Opinions needed for K-R + lens budget 1.6k

fastfrag

Oct 1, 2007
I have owned a canon 400D, with 50mm f1.8, 17-70 sigma f2.8-4.5, 70-300mm IS USM with 580ex flash before then went on to Canon G11 as i wanted portability and then Sony NEX 3 as the G11 could get me the results i wanted compared to the 400D... but even with the Nex3, results are not as satisfactory compared to the 400D, hence i decided im moving back into the DSLR category and im pleased that the K-R fits the bill in terms of budget, features and abilities. I dun really need a mid range dslr as i believe even an entry level camera can take great pics as well, its the photographer that takes the pics not the camera.

Now the question is assuming that i dun wanna go for colour kits, what are the recommendations?
- I wanna be able to take portraits like the 50mm f1.8,
- I would definitely need zoom lens as i do animal photography which requires me to snap them from far most of the time
- wide lens for landscapes as I have a thing for IR photography and for travel
- i need a camera bag + tripod as well for night shots
- needs to include UV filters, polarizer, (IR filter if possible otherwise in the near future, ND filter, sunset filter and morning filters)
- basic cleaning kit

think main focus is what lens to get and how to stay within my budget... advice is very much appreciated!!! thanks

I think with your budget you can get a twin kit lens (18-55 with 50-20) and still able to squeeze in a FA50mm 1.4

can check the price guide for the latest up to date price

anyway welcome to the club.

I suggest you hold on to your NEX3 until you can make up your mind on what you really want. The K-r setup will be very close to your 400D. Will you sell it for portability again? Maybe you need both the portable NEX3 and a DSLR?

I think with your budget you can get a twin kit lens (18-55 with 50-20) and still able to squeeze in a FA50mm 1.4

can check the price guide for the latest up to date price

anyway welcome to the club.

was thinking 55-300 any diff between the two zoom lenz?

I suggest you hold on to your NEX3 until you can make up your mind on what you really want. The K-r setup will be very close to your 400D. Will you sell it for portability again? Maybe you need both the portable NEX3 and a DSLR?

Im pretty sure i wanna stay with DSLR this time... in terms of portability the Nex isn't that portable as well... jus slightly smaller, eventually i still have to carry a camera bag... if i need portability i will get a LX5 or S95 in future.

hw about pentax Q??! the lens for it is quite cheap!!!smaller than nex 3

i don't think 1.6 is enough to include all the accessories like bag, tripod and filters.

yeah i know...
i was quite 1070 by orient photo for white k-r with 18-55 and 55-300
as for the accessories, bag, tripod and filter is a must...
for the prime lens... 500 over bucks is kinda over my budget... how about the 35mm f2.4??? is that gd for portraits?

hw about pentax Q??! the lens for it is quite cheap!!!smaller than nex 3

thanks man... but i don't wanna risk getting another 4/3 lol

yeah i know...
for the prime lens... 500 over bucks is kinda over my budget... how about the 35mm f2.4??? is that gd for portraits?

there was a test shoot / mini review done on this lens some time back. its a good lens. but f2.4 is not f1.4 so u have to be ok with it and know the trade-offs.

imo, bag, can be cheap. tripod, u would probably want to get a decent one with a good ball-head (dun waste time with cheap free gift tripod) and filters, obviously, better to get good ones like Hoya.

good luck in your search :)

yeah i know...

bro, since u know what you wanted (50mm 1.4) why not get the twin lens first with your accessories and then next month top up to get the lens you want. if not you be yearning for a 50mm 1.4 again.

anyway pentax fa 50mm 1.4 is quite a good lens so should be a marked up performance above your 50mm 1.8 experience.

Thought, personally, i think pentax user must experience the usage of their limited lens and pancake lens, but we can save that story for another day.

bro, since u know what you wanted (50mm 1.4) why not get the twin lens first with your accessories and then next month top up to get the lens you want. if not you be yearning for a 50mm 1.4 again.

anyway pentax fa 50mm 1.4 is quite a good lens so should be a marked up performance above your 50mm 1.8 experience.

