Opinion: Sony 18-105 f4 pz or Zeiss 16-70 f4 which one to choose

jon14

Jul 14, 2014
yishun
Hi all, its been a while since posted here. I'm just thinking if you can give your opinion on my lens selection as above. I recently changed system from nikon to sony. I have sony a6500 and now thinking buying an all around lens. Below are my main points:
1. Lens sharpness
2. Better quality images
3. Mainly for photos & a bit of videos

I plan to buy second hand used one so the price is about the same around $600+.

Please advise which lens should i get. Thank you in advance..
*Mod pls move the post if wrong section.

Overall the reviews are positive for 18-105 f4. An all rounder lens but although it's big it's focusing is internal, that is the lens barrel does not extend which means it's relatively dust free compared to zeiss 16-70 f4. Because since the barrel does not extend it is easier to use on a gimbal without rebalancing each time you change focal length for video. When the two lenses are compared side by side not every Zeiss performs as it's reputation should. So for price performance ratio 18-105 f4 is the lens to go for especially the zeiss has more purple fringing than 18-105 plus it out perform the zeiss at 50 -70mm or the portrait focal length. It's surprising nonetheless! So your choice is obvious.

Here is one video pro telling his lens selection using A6500. 18-105 at 2:59.

Here is the lens comparison side by side.

Overall the reviews are positive for 18-105 f4. An all rounder lens but although it's big it's focusing is internal, that is the lens barrel does not extend which means it's relatively dust free compared to zeiss 16-70 f4. Because since the barrel does not extend it is easier to use on a gimbal without rebalancing each time you change focal length for video. When the two lenses are compared side by side not every Zeiss performs as it's reputation should. So for price performance ratio 18-105 f4 is the lens to go for especially the zeiss has more purple fringing than 18-105 plus it out perform the zeiss at 50 -70mm or the portrait focal length. It's surprising nonetheless! So your choice is obvious.

Here is one video pro telling his lens selection using A6500. 18-105 at 2:59.

Here is the lens comparison side by side.

Hi @one eye jack ,thanks for the advise. Will consider this. It is very helpfull. Im just concern on the weight of 18-105 f4 coz its on heavier side.

I strongly recommend saving to get sony 16-55 F2.8, since you're using a stabilised camera. I'm using this len and when I shared, friends often commented that the photos taken are nice and like it.

I strongly recommend saving to get sony 16-55 F2.8, since you're using a stabilised camera. I'm using this len and when I shared, friends often commented that the photos taken are nice and like it.

Harluu, Sony 16-55 f2.8 is out of his budget even if it is useď one if you have followed the 1st. post. His budget is $600+ used. Probably got his lens already.

Hi All, Thanks for all your inputs and recommendations.. I got my lens already and I choose the 18-105 F4 due to longer range. The power zoom also is very useful on videos. I got it brand new from TK Foto about $600+ only. I tested it few times & I'm happy with it then kept in dry box since then. haha no time to shoot..
By the way, I also purchased the Sigma 30 F1.4 which a very good portrait lens. Now I'm very happy & satisfied with my setup.. Thank you!