opinions on quality weddings

Status
Not open for further replies.

agentmonkey

Jul 10, 2004
www.flickr.com
was reading the singaporebrides forum.. just wondering...whenever a couple complains about maybe bad/mediocre results of the PG or VG...have the couples considered that it could also be due to the fact that their wedding itself is a drab?

i mean, a good PG/VG can only do so much within his ability to make something look nice, but if everyone in the wedding is dull, or the surroundings aren't very pleasing...what can they do? they can't make magic, as much as they would like to promise clients...

i've encountered people asking to make their weddings appear funny like their so and so.....how siol? if they themselves are unfunny people, how do you make it funny?

are these really overly demanding client or are there PGs / VGs who can really make things happen?

from what i've seen so far, all the nicer looking weddings in terms of video and stills belong to couples who put in a lot of effort to make their special day really special other than "just another wedding"...and generally they appear to be a little more well off

Last edited:
Yes, have certainly done some weddings that are drab. Due to non-expressivelyness of the couple (some don't even wanna smile for ya), sabotage session does not have much stuff (I feel sorry for the VG doing express even more LOL!), even tea ceremony only consist of say parents + 2 uncles/aunties.

I have done an African + non-local wedding, wa lao eh the drums....tokong. Just 80 pax, held in a non-luxurious setting, no problemo.... lots of shots. They put in a lot of effort, and most certainly a lot of expressions + "warmth".

If really nothing to return to the couple, and you feel that you are indeed "overcharging", and if you feel that the couple is ngeow type, then give a bit of discount lor.

was reading the singaporebrides forum.. just wondering...whenever a couple complains about maybe bad/mediocre results of the PG or VG...have the couples considered that it could also be due to the fact that their wedding itself is a drab?

i mean, a good PG/VG can only do so much within his ability to make something look nice, but if everyone in the wedding is dull, or the surroundings aren't very pleasing...what can they do? they can't make magic, as much as they would like to promise clients...

i've encountered people asking to make their weddings appear funny like their so and so.....how siol? if they themselves are unfunny people, how do you make it funny?

are these really overly demanding client or are there PGs / VGs who can really make things happen?

from what i've seen so far, all the nicer looking weddings in terms of video and stills belong to couples who put in a lot of effort to make their special day really special other than "just another wedding"...and generally they appear to be a little more well off

If couple can think like that.

maybe should explicitly tell couples that their wedding videos/photos can only be as good/interesting as their weddings...

2100...wow man..would love to have been there to experience that! was reading in the papers some time back about a bride who decided to have her wedding on a floating platform in bedok reservoir..that would definitely have been an interesting shoot....

reason i brought this up is that i saw alot of very vindictive and malicious postings on singaporebrides

i encountered one guy who who didn't seem very happy throughout the entire wedding, refused to smile and maciam don't even want to get married...in the end he asked me why the video so sian? sian cos he himself is sian la..

i'm in no way related to this person, but it's a bit of free publicity for her... look at these videos..these couples bothered to actually plan to make their wedding memorable! rather then the usual gate crash, sabo, tea ceremony and what not...true most of the clients featured there aren't chinese..but still...

http://meoworks.com.sg/blog/?page_id=13

rather then the usual gate crash, sabo, tea ceremony and what not...true most of the clients featured there aren't chinese..but still...

http://meoworks.com.sg/blog/?page_id=13

Well in my experience its only partially true that weddings with non-local/Chinese type of couples are "happening". There are some foreign-SG couples that I have taken which were also not too happening, as in "dao type". So I guess anything goes....

Last edited:
Did the couples blame the photographer for the bad quality pics, as in composition, color, final effects, etc, or that they didn't look like Hollywood celebrities? If it is the former, then they might have a case in point.

Just as a bad carpenter blames his tools, a wedding photographer should not use reasons like the surroundings are not grand, the wedding process is too simple, how can the pictures be good? A good photographer never blames the situation; he makes the best of it.

But if the couple blames the photographer for not making them look like celebrities, then of course, the couple is being unreasonable.

hey Priscilia, i totally agree with you...

but i guess what i'm going at now is that sometimes, there's only so much a photographer/ videographer can do...he can try to capture the best composition possible with spot on exposure and all that..but if there's no spirit in the wedding couple or guests...if the wedding itself is lack lustre..then it shows too and there's nothing anyone can do

yes, so maybe what the couples are complaining about is really the bad quality pics itself, rather than they not looking good?

Just OT a bit... I've attended quite a few of my close friends' weddings. And I feel Aiyoh, they were such a big headache sometimes -- All the running around, boring tea ceremonies consisting of dozens of uncles and aunts, seemingly endless and should I mention, ridiculous, demeaning gatecrash methods.... So simplicity does have its merits to me.

The morale of it all is, couples should have realistic expectations and photographers should not be quick to blame on simple weddings per se for not having good shots.

and photographers should not be quick to blame on simple weddings per se for not having good shots.

Of course its not that the simple/small weddings won't get enough or good shots. Usually if the couples + parents/relatives enjoy themselves the expressions more than make up for it. But in cases whereby even the guests just wave goodbye and don't even bother to shake hands at the end, there really is nothing to do but to take wideangle shots and a couple of closeup pix of the bride/parents.

I'd even say that some guys are even experienced enough to know and ascertain fast during the meetup that certain couples cannot sign up with them, else there will be many problems later on. It is quite rare but some clients really ask for perfection. And some videographers have proved that to me on more than one occassion when I gave them referrals (hope you get the drift LOL!). This is one of the more serious issues that I am starting to be firmer on nowadays.

Story : Do you know a couple actually asked me how come I was missing the shot of them kissing at the ROM solemnisation? "You may kiss the bride now". Joke of the year : The video was also missing the kissing scene, coz there wasn't any in the first place! LOL! Some JPs don't even tell the couple to kiss nowadays, not sure if you come across that. :)

I just hope there is a day whereby couples realise that quality <> quantity. And people asking me how come I don't burst my camera. Ever now and then you will see a guy whipping out his camera going clak clak clak clak....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.