Opinions requested about DSLR & PS

Status
Not open for further replies.

twahidin

Jan 17, 2004
Hi,
I know that this has been the most common question asked around here. But since everyone's situation is unique.. so here it is..

I am deliberating between buying a new D70 or just keeping with my Canon S45. Cause I am going to Canada in a month's time, as such places that I will go is Canadian Rockies and an Alaska cruise. So I know that the place I go will definitely be a photo paradise. So should I get a new D70 to take some of the best shots or is it possible to stick with the Canon S45 and take good shots.

For all your info, I am not an avid photographer, afraid that buying the DSLR will become a white elephant for most time, but well, event the S45 is sitting in the dry cabinet. I have no time to use it... sigh but on the other hand...
would love to have a good equipment to capture good shots. Would buy a zoom though if I plan to go DSLR.

He

JT

I think most prosumer cameras that allow you to do manual adjustment to the exposure will do. No need to go for DSLR.

In a month's time?

I think better stick with your s45 and shoot more with it to know what you and the camera can capture before your trip. Yes S45 is able to get 'good' shots. I'm not sure is how 'good' are you to get the shots you WANT/LIKE.

Alternatively buy postcards of the places you visit.

The learning curve for a DSLR can be steep and might take a while before you can take reasonably good pictures. In the meantime, due to the nature of P&S cameras you'd probably get better looking shots off your P&S than with the D70, which could require lots of post-processing to look good to the casual user. If you don't plan to take up photography seriously (as well as invest $ into good glass), I can tell you that you'd be better off with a prosumer camera that optimizes images to give you great shots off the camera with little or no post processing.

Good as the D70 is, its not for everyone :sweatsm:

Yah ok.. sounds like everyone is saying keep the P&S , I think so too. I have been pretty happy with the shots from it. But I might want to upgrade it , any suggestions ?

I was quite impressed with my friend's Canon G5, pretty nice looking pictures. You might also wanna consider the new Powershot Pro 1, if you can bear with the cost :)

Hmmm... not really sure you need to upgrade to another P&S or any other camera for now. That S45 produces very good pictures - 4 megapixels is plenty. Don't think the Canon Pro 1 is worth the upgrade cost.

Where do you want to go today? Sounds familiar?

Snow crash is bang on target. If you want good pictures of landscapes / sunsets, get a postcard :)

Your D70's and S45's (with 1 month of effort) will not be able to match quality work done by post card / calendar professionals. Enjoy your trip and record images in your memory. Photography is extremely tiring and you will end up more tired than before your vacation and you will have bad (bland scenics) pictures to show off for it.

Take whatever camera you have and shoot pictures for the fun of it. You will have a mamorable trip that way . Just my 2C.

Stay with your S45, it is capable of producing calender/ poster/ NG quality standard in the right hands.

Jusr remember to bring a good tripod, (windy there) and loads of batteries.

The scenery you will see there will be mind boggling. Remember to catch the morning and evening light. If you are lucky, maybe even the borealis at night. Bring a tripod and shoot wide.

If you will be visiting the national parks, a SLR with long lens will be good for wildlife. Canada is a good place to shoot bears.

Well, I will be visiting the glaciers and national park, probably need a wide angle camera.. Yes lots of waterfalls and mountains... hmm of course the occasional wildlife, the last time I went there, I saw a grizzly. I was using an old x700 minolta SLR with 70-210 lens. And I stood less than 10 meters away from the bear ( Which you should never do ). And to top it off, I will be going to the a Bed and breakfast with an attached observatory, which I wil do imaging in the night.

Sorry, but forget to mention that I use to have an SLR for a while and took rolls and rolls of pictures.. ( I had an X700 -> Nikon F60 -> S45 ) So I wanted to get a light DSLR to play around with , plus my buddies have loads of Nikon films and I do video editing for a hobby. So to take pics with SLR is not an issue. So there. enough said.

Is there a wide angle lens with VR ( say 28-200 ) ??? Sorry have lost touch with Nikon lenses.

There are a few VRs - 24-120VR, 70-200VR, 80-400VR, 200-400VR. :)

Haha,
I guess the next question is how much would it cost for the most wide angle VR lens. Do nikon make one that is less than 20 mm just for the DSLR.

If wide angle no need VR leh.

twahidin said:
Haha,
I guess the next question is how much would it cost for the most wide angle VR lens. Do nikon make one that is less than 20 mm just for the DSLR.

Dennis said:
If wide angle no need VR leh.

Following the rule of 1/[FOCAL Length] assuming a 18-35, the max you ever need to hand held is 1/35, why'd you need VR for? :dunno:

Ok..

The reason is I like to take shots without flash at night... so I need to get the highest iso ( without noise ) and slowest shutter speed without inducing shake..

So hence the VR, unless someone can come up with a good lens configuration which is not astronomical in price, Non- Nikon lens is acceptable too.

twahidin said:
Ok..

The reason is I like to take shots without flash at night... so I need to get the highest iso ( without noise ) and slowest shutter speed without inducing shake..

50mm/f1.4
50mm/f1.8
28mm/f1.4

Status
Not open for further replies.