Opinions on Canon 300D Pls help!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

anirtac

Feb 24, 2005
Hey ppl, I'm in a delima where I'm trying to decide between buying two cameras, Canon 300D and Canon G6.

I know that one is an SLR and the other is just a prosumer.... but how is 300D as a SLR camera? is it as good as the others like 10D, 20D?

I'm just beginning to learn how to control apeture, and shutter speed... so am not sure which to get...

P.S. how much does one 300D (complete set) with batt, lense, etc would cost? I see prices quoted "for body only" or "kit"

What other accessories are a must have for beginners?

PLEASE HELP!!!!

wait a while and buy the 350D than the 300D, its a much better buy, read all abt the 350D in the canon forums.

i personally dislike the 300D cause canon lock/block certain features found on 10D.

Belle&Sebastain said:
wait a while and buy the 350D than the 300D, its a much better buy, read all abt the 350D in the canon forums.

i personally dislike the 300D cause canon lock/block certain features found on 10D.
Canon did lock/block/remove some features on the 10D/20D, compared to the 1Dmk2.
Why so biased?

You might want to wait 0.5 mth or so for the 350d to arrive in singapore, which is the succesor to the 300d.
Second hand 300d prices will drop once the 350d comes.

The G series is a very competent camera already. It has a fixed lens that is rather good and fast ( f2.0 at wide). So the most u will probably buy is the wide angle and a teleconvertors and a external flash.
Will not set u back by more than $1500 for everything first hand. Its smaller and lighter than a dslr, can take movies, composition of picture on the screen etc.

However, there are reason why people use slr. Faster AF than compacts, better exposure system , changable lens, better image quality, lower noise, etc than a G6.
SLr is a bottomless pit, u keep getting lens and accessories to complement ur camera.
The kit lens refers to the basic lens tat comes with the camera body you buy. In the case of the 300d, its the 17-55mm f/3.5-4.5 lens which is a decent lens at most.
The second hand price of a 300d is about $1000-$1200 now with a kit lens.

300d is a strip down version of 10d. It like a baby 10d with some function disabled ( some which u can enable by using a hacked firmware...)
It takes good pictures ( which in the case of slr, is more dependent on the lens use...)

Anyway, wait a while. 300d second hand price will only go south.

anirtac - first of all, welcome to CS!
welcome.gif

300D is an excellent buy for a beginner starting out with SLR/DSLR. do remember its wat i would call a 'starter' DSLR. it has enuf features and functions for beginners or general hobbist. however, u cannot and must not compare with the higher (and costlier) models like 10D, 20D etc...

more imptly, wat will u WANT to shoot most of the time. not HOPE to shoot most of the time. wat u want will determine wat u buy. a G6 prosumer will suffice most, if not all, general shooting needs. u dun have to worry abt buying more lenses, flashes etc... etc... which u need to consider when buying DSLRs. of course, G6 does not give u the flexibility of a DSLR. so, think abt wat u want to shoot most of the time and dat will give u a better idea wat to buy.

as of now, getting a 2nd-hand, good condition 300D is not a problem on CS. dun wish to speculate too much on the 350D. who knows? mebbe it will become another 20D fiasco (mulitple firmware upgrades within the 1st 2 wks of launch). the 300D is a mature tech - ie, the problems have been sorted out. u have less of a headache. also, the price of a 2nd-hand 300D is very afforable, thus u have a bit more to get a good lens to go with the cam. IMO, the kit lens, while good for starting out with, pales in comparison to some of the consumer-grade lenses from canon.

other stuff u will need in time to come will be a flash, 1-2 extra batts, 1 camera bag and a tripod.

AReality said:
Canon did lock/block/remove some features on the 10D/20D, compared to the 1Dmk2.
Why so biased?

Some of the features blocked out are really quite essential...like flash compensation, AI servo mode in sports mode only. SO its good they let it back in the 350d...or else i will really get the D70 instead.
Now waiting for a decent review on it before getting it. Have a feeling they are using a cheaper process to manufacture the sensor, else why the sensor not the same one as the 20d's?

AReality said:
Why so biased?
Well its priced very low so they disable some features. But u can use the hacked software to enable some features found in 10D.

anirtac, If u are just beginning to step into this hobby & do not have tat much cash, get a 300D. Just get one in the Bull & Sell section. 2nd hand costs abt $1000+ only. New ones I think abt $1500+ (not sure).
Of cos 300D not as good as 10D/20D its a lower end DSLR but sure better than G6.
The new 350D is estimated to be abt $2000 (not sure).

gryphon said:
Well its priced very low so they disable some features. But u can use the hacked software to enable some features found in 10D.

anirtac, If u are just beginning to step into this hobby & do not have tat much cash, get a 300D. Just get one in the Bull & Sell section. 2nd hand costs abt $1000+ only. New ones I think abt $1500+ (not sure).
Of cos 300D not as good as 10D/20D its a lower end DSLR but sure better than G6.
The new 350D is estimated to be abt $2000 (not sure).

