openoffice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
does almost everything MS office does... only dats its free!

some compatibility issues regarding certain MS office only features and fonts. other than dat, it works. i've downloaded and tested it.

you can download and try lor.
You can tweak it and make it CliveOffice if you want.

Very compatible with microsoft office documents. I think slowly all will push towards a common, generic office XML standard.

my office use it... so far so good, if no external distribution (like share doc with 3rd party) i think it's as good as ms-word. btw, i think most people tend to use 10% of the functionality of this apps.

;p

i using it at home coz its free, its great, definately gives microsoft office a serious run for their $.

i use it too. But I feel that the starting up is very slow. My PC is old one, though.. Pentium III 600mhz with 512mb RAM.

It's a good suite of softwares. you may face some problems exchanging files with others. It's not 100% compatible with Microsoft stuff.

But hey... it's free. :)

Adiemus said:
It's a good suite of softwares. you may face some problems exchanging files with others. It's not 100% compatible with Microsoft stuff.

But hey... it's free. :)
its is actually... running a laptop with Red Hat Linux... comes with openoffice.org... it can work with all office documents... The writer can save .doc files all the way to Office XP and Calc will do the same for Excel... Presentation, well, haven't opened it b4 so i dunno about that...

clive said:
any1 has experience wif this?

http://www.openoffice.org/

:think:

I've been using it for over 12 months - writer and calc (On RedHat Linux) and annying my Microsoft using collegues by storing the 'master' copies of all my work in oo format which Office can't read. (But easly could is M$ so desired, oo format files are just zip files containing several easly parsed XML files...) Only the finished versions of my work are exported to M$ format for their consumption.

My only gripe is that the Mac version is behind the Unix/Win32 versions. The OSX version also run's under Xwindows and not Aqua so the look and feel scares off Mac people. (Half my office uses MacOSX the other half Windows and I use Fedora Core 2)

A friends partner has written a book on how to use oowriter. (I've not however seen her book...)

mmm..thnx 4 /e +ve feedback..looks like me shld try ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.