evilmerlin

Jul 26, 2002
Woodlands
Hey guys, was at SITEX and am currently at a dilemma. Which system should i get? The D70 or the E-300

D70
Advantages
-Proven system, hell thousands of people can't be wrong
-Its a Nikon....Nikon can do no wrong...I think :p
-Large number of different lenses

Disadvantages
-Cost
-No anti-dust system?
-Made in thailand(QC issues?)

E-300
Advantages
-Cost, for the price I pay at Sitex, can get another zoom lens
-Anti-dust system
- Made in japan

Disadvantages
-Unproven system, its so damn new

The E-300 is purely targetted at the prosumer. While the D70 is targetted at the pros but comes with a close to prosumer price tag. The thing that is really swinging me over to the E-300 is the cost and the anti-dust system(I've read that its quite a problem for DSLR users....) and the thing swinging me right back to Nikon is the proven reliability of the D70(albeit at a steeper price, S$300 more....)

So, give me some advice guys! Could really use some of them! If its of any use, I was a previous user of the CP5700(before it got stolen while on holiday..... :cry: )

wat is an anti dust system??

d70 has got this thing called a dust reference photo...

Witness said:
wat is an anti dust system??

d70 has got this thing called a dust reference photo...

its olympus's system of using ultrasonic waves to shake whatever particles or dirt off the CCD of the camera.

Evilmerlin said:
Hey guys, was at SITEX and am currently at a dilemma. Which system should i get? The D70 or the E-300

D70
Advantages
-Proven system, hell thousands of people can't be wrong
-Its a Nikon....Nikon can do no wrong...I think :p
-Large number of different lenses

Disadvantages
-Cost
-No anti-dust system?
-Made in thailand(QC issues?)

E-300
Advantages
-Cost, for the price I pay at Sitex, can get another zoom lens
-Anti-dust system
- Made in japan

Disadvantages
-Unproven system, its so damn new

The E-300 is purely targetted at the prosumer. While the D70 is targetted at the pros but comes with a close to prosumer price tag. The thing that is really swinging me over to the E-300 is the cost and the anti-dust system(I've read that its quite a problem for DSLR users....) and the thing swinging me right back to Nikon is the proven reliability of the D70(albeit at a steeper price, S$300 more....)

So, give me some advice guys! Could really use some of them! If its of any use, I was a previous user of the CP5700(before it got stolen while on holiday..... :cry: )

some more comparisons;

D70: 6mp
<1 sec startup

E-300: 8mp
2 sec startup (to allow for dust cleaning)

just a question on that E-300's supersonic wave filter...
where does the dust/particles go to after the cleaning?

still in the camera i guess. pls note that olympus dslr images are 4/3 and not 3/2.

Drudkh said:
still in the camera i guess. pls note that olympus dslr images are 4/3 and not 3/2.

That isn't a big problem isn't it?

The only buy point of the E300 is just the supersonic dust filter.. but I feel that it isn't a VERY BIG issue. Small specks of dust don't appear very obvious in picture. Bigger specks of dust do not appear unless you shoot at realatively plain backgrounds like the sky and they turn out at slightly darker patches.

If you're really paranoid about dust, there's always a BIG BLOWER you can use everyweek. Eventually there'll come a point of time where you'll still need to clean your E300 CCD manually. I prefer good start up times to anti dust.

I do not own any DSLRs yet (intending to do so soon).

Furthermore, the E300 system may not fetch a good resale price later on. Does Olympus produce VR or IS (image stabliser) lenses?
nikon does :lovegrin:

Evilmerlin said:

The D70 is hardly a pro camera but I think perhaps what you mean is that the D70 'looks' more like it's higher end brethrens, and on that count, you have a very good point. It's a very attractive looking SLR camera.

The E-300 deal for Sitex is really good what with the two 1 gig cards, but given the reasons you gave, it really sounds like the D70 is the camera for you. Go for it, you can't go wrong. :) I think for you, you'd probably have more peace of mind buying a D70. :thumbsup:

BTW, about your made in Thailand QC doubts...... it's been v. good so far.

D70 also comes with 2 (better) CF cards: Sandisk Ultra2 and Extreme

Would have got it at Sitex if I do not already have a DSLR.

Pentax *ist DS. Same sensor as D70. But MUCH cheaper. With the money you save you could buy a killer lens.

elo....

ok.. just wanted to add me 2 cents worth here la horr...

the d70, so far, heng heng, though made in the land of elephants, seems pretty much ok...

And, well, you should also consider the optics u want before you buy the body.

With the D70, you get one big fat choice of lenses, flashes, etc etc, as i'm sure most nikon ppl here will testify.

For pro use as u said, well.. ok la... not too bad la.. i personally carry one with me to back up my system when ever i go work. :)

Now for the olypus, erm... I'm an OM4ti, OM1 user, and have always loved the Zuiko line up of lenses (sharper than any nikon,canon, lense i feel). Only freaking trouble is, it's #$%^&*( hard to get them in singapore... so hopefully, olympus had better do something about its marketting if they want the e300 to fly. I personally own the E1, and well, am still waiting for the price of the lenses to drop. sigh....

But the olympus here at sitex is indeed attractive. I just want to see when and what accesorries are going to be released..

good luck in your choice making.

Drudkh said:

If it's still in the camera then what's the point huh? After a while the dust still get attracted to the sensor's static charges right?

It will be collected in a dust chamber. :)

Olympus E-300
- magnesium alloy body
- smaller in size with picco mirror reflection
- 8 M
- clears dust

I think dust is unavoidable and many times it's removable in PS and is hardly a SCREAM and SHRIEK issue.

When you compare, it's not about megapixels, it should be the entire system, the body is actually the last thing you'll worry and pay a lot or, it's the entire system that costs more, you won't find yourself changing lenses in a hurry, but probably digital bodies.

Against the two, my choice would be obvious... not hardcore, but you know :)

Thank you all for the very helpful advice hat you have given me. I've just placed a pre-order for the E-300. Ultimately, the sheer value for money of the E-300 won me over.

My thanks again!

Evilmerlin said:
Thank you all for the bery helpful advice hat you have given me. I've just placed a pre-order for the E-300. Ultimately, the sheer value for money of the E-300 won me over.

My thanks again!

Actually, if you find that you are going to be dwelling into this hobby any further, that small price you saved for the E-300 is peanuts compared to the lenses etc...... :)

Well, I'm still a new user when it comes to DSLRs so I'll probably be sticking to the kit lens for quite a while still. Maybe the buying will come later :D

Evilmerlin said:
Well, I'm still a new user when it comes to DSLRs so I'll probably be sticking to the kit lens for quite a while still. Maybe the buying will come later :D

It is easy to say that now. Wait till you start playing with it. ;p

Status
Not open for further replies.