Thanx for all your input.... well as you can see I'm still very very green when it comes to photography... not sure how deep I'm gona venture. reason why I'm leaning towards 300D instead of G6 is that the price diff is nt much but getting a SLR instead of prosumer.

however is there any websites/ppl who can teach slow learners like me on proper uses of an digiSLR?

anirtac said:
Thanx for all your input.... well as you can see I'm still very very green when it comes to photography... not sure how deep I'm gona venture. reason why I'm leaning towards 300D instead of G6 is that the price diff is nt much but getting a SLR instead of prosumer.

however is there any websites/ppl who can teach slow learners like me on proper uses of an digiSLR?

well, u can try reading up with books like "Learning to see creatively" and "Understanding Exposure" - both by bryan peterson. the books are available at riceball books. can see their posts in consumer sub-thread. the shop is at adelphi. excellent reference materials for beginners and pros alike. of course, there are hundreds of books out there. just ask zhong ling of riceball books to recommend u 1 or 2 books to start off. :thumbsup:

online - u can read up at http://www.luminous-landscape.com i found michael reichman's articles very useful.

the best is to go and shoot, and shoot, and shoot. digital is 'cheap' in the sense u dun have to pay for processing, and u are able to see whether u got it right or wrong on the spot. ;)

Wow this is one of the fastest reply forums I've been to.... hehehe so fun.... well Adam, thanx for the Invitation... but i think I'll wait till i get my camera first... like that easier to understand what ppl are talking about.

how often are these photoshoots/chitchat sessions? how many ppl norm turn up? usual location?

nightwolf, the bookshop u mention is at adelphi orchard? is it a rental?

By the way Cannon 300D is a DSLR right? not a Consumer cam right?
:)

And is there a "Buy & Sell" section here?

P.S. when is the comex fair?

anirtac said:
Wow this is one of the fastest reply forums I've been to.... hehehe so fun.... well Adam, thanx for the Invitation... but i think I'll wait till i get my camera first... like that easier to understand what ppl are talking about.

how often are these photoshoots/chitchat sessions? how many ppl norm turn up? usual location?

nightwolf, the bookshop u mention is at adelphi orchard? is it a rental?

The bookshop at Adelphi, hmm i dont think they rent...

But the 1st book of Photography is one which Most people neglect.

That is the CAMERA's MANUAL
To Know your Camera inside and out, to understand the dials and controls, to understand the flashing symbols and icons.
To know how to care for your camera and lens.

That to me is the most impt starting point of photography.
I have seen a lot of "professional 300D or D70" photogs who dont know how to set sRGB or Adobe RGB, or how to turn on this function or disable AF-assist..or..whatever.

If you cant understand ur equipment, you wont be able to bring out the best of it.

Meanwhile, have a wonderful experience with your new "toy" and spend the 1st 48 hrs, examining it and reading your "1st camera book" page by page.
There are lots of information hidden inside waiting to be revealed to you.

anirtac said:
By the way Cannon 300D is a DSLR right? not a Consumer cam right?
:)

And is there a "Buy & Sell" section here?

P.S. when is the comex fair?

IMHO: never buy a camera from a computer fair
Cos they cost way cheaper else where. :bsmilie:

(BTW computer fairs in Singapore is predictable. its EVERY QUARTER)
MARCH, JUNE, SEPT, DEC
(one of the 4 shows will be on, cant recall which comes 1st...
COMEX, PC SHOW, IT SHOW, SITEX)

Popular camera shops include, Alan photo in SLS, Cathay Photo in Peninsular, MS Color in AMK...and the list goes on...

anirtac - hahaha... as long as u are not out to start any flame wars or mud-slinging matches, by and large CSers are a pretty helpful lot of people! ;)

no. riceball books (runned by zhong ling and wife. very very helpful folks!) sells photography books. they are, i think, the only shop in singapore dedicated to selling photography related books. check it out!

and, yes, 300D is a DSLR. and yes, winston is rite abt buying cams from a fair. and, yes, the most neglected book on photography is the manual! :bsmilie:

Hey thanx guys, I'll probably wait till 350D emerges then buy either the 300D or 350D...

350D seems better but not sure yet... will join in for outings once I bought my cam. so keep me posted?

thanx again!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.