Operating up to -40 degrees C

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lady Ice

Dec 7, 2006
Planet Earth
www.tyregirl.com
After searching for a camera that operates below 30 degrees C (with the help of FWW).....seen a set of lithium batteries that say they can operate up to -40 degrees C and can work in digital cameras.....

Does anyone know if this will work? Or will the moving parts of the camera have problems anyway?

I dun think you'd want to use a digital camera at -40°C... :sweat:

Mebbe a fully manual film camera may survive... :sweat:

Don't think you would want to do your shooting at -40°C:confused: Brrr......

I've tried to shoot at -25°C before & I can only stand it for about 1 min before I have to seek the warmer indoors.

I think -40degC is way below the temperature range of most digital cams, the batteries may work but nothing much else may function..

However, came across this picture of a Weddell Seal taken in the Antarctic with a fully manual Bessa-R rangefinder (http://www.cameraquest.com/voigrf.htm).. Cold enuff for you?

I think -40degC is way below the temperature range of most digital cams, the batteries may work but nothing much else may function..

However, came across this picture of a Weddell Seal taken in the Antarctic with a fully manual Bessa-R rangefinder (http://www.cameraquest.com/voigrf.htm).. Cold enuff for you?

Is there anything to keep a digital camera warm (besides body heat) in v. low temps?....like an insulated case or s/thing?

Is there anything to keep a digital camera warm (besides body heat) in v. low temps?....like an insulated case or s/thing?

probably putting a camera in an insulated bag.
but then.. whats the point?
the battery life is going to go out very very fast in such cold conditions

what type of environment will you be using it at -40C? The poles? :think:

leica R6.2
Leica M7

can:)

some expensive and special R and M lenses can also:)

I'm afraid at such extreme conditions, you aren't just concerned about battery life, but also condensation and how electronics work. I would suggest a manual camera to be safe.

Even so, do read up on how such photographers handle in such extremes of environment. I'm afraid such conditions are not commonly met by most of us here and it will be wiser to seek opinion of those who had been there and done it.

what type of environment will you be using it at -40C? The poles? :think:

Hahaha...shouldda seen your site first...

you may want to check with him for his experience and recommendation. Tink photography is also his hobby. :think:

I think you need to improvised. You can get a heat pack- those sell winter clothing do sell heat pack- made in japan. You will need to figure out how to wrap the camera up together with the heat pack(rather small). That's the best i can think of.

Please tell us what are you trying to shoot at this temperature and where ?? I have just read an article on national geographic about these 2 guys went all the way to north pole during winter season! Madness.. I think China heilongjiang harbin(did i spell correctly) maybe -40.

Please tell us what are you trying to shoot at this temperature and where ?? I have just read an article on national geographic about these 2 guys went all the way to north pole during winter season! Madness.. I think China heilongjiang harbin(did i spell correctly) maybe -40.

She's going to the poles. ;)

Harbin not -40 yet.

Hmmm...., this thread caused by movie "The Day After Tomorrow" :think: .

Regards,
Arto.

Hmmm...., this thread caused by movie "The Day After Tomorrow" :think: .

Regards,
Arto.

Check out TS homepage in the profile, something of a challenge. :thumbsup:

TDAT scenario has already happened... recently there were reports of huge chunk of ice broke of into the ocean... about 40 years earlier than predicted.

Cameras are known to work at the Poles, on top of Everest, in Siberia etc etc. All extreme conditions. Its the proper handling I believe, ie. if you're looking for a camera that you can just sling around your neck and walk around in -40deg, then it'll be hard...

Yes am hoping to go to the Poles in 2009 if can raise the cash for it.....and Evenstar hope I can operate in that temperature :eek: (will let you know in Feb)

From all yr suggestion my options are:

1. Manual camera e.g. Bessa-R rangefinder or leica R6.2/M7.....
(are these point and click?....am a total amature here)...think I might have an old Konica....but guess I should be looking at a camera with a good lenses?

2. Digital camera - if can insulate - using Lithium batteries as these may operate up to -40 degrees C (says so on the packaging!!!)

3. Have a chat with SC (him)

By the way CYRN who's TS?

From all yr suggestion my options are:

1. Manual camera e.g. Bessa-R rangefinder or leica R6.2/M7.....
(are these point and click?....am a total amature here)...think I might have an old Konica....but guess I should be looking at a camera with a good lenses?

2. Digital camera - if can insulate - using Lithium batteries as these may operate up to -40 degrees C (says so on the packaging!!!)

3. Have a chat with SC (him)

You might wanna to have a chat with those Cam makers (some decision makers, not those sales staff). Canon, Nikon, Oly..etc... try to convince them to sponsor cam and accessories for your trip. :think:

You might wanna to have a chat with those Cam makers (some decision makers, not those sales staff). Canon, Nikon, Oly..etc... try to convince them to sponsor cam and accessories for your trip. :think:

I think this a very good idea. Write out a proposal and send it to the various camera maunfacturers. A Singaporean expedition to the Poles can be a very good form of advertisement for them, and you may get some sponsor equipments.

Status
Not open for further replies.