Thought, personally, i think pentax user must experience the usage of their limited lens and pancake lens, but we can save that story for another day.
understand where your coming from...
Im wondering if i should get the 18-55 or some other lens ... thinking of wider lens... though the stock lens might do the trick...
think if i end up with just the dual kit, i might jus invest in a dry cabinet and accessories... and of course a gd tripod

understand where your coming from...
Im wondering if i should get the 18-55 or some other lens ... thinking of wider lens... though the stock lens might do the trick...
think if i end up with just the dual kit, i might jus invest in a dry cabinet and accessories... and of course a gd tripod

Use the K-r with the kit lens first. It is a good lens too. Save your money and if you really need a wider lens, you can save up for a DA*16-50mm F2.8 or the 3rd party ones like Tamron 17-50mm F2.8 or the Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 or Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4.0 (older version is F2.8-4.5).

The DA* will set you back by about $1.3K but the Tamron and Sigma will cost about half the price.

I have owned a canon 400D, with 50mm f1.8, 17-70 sigma f2.8-4.5, 70-300mm IS USM with 580ex flash before then went on to Canon G11 as i wanted portability and then Sony NEX 3 as the G11 could get me the results i wanted compared to the 400D... but even with the Nex3, results are not as satisfactory compared to the 400D, hence i decided im moving back into the DSLR category and im pleased that the K-R fits the bill in terms of budget, features and abilities. I dun really need a mid range dslr as i believe even an entry level camera can take great pics as well, its the photographer that takes the pics not the camera.

Now the question is assuming that i dun wanna go for colour kits, what are the recommendations?
- I wanna be able to take portraits like the 50mm f1.8,
- I would definitely need zoom lens as i do animal photography which requires me to snap them from far most of the time
- wide lens for landscapes as I have a thing for IR photography and for travel
- i need a camera bag + tripod as well for night shots
- needs to include UV filters, polarizer, (IR filter if possible otherwise in the near future, ND filter, sunset filter and morning filters)
- basic cleaning kit

think main focus is what lens to get and how to stay within my budget... advice is very much appreciated!!! thanks

Sorry, what is your budget???

Anyways, I would choose:

FA 50mm F/1.4 ($500ish) or Samyang/Rokinon 85mm f/1.4 ($400ish brand new from US with shipping)
Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6 (what I use, should be $700ish if I'm not wrong)
And you can get the 50-200mm or 55-300mm... Alternatively Tamron or Sigma 70-300 are quite cheap..

It's on the title, 1.6K

Ah, thanks..

K-r body second hand = $600
Samyang 85mm F/1.4 = $400
Sigma 10-20 mm = $700ish

Already bust budget... If you stick with K-r kit and dump the 10-20mm, maybe got hope... Filters are not cheap also, ND filters are about $120-$130 a pop, so you probably have to use Tian Ya GND ($10-20 a piece), which is fine... I used it for 3-4 years before moving on to Hi-tech recently ($39 a piece for P series size)...

Tripod, something that will be nice to use should set you back at least $190 (Sirui).

Use the K-r with the kit lens first. It is a good lens too. Save your money and if you really need a wider lens, you can save up for a DA*16-50mm F2.8 or the 3rd party ones like Tamron 17-50mm F2.8 or the Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 or Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4.0 (older version is F2.8-4.5).

The DA* will set you back by about $1.3K but the Tamron and Sigma will cost about half the price.

your quite right as well...
Thanks for the advice~

Ah, thanks..

K-r body second hand = $600
Samyang 85mm F/1.4 = $400
Sigma 10-20 mm = $700ish

Already bust budget... If you stick with K-r kit and dump the 10-20mm, maybe got hope... Filters are not cheap also, ND filters are about $120-$130 a pop, so you probably have to use Tian Ya GND ($10-20 a piece), which is fine... I used it for 3-4 years before moving on to Hi-tech recently ($39 a piece for P series size)...

Tripod, something that will be nice to use should set you back at least $190 (Sirui).

i think i would be going for the white k-r kit with 55-300mm and play around for the time being, i have used tianya filters before and they seem to do the trick as well...
hm.. tripods is the tricky part i guess... seriously if not for night photography i dun really like tripods lol

If you can live with manual lens

wide / tele - kit
portrait - 50mm f/2 m (less than $100) from ebay
second hand k-r body