Opinions needed: power points location for new studio

sevenfightclub

Aug 13, 2006
I am setting up a new studio in a new building. White walls, concrete grey floor, black out curtains for the windows when needed.

They have asked me about where I want my power points. Here is the layout. I have marked in Xs where I definitely want them to be, but I am just wondering whether the left side needs power points too or will it ruin the shot, esp for video shoots WS. The areas for shoots will most likely be the first left two thirds.

Can anyone please suggest where else I can place power points?

$IMG_7059.jpg

Where you put back drop and where you put lights? Where you put computer and where you put kettle?

Where you put back drop and where you put lights? Where you put computer and where you put kettle?

Computer is near pillar.

First two thirds is main usage area - areas featured:

- the bigger window areas
- corner where the window is.
- the entire blank long wall next to door.
- Bottom left hand corner of the pic.
- Backdrop will be moved around, but mainly will be at the left wall and long wall next to door.

just install as many power points as you can afford to have.
so you don't have to pull extension cords here and there later on, and you don't have to worry about having problem changing the layout your studio and workspace in future.

Last edited:
just install as many power points as you can afford to have.
so you don't have to pull extension cords here and there later on, and you don't have to worry about having problem changing the layout your studio and workspace in future.

Won't having power points at the background in a moving shot be distracting though?

Won't having power points at the background in a moving shot be distracting though?
use some common sense lar. where got people install a power point right in the middle of background, unless you have way to conceal it.

how are you gonne set up your lights usually? you want your lights to be flexible to move around and yet won't trip over the cables lying around.

Last edited:
use some common sense lar. where got people install a power point right in the middle of background, unless you have way to conceal it.

how are you gonne set up your lights usually? you want your lights to be flexible to move around and yet won't trip over the cables lying around.

Not talking about middle of the background of course lah, but even at the corner, it can be somewhat eyecatching, even though it's white socket on white wall.

if you plan to use four sides of the studio walls as background, than install ceiling track system for your lighting, so you don't have to worry about power outlets.

if you plan to use four sides of the studio walls as background, than install ceiling track system for your lighting, so you don't have to worry about power outlets.

Using main three sides of wall, mainly the left part of the pic. Will look into ceiling track, thanks!

Marked red the places I will place the socket. The only one I am uncertain of is the one with the question mark.

$FullSizeRender(5).jpg

Last edited:
Just install, it is better to have more than to pull extension cords. Do take note of the power consumption per socket, have more if unsure.
For half portraits, the sockets won't be visible. For full size portraits you will use a backdrop to cover the edge / line between wall and floor.
The moment you use backdrops (and most people will do this in a studio, instead of shooting against white walls), the backdrop will cover the sockets.

Last edited:
Just install, it is better to have more than to pull extension cords. Do take note of the power consumption per socket, have more if unsure.
For half portraits, the sockets won't be visible. For full size portraits you will use a backdrop to cover the edge / line between wall and floor.
The moment you use backdrops (and most people will do this in a studio, instead of shooting against white walls), the backdrop will cover the sockets.

That's your answer. Power points on all the wall and have backdrops to conceal them where needed. Minimum of 2x2 for each wall. More better than less

you should have power outlets not more that 3m apart, because the power cords of most electrical appliances is only 1.5m.
most of the power cords of studio lighting is 2 to 3m. if the power points too far apart, you will need to pull extension cords here and there, it will create more issues if you or someone trap over the cables.