opinion needed on getting a digital video cam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kho King

Jan 20, 2002
shashinki.com
My gf plans to buy this Sony video cam for her company (her boss asked her to decide), so the decision goes to me. I am not sure if this model is good...do you have any opinion? If money is not a problem (S$3k max... ;)), which other model will you recommend? The job is mainly for recording some works (machine assembly, building...etc. in the company. I heard Sharp has zoom microphone, is it really good that I should go for sharp for the zoom mic?

How about Canon model?

Thanks.

Originally posted by Kho King
My gf plans to buy this Sony video cam for her company (her boss asked her to decide), so the decision goes to me. I am not sure if this model is good...do you have any opinion? If money is not a problem (S$3k max... ;)), which other model will you recommend? The job is mainly for recording some works (machine assembly, building...etc. in the company. I heard Sharp has zoom microphone, is it really good that I should go for sharp for the zoom mic?

How about Canon model?

Thanks.

For Sony, go for PC-9E - $2199.

Panasonic has a model with zoom mic - NV-GS3EN. Has a coloured(!) night shot function as well. S$1699. My parents had this one on pre-order. There are higher end ones with the Leica Dicomar lens at higher cost, with SD card, etc.

All prices are SRP.

Regards
CK

Hi CK,
My initial decision is on the Sony DCR TRV340. I don't like the PC-9E because it is too small...and not enough digital zoom. Morever, the mini-DV tape is quite expensive too...and I prefer the hi-8 tape. Btw, is 150x digital zoom enough? Is 500x or above really necessary? Will picture blur at 500x even with super steady shot feature?

What's coloured(!) night shot function? I thought all model can capture colour at night too?

I will check out the Panasonic model...thanks.

Hi CK,
My initial decision is on the Sony DCR TRV340. I don't like the PC-9E because it is too small...and not enough digital zoom. Morever, the mini-DV tape is quite expensive too...and I prefer the hi-8 tape. Btw, is 150x digital zoom enough? Is 500x or above really necessary? Will picture blur at 500x even with super steady shot feature?

What's coloured(!) night shot function? I thought all model can capture colour at night too?

If I have $3K budget, I would go for the Sony TRV50. Why worry about MiniDV tape being expansive since it is company property. Spend around $2500 on the DVC and $500 enough to buy you MiniDV tapes for 2 years!

Current DVC can only record in green or gray i.e. in monotone at night vision. The newer breed claim to be able to record in colour without a lot of light at night. Like the model CK mentioned and Sony TRV50 etc.

Hi,

Hi CK,

Like digital cameras, forget about digital zoom, they generally suck. The Panasonic one I mentioned has 500x digital zoom though.

MiniDV tapes cost about $8 or less, not too bad. Unless you are planning on storing all your videos on MiniDV. TRV-340 is the one which captures DV-format onto Hi8? I guess it's not too bad, just a bit more bulky.

Coloured nightshot - you know, in Sony and other video cams with night shot function, it's usually greenish monochrome? The colour night shot function allows you to use the night shot function and get coloured video!

Regards
CK

Status
Not open for further replies.